Author Topic: Insteon range problem  (Read 1398 times)

Offline kartcon

Insteon range problem
« on: April 02, 2012, 10:02:14 am »
I just got two I/O Linc modules and a PLM. The issue I am having is getting the two to talk at distances greater than 10-12 feet. In the same room they work like they're supposed to, but beyond that no luck. I don't think the phase issue is the problem because in each test both components are on the same floor, and I've tried numerous outlets in several rooms.

If I can't get this figured out soon, my only option is to return them. I am open to any suggestions.

Kartcon

Offline fba

• If it ain't broke, I ain't touched it yet.
    • Altsteon
Re: Insteon range problem
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 11:06:04 am »
You can rule out the phase issue easily enough by looking at your breaker box.   Make sure the breakers that control the outlets in both locations are on the same side of the panel.   It wouldn't be unusual for outlets in different rooms on the same floor to be on different phases.

The other thing that could be a problem is noise on the line.   Any number of things could be causing noise.   Look at computers that are on, fridges, or other large appliances.   Try unplugging them and see if the range increases.

If you can chase down which device is causing the noise, you can buy a filter to 'fix' the issue.

Unfortunately, Insteon doesn't have much to help with troubleshooting.  You just have to guess and check.   
Vera 3, Altsteon, (Insteon: Relay (Smarthome & Icon), Dimmer (Smarthome), Keypadlinc, 2420M, Triggerlinc, IOLinc, Garage Hawk, Venstar Thermostat, Fanlinc, MI lock, Appliancelinc, Synchrolinc, iMeter), CurrentCost, (Z-Wave: Schlage lock, GE Appliance switch), AutHomation