We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Leviton VRS15 switch won't include  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Stella2012

• Sr. Newbie
Leviton VRS15 switch won't include
« on: June 03, 2012, 01:52:13 pm »
I've been trying all morning to get my Leviton VRS15 switch to be included with my Vera 3, but having zero luck, and I can't find any troubleshooting anywhere in the Mios documentation or the Wiki.  The process I'm following is: 

1) Turn on the Vera 3
2) After the Z wave indicator light turns on, push the Z wave button so that the light is blinking
3) Click the light switch so that the lights turn on

Seems so simple, but the Vera doesn't flicker at all, and doesn't recognize the switch.  Same goes for the 4-button zone controller I'm trying to add.  The only device I have added so far is a VRI06 dimmer switch.  The VRS15 is a 3-way on/off switch controlling some fluorescents.

Any suggestions?  How to I make Vera recognize the switch?  Thanks!

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
Re: Leviton VRS15 switch won't include
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 02:03:01 pm »
The steps you've outlined are correct.  When you do the pairing, make sure that Vera is very close to the "Load" end of the 3-Way setup (the VRS15), not the matching switch end (the VP0xx).  The light activation/press during pairing should also be on the VRS15 and not the matching switch.

They look basically the same, so it's easy to mix them up once installed.

BTW, was the VRS15 new when you installed it, or previously used?  If it was used before, you may need to do an Exclude prior to including it to flush out any previous Home association from the device.

Offline Stella2012

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 02:15:12 pm »
I'm at the load end of the switch (not at the remote end), so that shouldn't be an issue.  I was able to get the zone controller added by holding down the 1&3 buttons, but the switch still isn't recognized.  It's a brand new install, so the switch had never been used before - I just tried flipping the breaker to see if that would reset the switch, but still no luck.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 02:43:41 pm »
ok, try following the Exclude procedure first:
    http://docs5.mios.com/doc.php?language=1&manual=1&platform=3Lite&page=include_mode

After the above, you should then attempt to re-include the device. 

Leviton switches also document a method for a Factory-reset, using the switches built-in air-gap, in their paperwork but this won't reset any associated Z-Wave HomeID so you'll want to try that first.

Offline Stella2012

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 07:51:25 pm »
I excluded and included again, and it finally worked - thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately the zone controller still doesn't work - despite being added and the scenes working via the website, the buttons themselves don't work.  I'll get the green "transmit ok" confirmation, but no lights will turn on. 

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 11:13:44 am »
@Stella2012,

Welcome!

Some questions:
Which zone controller do you have?
You got the 'transmit ok' for which device?
How did you assign the scenes to the buttons?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:20:16 am by oTi@ »
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline Stella2012

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 12:23:20 pm »
I received the "transmit ok" and the lights for the buttons I had programmed were lit up, but nothing would happen when I would hit the button.  In the end, after too many hours of fiddling, I was able to find a forum post that described adding "groups" to the controller advanced options in addition to adding the scenes, and that worked. 

Is there any place where can I find detailed step-by-step instructions for setting up devices, or troubleshooting information?  The Mios "manual" is sorely lacking, so if there's another source, the info would be much appreciated.  I still have a Somfy shade controller and several more switches to install (include two for controlling Par 16 bulbs, which the instructions say aren't compatible).  Thanks!!

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 12:41:40 pm »
Mmm; now I'm really curious to find out which zone controller you have; can you specify the brand and model number?
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline Stella2012

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 01:38:43 pm »
Just a standard Leviton VRCZ4, which is the 4-zone controller, and I'm using it to control a VRS15 (fluorescents) with one button and a VRI06 (dimmer, incandescents) with another button. 

Only associating scenes didn't work, I had to create the "group" function and assign the lights in the scene to the group.