We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Fibaro Z-Wave door/window sensors not completely reliable in Vera  (Read 294 times)

Offline lecter

Hey,

Since installing Home Assistant and using Vera just as a z-wave controller, I've noticed a really annoying issue with my front door sensor, especially in the morning.

I've tried using a different (but same model) sensor and it did not resolve the issue, it simply does not always change its status (even though the LED lights up when the door opens).

It's clearly a Vera issue, because it's showing it incorrectly in the Vera UI and that value is then taken by Home Assistant as well.

What can I do?

I read somewhere that Vera does some z-wave "renewal" crap at night with the entire network and that this might cause problems in the morning and it does seem to (mostly) go away later in the day.

Any ideas?

Offline pls90

Re: Fibaro Z-Wave door/window sensors not completely reliable in Vera
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 03:57:46 am »
I have had the same issue for a very long time. Vera simply misses the untripped signal from the sensor. This also happens for me with motion sensors quite offen.
Since Vera is not capable of handling the most basic zwave functions reliably keeping Vera as a mere zwave radio is not a solution. I am perfectly happy with openluup and AltUI for handling the automation side of things, for the zwave portion I still have to find a new solution.
Don't bother with trying other sensors, excluding / reincluding, I did that over and over. It's the Vera that is the problem.

Offline lecter

Re: Fibaro Z-Wave door/window sensors not completely reliable in Vera
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 04:09:29 am »
Thanks a lot for the info!

In this case, for me the solution is clear: Aeotec USB Z-Stick on a Raspberry Pi, running a Home Assistant instance strictly for Z-Wave support. My Main Home Assistant instance being on a virtualized Ubuntu server, I can't use a Z-Stick there, so I'll go for this dedicated option.

My Vera Plus will be relegated to my building's common areas, where it won't have to do much (currently I have an old rebranded/simplified Vera box there, so it will be an upgrade anyway).

I'm not expecting some kind of professional home security solution from Vera, but I don't think that catching simple sensor signals is too much to ask...it's ridiculous that it can't be reliable about this.