We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Outside Temperature Sensor  (Read 840 times)

Offline Jamr

Outside Temperature Sensor
« on: August 16, 2018, 11:56:47 pm »
Looking for an outside temp sensor to integrate with Vera for local temperatures to control various valves for freeze prevention.
Tired of messing with cloud based weather that works one day and not the next.
Anyone know of a setup or a weather station that will do this?
Priorities are price and reliability.
Thanks.

Offline therealdb

• Automate all the things!
Re: Outside Temperature Sensor
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 12:58:12 am »
I use a sonoff th 20, flashed with tasmota for my pool. Works like a charm.
I poll the sensor every two minutes and save the temperature back to a virtual sensor on my Vera.
Vera Edge EU, Fibaro FGRM 222 (14), Fibaro FGS 223 (26), Fibaro FGS 222 (6), Fibaro UBS (2), Fibaro+N Plug (3), NeoCoolCam Door Sensor (3), PIR (2) & Plugs (2), Nest (3), Home Server running my own integrations, Harmony Hub, OpenSprinkler, Personal Weather Station, Sonoff TH & more

Offline Cor

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 06:48:06 am »
I use the fibaro universal sensor for outide temperature measurements.
Working fine for over 3 years.

Cor

Offline jswim788

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 12:29:33 pm »
Another way to do it is to use the inexpensive Xiaomi sensors with mqtt.  See https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt for a sample.  This is a bit of a hack, but the senors are cheap and well constructed.  In my experience the sensors appear to be quite reliable, but the range is not as good as Z-Wave senors.  Xiaomi sensors are almost Zigbee - they can't be used directly with most Zigbee systems, but with a bit of hacking they can be made to work as in that github project.

Currently I'm going roundabout with Xiaomi to their gateway (internet blocked) to openHAB to openLuup/Vera, but I will be trying the more direct mqtt in the future.

Offline HSD99

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 02:00:12 pm »
Is this sensor directly exposed to the elements, or can it be in a protected location? Do you have extreme temperatures? I've used the Everspring ST-814 under a covered patio and in a remote shop building. I choose these because they also had an LCD readout for humans. The sensor in the shop provides the same functionality you describe and I have a couple of scenes that will either turn on the shop AC if the temperature gets above 95F, or turn on the heat if the temperature is below 35F, when the shop is unoccupied.

I've also used the Dome Door Sensor Pro, which has a temperature sensor and is Z-Wave Plus in similar locations, as well as the Aeotec Multisensor 6 in case you need everything.

Offline Jamr

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 11:02:32 pm »
I use a sonoff th 20, flashed with tasmota for my pool. Works like a charm.
I poll the sensor every two minutes and save the temperature back to a virtual sensor on my Vera.

This one is interesting.
https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-th.html
I found the switch at Amazon for under 16$
https://www.amazon.com/Sonoff-Temperature-Monitoring-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B0788R9GD5/ref=asc_df_B0788R9GD5/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241917938064&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7090206035171431888&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031422&hvtargid=pla-407931018871&psc=1#customerReviews
and the sensor for under 4$
https://www.ebay.com/i/332369803926?chn=ps&var=541374850718

@therealdb: Since it is WIFI, will it work with the Vera Edge that does NOT have WIFI?
@therealdb: Can you point us to any documentation on how to set this device up with Vera?

I use the fibaro universal sensor for outide temperature measurements.
Working fine for over 3 years.

Cor
Cor, do I need this binary switch along with the temp sensor? If so, I am guessing well over 50$ US?

Another way to do it is to use the inexpensive Xiaomi sensors with mqtt.  See https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt for a sample.  This is a bit of a hack, but the senors are cheap and well constructed.  In my experience the sensors appear to be quite reliable, but the range is not as good as Z-Wave senors.  Xiaomi sensors are almost Zigbee - they can't be used directly with most Zigbee systems, but with a bit of hacking they can be made to work as in that github project.

Currently I'm going roundabout with Xiaomi to their gateway (internet blocked) to openHAB to openLuup/Vera, but I will be trying the more direct mqtt in the future.
With reliability being one of my priorities, I am not sure if a hack is the way I want to go but thank you for the info.

