Poll

Is there any specific capability or device we should integrate natively?

Advanced Scene Builder with multiple conditions and statements
Modular/Customizable user interface
Energy and Sensors logging and graphing
Virtual Switch/Sensor/Device creation
Wake on Lan/ Ping Sensor
System info/monitor
Specific device integration (name it)
Other features (name it)
Customizable alerts and notifications

Author Topic: Is there any specific capability or device we should integrate natively?  (Read 16618 times)

Offline cw-kid

• Beta Testers
Re: Is there any specific capability or device we should integrate natively?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 03:35:38 pm »
I've been using Vera since 2010 I think and have generally been happy with it, despite some up and downs over the years. I have had 3x Vera units started with a VeraLite then VeraEdge and currently using a VeraPlus.

As for the poll I would say all of the listed items are needed:

Advanced Scene Builder with multiple conditions and statements (PLEG)
 Modular/Customizable user interface (UI7 is functional but could be much improved)
 Energy and Sensors logging and graphing (Third party plugins offer this, but native functionality would be better)
 Virtual Switch/Sensor/Device creation (Yes please, can be done manually currently but you need to upload implementation files)
 Wake on Lan/ Ping Sensor (Third party plugins do exist)
 System info/monitor (Yes please)

In addition I would like to see better Alexa integration, Google Home integration (currently using Richard's Vera Concierge) and IFTTT support.

I have Philips Hue and Harmony Hubs integrated with those plugins which generally works well.

I use the 3rd party Imperihome mobile app for day to day control over Vera, never really liked the official Vera mobile app much.

PLEG !! if it wasn't for Richard's PLEG I would have left Vera a long time ago. PLEG is totally critical to using Vera for more complex automations and logic.

List of installed Vera plugins I am dependent on are:

Program Logic Core (PLC)
Program Logic Event Generator (PLEG)
Squeezebox Control (Legacy)
DLNA Media Controller (Linked to Kodi HTPCs)
UPnP Event Proxy
WOLPlusPing
Kodi Remote
Day or Night
MultiSwitch
VeraAlerts
CurrentCost EnviR Energy Monitor
ImperiHome
RGB Controller
Philips Hue 2
Countdown timer
Harmony Hub Control
Wunderground Weather Plugin
Magic Home Wifi LED Control

Offline Bert003

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 03:36:22 pm »
ZWAVE.ME Wallc-S wallswitch

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 03:36:39 pm »
I voted for conditional logic but wanted to vote for a few more.

A better android app that will 'see' custom plugins. If this is possible in iOS, why not android? I don't even use it but rather log into home.getvera.com every time I want to use the app because I can't control things I can control with the WebGUI or even ImperiHome.

I'd like to see better integration of Insteon Fanlinc. I have the Fanlincs and PLM in a box because I cannot automate them into Vera.

I'd like to see consistent stability, especially when new f/w's are released. The last few times have been a nightmare, bricking the device to the point that a CS agent had to remote into my laptop from Romania, of all places, to gain ssh / WinScrp access to the Vera Plus. This is completely unacceptable.

I'd like to see some better incorporation for HTTP control of devices as well. I was lucky enough to have rstrouse spend a few weekends developing that plugin with me. It is at ver 1.1 but still not in the store for whatever reason.

I'd like to have the turn knob on Schledge Locks arm and disarm my system..

I'd like...

I could go on and on but these are the top things for me.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 03:39:17 pm by Sammy2 »

Offline GWNorth

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 03:38:37 pm »
I would like to integrate Alarm panels like (DSC, Concord 4) into Vera controller.  This would allow many users to start using their existing pre-wired sensors in their homes which is already hooked into these Alarm panels.  This will be huge advantage for many users who want to cut the cord of contract based security systems.

I would add to this, the integration of Honeywell alarm panels.

The only reasonable way to do this may be through integration with the Envisalink 3 and 4 communication modules, but such an integration built in to Vera would be a great thing. Many people purchased particular alarm panels with the understanding we would be able to integrate them into Vera, only to be left in the dark because integration is dependent upon 3rd party developers who have been working for free.

While I am posting, a suitable, well supported marketplace for developers should be created. Developers should be able to sell and support their work through an integrated, supported marketplace, and should be rewarded for their efforts. Relying upon the goodwill of the customer community to provide needed functionality is no way to run a business.  Either this, or Vera should purchase and support the most needed plugins, based on user demand.

Offline therealdb

• Automate all the things!
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2018, 03:44:11 pm »
Scenes needs to survive reloads. Better scene engine is a must and I hope you'll integrate workflows.

Give us the ability to write templates for complex devices (ie: fans operared by a dedicated switch, but linked to a thermostat).

Do not let us wait two years to fix device support (I'm looking at Fibaro fgs223).

