Author Topic: Vera Secure - Question about power fail behavior  (Read 396 times)

Offline rigpapa

Vera Secure - Question about power fail behavior
« on: August 01, 2018, 03:55:20 pm »
I'm working with another member that has a Vera Secure (I do not). He is observing that when he has a short power loss, a fan controller of his that was previously on comes back up in "off" state, but the battery-backed Vera Secure is unaware of it (still thinks it's "on"), because the blackout was too short to cause Z-wave timeouts or other behaviors that might induce reconfiguration of the device(s).

The Question: It seems also that Vera Secure does not reload Luup on power restore (going back to AC from DC/battery). Is that correct? Such a reload would be one way for the devices to get back in sync, as the restart of Z-wave would include query and configuration. But I'm guessing it doesn't do that, based on the other member's report.

I only have a Plus, so I can't really test this. What I observe on my Plus is that my devices are pretty well-behaved, and in short power outages, they come back on to whatever state they were last in. My circumstances aren't a great test, because my home is generator-backed, so unless I'm having a really bad day, I don't have outages that last much more than 10-15 seconds.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 04:01:02 pm by rigpapa »
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3 sandbox.

Offline gniknalu

Re: Vera Secure - Question about power fail behavior
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 11:42:20 am »
The Question: It seems also that Vera Secure does not reload Luup on power restore (going back to AC from DC/battery). Is that correct? Such a reload would be one way for the devices to get back in sync, as the restart of Z-wave would include query and configuration. But I'm guessing it doesn't do that, based on the other member's report.

That would be a good idea. I'm sure you could script it since going on/off battery is just another event.

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 11:50:17 am »
... I'm sure you could script it since going on/off battery is just another event.

Are you saying that VeraSecure already implements an event for that transition? If so, can you point me to it?
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3 sandbox.

Offline gniknalu

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 12:18:20 pm »
Are you saying that VeraSecure already implements an event for that transition? If so, can you point me to it?

In my VeraSecure log, in the past, I've seen an event saying the battery is disconnected but just now I pulled the power plug and no event was logged.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 12:22:08 pm by gniknalu »

Offline wilme2

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 04:51:52 pm »
For a long enough power outage, you could check Battery Level, but I don't see a variable indicating something like "OnBattery".  The status in the created device is the siren being on-or-off.

Vera Control, having a "OnBattery" property would make a lot of sense.
Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Offline wilme2

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 04:53:00 pm »
In my VeraSecure log, in the past, I've seen an event saying the battery is disconnected but just now I pulled the power plug and no event was logged.

There is a property to check if the battery is connected called "BatteryConnection".
Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 05:04:16 pm »

There is a property to check if the battery is connected called "BatteryConnection".

OK. Found that in the UI code. Also found that the UI presents information from BatteryInfo. Can someone with a VeraSecure please post the contents of this variable?

Offline wilme2

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 05:38:59 pm »
OK. Found that in the UI code. Also found that the UI presents information from BatteryInfo. Can someone with a VeraSecure please post the contents of this variable?

urn:micasaverde-com:G550Siren1 / BatteryInfo:  { "total": 14400, "available": 14112, "used": 288, "level": 98, "intervals": [ { "start": 0, "textColor": "#FFEE3241", "circleColor": "#FFEE3241", "end": 9 }, { "start": 10, "textColor": "#FFF48220", "circleColor": "#FFF48220", "end": 24 }, { "start": 25, "textColor": "#FFEABD1E", "circleColor": "#FFFCC608", "end": 49 }, { "start": 50, "textColor": "#FF24803E", "circleColor": "#FF049E4A", "end": 100 } ], "previous_idx": 1 }