Author Topic: Why do people come to this blog to bash vera  (Read 1209 times)

Offline RichieB

Re: Why do people come to this blog to bash vera
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 08:04:59 pm »
Why post here? Because there are folks from Vera here like Sorin to hear it. If I post on Twitter it may or may not get noticed. It might get more attention but not from the right people. Here there is the chance it could actually get better.

Thanks for the mention @kigmatzomat.
Things are getting better, even tho not at the pace desired by everyone.

I'm mostly staying on the side and only intervene when is totally necessary, but TONS of useful reports and feedback is gathered from the community which is served to the R&D team. Many things I see here hurt, but I guess people are not only here to rejoice the amazing constructive content built by the community, but also to express frustration, which is OK. When things are not working as expected, this is one way of being heard.

We don't moderate constructive negativity even tho sometimes it tends to hurt the brand. And we surely keep our fingers crossed for some positiveness as well  8)

Sorin..

Today's unreachable devices.. Support has been in and out over the last week and then come to the solution that it is my Z-Wave network? Isn't the Vera at the heart of my Z-Wave network? These devices all worked before the last f/w update and now nothing but issues. The pumps filter my pool and having them not triggering when they're supposed to will have a detrimental result. I need my VeraPlus to work. ALL THE TIME.

ask them to downgrade the zwave chip

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2018, 08:41:05 pm »
Why post here? Because there are folks from Vera here like Sorin to hear it. If I post on Twitter it may or may not get noticed. It might get more attention but not from the right people. Here there is the chance it could actually get better.

I'm mostly staying on the side and only intervene when is totally necessary, but TONS of useful reports and feedback is gathered from the community which is served to the R&D team. Many things I see here hurt, but I guess people are not only here to rejoice the amazing constructive content built by the community, but also to express frustration, which is OK. When things are not working as expected, this is one way of being heard.

We don't moderate constructive negativity even tho sometimes it tends to hurt the brand. And we surely keep our fingers crossed for some positiveness as well  8)

Sorin..

Today's unreachable devices.. Support has been in and out over the last week and then come to the solution that it is my Z-Wave network? Isn't the Vera at the heart of my Z-Wave network? These devices all worked before the last f/w update and now nothing but issues. The pumps filter my pool and having them not triggering when they're supposed to will have a detrimental result. I need my VeraPlus to work. ALL THE TIME.

ask them to downgrade the zwave chip

I thought this was integral to the f/w? Can this be done without rolling back the f/w? Have you done it, Richie?

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 12:21:30 am »

Gonna let that slide. :)

My one fundamental issue comes down to quality control during releases. Its like "beta is the version before prod" is treated as a mandate rather than a philosophy. 

I have an app development team. Almost every time our stuff breaks, it's because someone made a change after UAT (beta) and ran it straight to prod. All code move scripts, configuration files, all tools, everything that gets code to prod should be used to get the code from Dev to qa.

Look at Apple's new laptops. Somebody made some firmware changes, failed to include a thermal profile, and the laptop would flake out under certain kinds of sustained loads.

That's a post-UAT change making it to prod with notable consequences.

Never release any code that doesn't go through a full user acceptance test, whatever threshold "full"  may be. Any code that fails uat gets fixed and run through uat again, NOT released to prod "because it's fixed now".  Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

Right now everyone in your engineering team should have a plenty of examples to say to each other: "remember firmware x.y.z where we changed the tumteetum, didn't qa it,  and it broke in prod? Let's not repeat that".

Offline kwieto

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 08:57:27 am »
There are people out there that love IOS and others that love android.... this is no different than what we have here.  I have the VERA secure and love it and I come to this blog to learn from other VERA users.   I think the anti-VERA users should move on.

Somewhere else I wrote that in my opinion lot of users (including myself) are "hostages". They use Vera rather because they are forced to, not really like the experience.
There are lot of reasons why someone may stick to Vera even not liking it very much.
Home automation systems are not as easy to replace one with another as for example oven or TV set. You put a lot of effort to make your system working (so called "sunken costs") and consider a change as a big challenge. There is no ideal Home Automation system available, Vera has some advantages over the other sysems too.
Many people here don't really want to move on, but they feel forced to do such, due to inertion of the company, which makes Vera product more and more obsolete over time.

Complaining users are loyal (If they wouldn't, they would just move on) and still have hope that their needs will be listened.

Speaking for myself, I don't really want to spend time for rebuilding my system from the scratch with other controller, learning how to set it up to have similar functionality as I have now. But over time I started to consider Vera as a blind road, as with their current offer (both hardware and software) their product is not up to the changes in the modern world (let's speak just about integration with other systems, even via a "prosthesis" solution like IFTTT).
I still have Vera and don't want to change it till it work, so I complain in hope that I'll be listened.
But If my controller would broke today, I would probably change it for some other solution and as a result stop writing on this forum.

Offline kwieto

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 09:04:25 am »
I keep coming here because part of me hopes a magic firmware will come out and my veraplus will become as stable as my UI5 vera3 was.

And the hope dies last

Offline bucko

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 11:11:01 am »
Mine did break....twice. I'm waiting for my new Hubitat to arrive and I will start over after 5 years struggling with Vera.
Vera 3, 40+ Fibaro relays & dimmers, IPUX cams, Elk M1 Gold, M1XEP, M1SP, XVOR, M1RB, Elk124, Monoprice HDMI matrix & 6 zone amp, Denon AVR, Panasonic A8000, BI DV,On Controls

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2018, 01:56:49 pm »

Sorin..

Okay. This is what I've done thus far..

I excluded the Motion Sensor and power-cycled the Garage Door Opener Relay. I the re-included the Motion Sensor but I think I chose the wrong model. It paired but said it was a AEON not a Zooz so it is not reliably connected. OTOH, the Garage Door Relay is happy and the near-by Christmas Lights in-box switch is as well. Issues with my Pool Pumps seem to have gone away too but that was always intermittent so time will tell if it comes back. Things are looking up!