Let us disable unwanted services (Ra sync daemon, logs daemon, etc).
Vera Edge EU, Fibaro FGRM 222 (12), Fibaro FGS 223 (20), Fibaro FGS 222 (5), Fibaro Universal Binary Sensor (2), Fibaro Plug (3), NeoCoolCam Door Sensor (3), NeoCoolCam PIR (2), Nest (3), Home Server running my own integrations, Harmony Hub, OpenSprinkler, Personal Weather Station, Sonoff TH & more

Offline kirbyb

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 03:46:42 pm »
Been part of mios for 10? Years now, have 3 units, two in outbuildings.  I'd vote for native Google home integration.  Using Richards concierge now, but eliminating that server would be nice, and hopefully improve performance.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline darthray

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 03:48:42 pm »
Honestly, all items in that list are sorely needed right now. Vera has been lagging behind for a while and it shows -- it's hard to convince friend and family to use it with the current user experience offered by the platform (both web and through the iOS app). I can't even update my firmware without having to do a backup + full reset + update + restore cycle anymore. Looking around the device it appears uninstalling plug-ins still leave a bunch of files behind.

I've already started research for a replacement and just found this thread. I'll keep looking but learning about these efforts and the recent MiOS acquisition has given me hope. Let's see what happens to Vera going forward.

Offline alienz

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 03:51:06 pm »
I would like to integrate Alarm panels like (DSC, Concord 4) into Vera controller.  This would allow many users to start using their existing pre-wired sensors in their homes which is already hooked into these Alarm panels.  This will be huge advantage for many users who want to cut the cord of contract based security systems.

Offline Juppers

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 03:52:22 pm »
Full Insteon support that has been on the boxes for many many years. It's sad that it has been completely overlooked and Altsteon has to be hacked in to make it sort of functional.

And of course better scene conditionals. 

Offline Tsviper

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2018, 03:53:37 pm »
Homekit support would be HUGE for me.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2018, 03:54:49 pm »
Full Insteon support that has been on the boxes for many many years. It's sad that it has been completely overlooked and Altsteon has to be hacked in to make it sort of functional.

And of course better scene conditionals.

Insteon is there but try controlling or automating a Fanlinc with it. Not happening. I found threads that were 4 or 5 years old on this topic and asked questions but of course everyone in the thread had moved on from Vera and didn't respond. Other than turning on or off a light, Insteon doesn't work in Vera and for turning a light on or off there's no reason to use Insteon as a Z-Wave switch will suffice.

Offline amg0

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2018, 03:56:36 pm »
A few ideas ....

Integrations
- google home
- ifttt triggers and actions for any device or -
- storing and displaying device history

Devices
- as a rule , adoption of new should be much faster,  kpi should be less than a month, maybe using a zwave DB out there for those who accepts internet connections. For those who do not , they can wait the next release cycle to
- get a clearer mapping between zwave cmd classes and device supported actions and variable
- same for zig bee etc. Hue should be based on native ZLL integrations on vera edge and secure

UI
- customizable UI with ability to write plugins UI as JavaScript modules. Give library of js widgets for device UI
- support multi sized device panels ( masonry layout , drag and drop organisation of layout )
- skinable
- responsive design
- event driven programming model
- give a real oauth support for 3rd party apps user login
-  give a  unattended authentication scheme so that3rd party  api calls can be made without a user interactive presence if a consent was given earlier ( unattended oauth profiles )
- localization in EFIGS languages and support for plugin localizations

HW
Battery based gateway like Vera light. Ability to move close to device is key in some protocols like zwave include exclude

OS
- stop the ridiculous every 6 min Luup reload
- fix the restore backup issues , restoring a edge backup on a secure vera changes root pwd and fails most of the time
- easy upgrade , cleanup garbage files before, inssure sufficient space before
- in general we have to go back to basics and fix the root cause instead of triggering more luup reloads
- better asynchronicity in the device programming model . A handler taking 30s should not be a problem
- fix the sync mecanisms (semaphore ?) between OS and device handlers having to update devices structure
- give true timers that resist reloads/ reboots

Architecture
- get a real 3 tier architecture with IoTs, edge, and UI where powerful things ( scene triggers state-machine ) can happen in the edge , without user presence or user mobile app

Developers
- develop a community. Give them true SDK with true documentation
- do real beta program where people get info in advance and regular  updates versions to test ( perfect example of what not to do is ifttt. I got I it 12 m ago, gave inputs and .. no news no releases )
- give a real publishing workflow to a real App Store with real commercial managements
- give HW to developers

Offline notchy

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2018, 03:56:56 pm »
+1 for Google Home Assistance

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline michelhamelin

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2018, 03:57:27 pm »
-Sonos
-My Vera controller talk to my others Vera at remote location (main house talk to my vacation house)
-Google,Siri and Alexa
-Coutdowntimer
-Wink plugin
-in Ios app Not having to change controller when you have more then 1 controler.

Offline notchy

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2018, 03:59:15 pm »
+1 conditional logic

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk