Poll

Is there any specific capability or device we should integrate natively?

Advanced Scene Builder with multiple conditions and statements
Modular/Customizable user interface
Energy and Sensors logging and graphing
Virtual Switch/Sensor/Device creation
Wake on Lan/ Ping Sensor
System info/monitor
Specific device integration (name it)
Other features (name it)
Customizable alerts and notifications

Author Topic: Is there any specific capability or device we should integrate natively?  (Read 16617 times)

Offline lowway

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Is there any specific capability or device we should integrate natively?
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2018, 04:06:50 pm »
Integration to PVOutput via their API please

Offline JAnguita

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2018, 04:11:03 pm »
A few ideas ....

Integrations
- google home
- ifttt triggers and actions for any device or -
- storing and displaying device history

Offline markiper

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2018, 04:22:14 pm »
Wow, this is promising, but comes at a time when I have decided to move from Vera to HA; Vera's stability is by far the worse part of the product.  I get, on a daily basis, several alarms that the system is down due to internal processes restarting; and this is only gets worse as you try to automate things and rely on Vera's engine to hold for more than 24 hours without a glitch.

As a ZWave hub, great product.  I have been using it since 2006, started only with lights and switches; today I have: lights, switches, blinds, locks, relays, controllers, etc; but have started to do the heavy automation using HA.  I am still holding to my Vera unit, and hope that this change is for the best; but after 12 years, I had to look elsewhere for a true automation platform and HA seems to be the answer (also consider openHAB, but HA gives me a better feeling).

Hopefully we will hear good news, but the number one issue is stability, without it there isn't anything that will make Vera a competitive product.

Offline otolosa

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2018, 04:37:24 pm »
A few ideas ....

Integrations
- google home
- ifttt triggers and actions for any device or -
- storing and displaying device history

Devices
- as a rule , adoption of new should be much faster,  kpi should be less than a month, maybe using a zwave DB out there for those who accepts internet connections. For those who do not , they can wait the next release cycle to
- get a clearer mapping between zwave cmd classes and device supported actions and variable
- same for zig bee etc. Hue should be based on native ZLL integrations on vera edge and secure

UI
- customizable UI with ability to write plugins UI as JavaScript modules. Give library of js widgets for device UI
- support multi sized device panels ( masonry layout , drag and drop organisation of layout )
- skinable
- responsive design
- event driven programming model
- give a real oauth support for 3rd party apps user login
-  give a  unattended authentication scheme so that3rd party  api calls can be made without a user interactive presence if a consent was given earlier ( unattended oauth profiles )
- localization in EFIGS languages and support for plugin localizations

HW
Battery based gateway like Vera light. Ability to move close to device is key in some protocols like zwave include exclude

OS
- stop the ridiculous every 6 min Luup reload
- fix the restore backup issues , restoring a edge backup on a secure vera changes root pwd and fails most of the time
- easy upgrade , cleanup garbage files before, inssure sufficient space before
- in general we have to go back to basics and fix the root cause instead of triggering more luup reloads
- better asynchronicity in the device programming model . A handler taking 30s should not be a problem
- fix the sync mecanisms (semaphore ?) between OS and device handlers having to update devices structure
- give true timers that resist reloads/ reboots

Architecture
- get a real 3 tier architecture with IoTs, edge, and UI where powerful things ( scene triggers state-machine ) can happen in the edge , without user presence or user mobile app

Developers
- develop a community. Give them true SDK with true documentation
- do real beta program where people get info in advance and regular  updates versions to test ( perfect example of what not to do is ifttt. I got I it 12 m ago, gave inputs and .. no news no releases )
- give a real publishing workflow to a real App Store with real commercial managements
- give HW to developers

Gonna add better scene engine.....lot of ppl asking for that....but this post has everything im thinking of

Offline Thorden

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2018, 04:43:26 pm »
The LUA code in my scenes has been unreadable garbage since last December due to a coding bug. It has been reported by several users, but nothing has happened. It used to be fine, then was destroyed by a firmware upgrade. 8 months ago. Seriously?

My Fibaro FGS-223 devices don't work properly. Support keeps me busy telling me to exclude and include them again. Who are you trying to fool? The issue is well known and well documented, why can't you be honest with the issue, and tell us that the device is not fully supported? Better still, how hard can it be to support it in a proper way?