Is this sensor directly exposed to the elements, or can it be in a protected location? Do you have extreme temperatures? I've used the Everspring ST-814 under a covered patio and in a remote shop building. I choose these because they also had an LCD readout for humans. The sensor in the shop provides the same functionality you describe and I have a couple of scenes that will either turn on the shop AC if the temperature gets above 95F, or turn on the heat if the temperature is below 35F, when the shop is unoccupied.

I've also used the Dome Door Sensor Pro, which has a temperature sensor and is Z-Wave Plus in similar locations, as well as the Aeotec Multisensor 6 in case you need everything.

No it will be mounted under a porch so it will be protected from the rain and sun but provide me with outdoor air temps.
I actually liked this one because it was cheap and easy but unfortunately it only uses batteries for a power source. Since I am weening myself off of battery use, it is a no go.
http://www.everspring.com/portfolio-item/st814-temperature-humidity-detector/

Thanks everyone for the responses.
Originally, I was going to go with the temp add on made by Vera "Virtual Outdoor Temperature Plugin (by MiOS)" but it has a lot of lag.
Here is a small graph of the temps taken from the last few days.

Date/Time   / Vera Temp / Actual Temperatures / Alexa
17/11:13   71   73.3   72
11:55   71   74.1   73
12:41   71   71.6   73
13.02   73   68.2   72
13.31   73   67.7   70
23.11   60   57   57
18/09:38   59   75.1   66
17:11   78   79.4   77
19/11:52   77   80.9   79
20/10:59   75   78.3   75
16:27   80   80   79
19:10   71   70   72

You may not be able to see it here with the small bit of sampling I have but Vera was off as much as 16.1 degrees and showed quite a bit of lag taking hours to catch up to the current temp. To be fair, Alexa was off also but not quite as much and caught up more quickly. Most of the time they were close but I would feel better using my own sensor.

I like the Itead smart switch because it is inexpensive, uses 110vac and it has a probe I can extend from inside my attic making the unit trouble and maintenance free. My only concern is its ability to communicate with my Vera Edge. This may be the product that makes me switch to a Vera Plus.

Offline therealdb

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 02:06:40 am »
I just flashed it with Sonota (search for it), using OTA. I choosed to use tasmota as firmware.
Then, I added a virtual temp device to my Vera.
Setup a scene to repeat every 2 minutes and get the current temp via http.

It doesn't matter if the edge has no wifi, you'll connect it to the same network and then it'll be OK.
I have it inside an outside box near the pool, we had a lot of rain this summer and it's still OK.
Vera Edge EU, Fibaro FGRM 222 (14), Fibaro FGS 223 (26), Fibaro FGS 222 (6), Fibaro UBS (2), Fibaro+N Plug (3), NeoCoolCam Door Sensor (3), PIR (2) & Plugs (2), Nest (3), Home Server running my own integrations, Harmony Hub, OpenSprinkler, Personal Weather Station, Sonoff TH & more

Offline ninkasi

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 03:30:15 am »
If you don't mind getting your geek hat on, I'd recommend https://www.mysensors.org/

I have an ESP8266 acting as a wifi gateway to the mysensor RF network. The remote sensors can run off batteries or something like a 9V power pack. I use DS18B20 waterproof sensors to monitor the temperature in my fridges and freezers. Accurate, reliable, and cheap. The gateway cost about $10 to make, each sensor is around the $5 mark.
Home Automation veteran. Rolled own, then MisterHouse and X10, now Vera - mysensor arduino and ESP8266 network - zwave lights, locks, switches - milights - yeelights - google home(s) - Broadlink RM - raspberry pi(s) with various scripts for power and weather station - Logitech Harmony - Imperihome

Offline therealdb

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 06:08:38 am »
I evaluate mysensors as well, but I opted for a simpler way.
Right now I'm on vacation, but I'll write a detailed guide when I'll be back.
Using Sonota no soldering is required, so it's pretty fast and easy if you like me aren't good at it.

Offline Jamr

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 01:02:47 pm »
I just flashed it with Sonota (search for it), using OTA. I choosed to use tasmota as firmware.
Then, I added a virtual temp device to my Vera.
Setup a scene to repeat every 2 minutes and get the current temp via http.

It doesn't matter if the edge has no wifi, you'll connect it to the same network and then it'll be OK.
I have it inside an outside box near the pool, we had a lot of rain this summer and it's still OK.

Picked up one of these. Unfortunately I have no idea on how to flash it or set up the http request. Looking at how to vids now.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.