Author Topic: Help with Tornado warning script  (Read 244 times)

Offline tmuscedere

Help with Tornado warning script
« on: August 21, 2018, 09:26:25 am »
Hello,

I have gone through old posts and was wondering if someone could help me a script or scene i am trying to setup on my vera. I would like a warning indicator of some sort should we get a tornado warning through the middle of the night. Has anyone successfully done this? If so, how did you set it up?

Thanks

Offline Jamr

Re: Help with Tornado warning script
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 11:14:26 am »
I do this for alerts when it snows. Not what you asked but it is easily available and easy to do.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ifttt+tornado+warning&oq=ifttt+tornado+warning&aqs=chrome..69i57.6496j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 01:00:59 pm »
This would be a good job for SiteSensor with the here.com REST APIs. There's a feed for weather alerts and specifically NWS alerts. I believe both of these can be used with their "Freemium" account (if you limit your queries to every 10-15 minutes, you'd get good granularity and not come close to their free tier monthly cap).
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3 sandbox.

Offline gibby

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 06:12:35 pm »
When work slows down I will work on cleaning up my code and post it on github. Should be easy to modify for Vera.

It ran on my PBX and would scrape NOAA every XX minutes and if it found an alert that matched what I was looking for it would blast the tornado siren through the Cisco VOIP phones on speaker(like a whole house intercom) and then read the alert.

It was nice, because you could even install an App on mobile like the Grandstream App and it would work on those devices too.

Offline zekelion

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 03:07:40 pm »
Most of the weather alert radios have a plug for a strobe for the hearing impaired.  I've connected a zwave dry contact (I used the pinouts for a zwave door sensor) to the strobe plug on a Midland WR120B through a relay.  I have it set to turn my Hue bulbs red whenever there's a weather warning.  It's been super reliable and isn't dependent on internet access (aside from the requirements of the Hue hub).

Offline gibby

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 05:09:42 pm »
Most of the weather alert radios have a plug for a strobe for the hearing impaired.  I've connected a zwave dry contact (I used the pinouts for a zwave door sensor) to the strobe plug on a Midland WR120B through a relay.  I have it set to turn my Hue bulbs red whenever there's a weather warning.  It's been super reliable and isn't dependent on internet access (aside from the requirements of the Hue hub).

This is cool!

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 09:28:03 pm »
I have a weather underground key, which I don't think you can get easily anymore. I think there may be a new weather app though.

I had logic that looked for tornado watch/warnings and uses an aeotec zwave "doorbell" to play a pre-recorded mp3 warning message. Warnings also turned on lights in the bedrooms.

Offline gibby

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 09:13:42 am »
I have a weather underground key, which I don't think you can get easily anymore. I think there may be a new weather app though.

I had logic that looked for tornado watch/warnings and uses an aeotec zwave "doorbell" to play a pre-recorded mp3 warning message. Warnings also turned on lights in the bedrooms.

I use weather underground key too in a couple areas. I started hitting the limit so I was able to sign up for another free one.