Author Topic: Aeotec Smart Dimmer 6  (Read 257 times)

Offline rafale77

Aeotec Smart Dimmer 6
« on: July 30, 2018, 03:46:47 pm »
Just added a smart dimmer to the vera and though it appears to complete configuration properly, it creates 2 ghost child devices with no name hidden from the UI. I can see them on openLuup and ALTUI. Not a big deal.
The bigger problem is that it seems to crash the backup function. Whenever I try to get a backup of the zwave dongle, it causes a luup reload, failure of the backup (no last backup date) and iteration of recreation of the ghost devices leading device numbers to go up to wazoo.
I also got at one point a cannot write user data in my alerts. What a mess...
The energy meter on it does not work...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 04:06:25 pm by rafale77 »
openLuup (97 devices, 134 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (138 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 205 devices, 20 scenes , 2 app) Bridged to Homekit and Alexa. VeraPlus ExtRooted!

Offline rafale77

Re: Aeotec Smart Dimmer 6
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 12:29:59 am »
Fixed the power usage report, now I found out why this thing is such a mess. The auto configuration creates these two hidden child devices, which are not up to norm, then during the zwave backup, the vera runs a script which checks the user-data.json and deletes the broken devices, first luup reload. Then during the luup reloads, it reconfigures the dimmer and re-creates the two ghost devices with incremental device number and boom! second luup reload. I tried stopping the automatic configuration of the device but it did not seem to work. MCV how was this tested and how did it pass? You even have a wizard for this device!
openLuup (97 devices, 134 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (138 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 205 devices, 20 scenes , 2 app) Bridged to Homekit and Alexa. VeraPlus ExtRooted!

Offline rafale77

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 01:25:27 am »
Fixed the problem myself,
Using ALTUI, I edited the properties of the 2 child devices:
1. Give them names (I called them dummy1 and dummy2)
2. Add a device xml and json files and implementation file (I used D_GenericIO1.xml, D_GenericIO1.json and I_ZWave.xml respectively I don't think what you use matters since they are dummy and invisible)
3. Reload Luup.

Try to do zwave backup.

Offline ChrisTheC

• Baltimore, MD & Washington, DC
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 07:45:50 am »
Fixed the problem myself, . . .

Thanks for the info, marking this thread (just in case)

I purchased one of these many months ago on sale from Amazon, but have not yet found a use for it. So for now, it remains in the box.

Chris
openLuup with ALTUI, ALTHUE, 8x iPhoneLocators, Harmony Hub, Honeywell Wifi T-stat, Foscam Fi8608w & 2x R2, bridged to . . .
Vera 3/UI5 with Schlage BE469NX, 3x EZMotion+, 3x Ecolink PIR, 3x Schlage door sensors, 2x Aeotec micro switches, 2x Aeotec appliance switches, Leviton RZM10 & DZMX1, Wemo

Offline rafale77

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 12:04:14 pm »
These are pretty good plug-in dimmers actually. I bought one to replace the old Jasco/GE which suddenly started crashing since the last firmware update.