Author Topic: Hardwired Combo Smoke/CO Interconnect  (Read 104 times)

Offline Ronkmd

Hardwired Combo Smoke/CO Interconnect
« on: August 11, 2018, 03:10:25 pm »
I have a bunch of outdated hardwired smoke detectors that need replacing so I've been doing a bit of reading on the subject. Still have some questions though. I'm thinking of using one Combo Smoke/CO unit per floor and Smoke-only for the remaining units, integrating into Vera and Honeywell Vista alarm system. Since there is a single interconnect line linking the units, does that mean that there is some kind of communication logic used to distinguish a smoke event from a CO event? I see that Kidde offers 2 different relay models, one for smoke and one for CO. This seems to be the only brand to offer this, so I'm leaning towards getting the Kidde detector units vs. whatever other brands, like FirstAlert  or BRK.

On the other hand, it seems that all the currently available Z-wave sensors are only battery powered, so I'm discouraged from using that method. I also have two smoke/fire detectors hardwired into the Vista panel as one zone. I have to check if these are photoelectric or ionization units. I guess I'll have to add a wireless zone each for the new Smoke and CO sensors.

Am I missing something important before I pull the trigger on the purchasing? Thanks!

Offline kigmatzomat

Re: Hardwired Combo Smoke/CO Interconnect
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 06:04:28 pm »
Remember all CO detectors wear out over time. Whatever you get, be prepared to replace the CO units every couple of years.

Offline Jamr

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 03:21:02 am »
Remember all CO detectors wear out over time. Whatever you get, be prepared to replace the CO units every couple of years.

The Nest Protects say theirs will last 10 years. Well worth the extra money they cost.
https://nest.com/support/article/When-do-I-need-to-replace-my-Nest-Protect

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 08:24:09 pm »
Most manufacturer's smoke/carbon monoxide alarms last only 10 years. I just replaced mine last year (house built in 1999). Mine are interconnected but I could not find an economical powered smoke alarm with z-wave. On my list is the z-wave relay I can add to trigger Vera. 
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb