Author Topic: Upgrade from Vera Edge to Vera Secure - bricked 2 new Secure units  (Read 108 times)

Offline mbaker171

Hopefully someone will get some useful information from my experience.

I followed the upgrade guides to the letter and did get the Secure to boot successfully but:

It wouldn't connect to the Vera servers to allow remote login which meant I couldn't do much as I wasn't logged in.
I did manage to establish that the issue seemed to be related to DataMine 2. On my second unit before I installed a previous Edge image I removed DataMine 2 and it all worked fine. It connected to the Vera servers ok and I could log in ok.

Then I installed DataMine 2 to Secure which worked ok but I lost the ability to login because it couldn't connect to the Vera servers. Otherwise local access was fine. In the wi-fi section it said the internet connection was ok.
So I tried to go back to the first image I had without DataMine using the UI to restore a previous image(I have done this many times on different Vera devices and it's always worked). However on this occasion it appeared to brick the Secure.

The power light is on

The internet light is blink fast

The Service light is slowly blinking.

I can see the wi-fi service is active and can connect but no traffic comes from the device.

No other lights are on.

6 clicks of reset does nothing.

30 secs on enables power down.

3 clicks does nothing.

Vera support tried logging into it through my Windows desktop... no joy.. a total brick...

I think the deadly combination is:
Image loaded and running but fails to connect to the Vera Servers so you can't log in followed by a restore from a local image. The UI said it had worked!

I'm going to send the second unit back as well... this time they can keep it. I think there is some basic problem with these units as they break too easierly.

Shame as I very much want Vera to succeed.