We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Outdoor light wall switch - Z-wave, Insteon, or X-10?  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Abscam

• Sr. Newbie
Outdoor light wall switch - Z-wave, Insteon, or X-10?
« on: April 15, 2012, 02:52:52 pm »
I was running x-10 before.  My situation is I have three old skinny light switches all within the same plate (side by side). One controls the entry way, one controls the living room, and the third controls out front door outdoor light.

I can't find any Z-wave wall switches with the skinny switch - they are all the wider rocker switch.  It appears there are Insteon switches available and I know there are X-10 skinny switches available.  Does anyone have a recommendation on how to address this?

The current X-10 switch is malfunctioning - turns on/off when it likes and I don't even have the controller plugged into the wall any longer.  I'd like to replace it and control it under Vera with a dusk to dawn or dusk plus six hours scene.

Any tips to consider?  I'd control all three light switches I suppose, if I had that option, but I'd need to replace all three (expensive) and get a wall plate that would accommodate three wide switches.  I'm flummuxed.  Thanks.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Outdoor light wall switch - Z-wave, Insteon, or X-10?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 04:03:43 pm »
Have a look at the aeon labs micro switches. They allow you to use your existing switches.

- Garrett

guest13871

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 04:45:10 pm »
"Skinny" vs. "wide" shouldn't matter as far as installation goes; they are all made to fit into standard electrical boxes.  The faceplate should be the only issue.  For installations such as yours there are companies that make modular switch plates.  You buy the sections you need (standard switch, Decora-style switch, receptacle, etc.) and snap them together to make a gang faceplate.  Might not be the greatest aesthetic but it is a solution.  Either Lowes or Homies or both should carry them.

Offline hotchkiss

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 04:28:29 pm »
Our Home Depot and Lowes carry 3 wide switch plates with your choice of 1, 2 or 3 wide slots in them.

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 09:35:34 am »
"Skinny" vs. "wide" shouldn't matter as far as installation goes; they are all made to fit into standard electrical boxes.  The faceplate should be the only issue.  For installations such as yours there are companies that make modular switch plates.  You buy the sections you need (standard switch, Decora-style switch, receptacle, etc.) and snap them together to make a gang faceplate.  Might not be the greatest aesthetic but it is a solution.  Either Lowes or Homies or both should carry them.

But gangable plates look like poop. If you can't find the exact plate you need your local electrical supply joint can order it.
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.