The unit is extremely unreliable and unstable, and not getting better as far as I can tell. I have been around since Vera 2, it was actually more stable and reliable back then. It is not a production ready, mature and stable system these days. People expect it to be a stable home automation and security solution, not a time consuming hobby or a toy to fiddle around with to pass time.

I am migrating away as soon as I can find the time. I have 80 scenes and more than 100 endpoints, so it won't be an easy task.
The problem you face is that I am not the only one. Look at the other forums, they are full of Vera refugees. They all complain about lack of stability, reliability and endless reboots that kill running scenes. It seems to be the main concerns.

Guys, you need to fix that, and fix it fast. Or there won't be many customers left to enjoy any new functionality. Make it work first of all.

Look to HomeSeer, offer the software standalone for Windows and Linux. The Vera hardware has limited value, for you and for the customers. You sell the HW and the SW bundled for $150. HomeSeer sell the software alone for $600, and you still have to pay for 3rd party plugins! But then, it works. And people buy it, and love it.
Face it, it is not the price of the controller that hurts the most. People pay tens of times more for devices. So why do the controller have to be "affordable" (cheap), and crappy? It doesn't.   

Offline Dpc131

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2018, 04:46:11 pm »
HomeKit, pretty, pretty please!

Offline Thorden

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2018, 04:57:56 pm »
The LUA code in my scenes has been unreadable garbage since last December due to a coding bug. It has been reported by several users, but nothing has happened. It used to be fine, then was destroyed by a firmware upgrade. 8 months ago. Seriously?

My Fibaro FGS-223 devices don't work properly. Support keeps me busy telling me to exclude and include them again. Who are you trying to fool? The issue is well known and well documented, why can't you be honest with the issue, and tell us that the device is not fully supported? Better still, how hard can it be to support it in a proper way?

The unit is extremely unreliable and unstable, and not getting better as far as I can tell. I have been around since Vera 2, it was actually more stable and reliable back then. It is not a production ready, mature and stable system these days. People expect it to be a stable home automation and security solution, not a time consuming hobby or a toy to fiddle around with to pass time.

I am migrating away as soon as I can find the time. I have 80 scenes and more than 100 endpoints, so it won't be an easy task.
The problem you face is that I am not the only one. Look at the other forums, they are full of Vera refugees. They all complain about lack of stability, reliability and endless reboots that kill running scenes. It seems to be the main concerns.

Guys, you need to fix that, and fix it fast. Or there won't be many customers left to enjoy any new functionality. Make it work first of all.

Look to HomeSeer, offer the software standalone for Windows and Linux. The Vera hardware has limited value, for you and for the customers. You sell the HW and the SW bundled for $150. HomeSeer sell the software alone for $600, and you still have to pay for 3rd party plugins! But then, it works. And people buy it, and love it.
Face it, it is not the price of the controller that hurts the most. People pay tens of times more for devices. So why do the controller have to be "affordable" (cheap), and crappy? It doesn't.

Just saw the other thread about the acquisition, so sorry for ranting in the wrong thread.
It seems promising. But why the focus on making the controller as low cost as possible? People run around purcahsing endpoints costing $50 or more each, why does the controller have to cost $10? Makes no sense to me.

Offline TheSaint

• I am me, and me is I!
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2018, 05:02:44 pm »
IFTTT and Google Assistant integration is a must have to keep up with everyone else.
This is my signature :)

Offline simonk83

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2018, 05:27:21 pm »
The functionalities of PLEG really should just be built in already (and now seems like the time to make that happen).  We really shouldn't need to pay for a plug-in to be able to have fine control over the system.

Offline intveltr

• Beta Testers
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2018, 05:27:45 pm »
Regarding a modular / customizable user interface: do you refer to the mobile client or Vera's web UI?  I can understand this if it's about the mobile app (lack of a customizable app is why I wrote HomeWave in the first place :) ), but the web UI?  I can't speak for other users but I never use the web UI to control devices or scenes; that's what the mobile app is for, along with physical switches and remotes.  I use the web UI solely for administration duty, e.g. device inclusion, editing scenes, etc.
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline Thorden

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2018, 05:33:48 pm »
Regarding a modular / customizable user interface: do you refer to the mobile client or Vera's web UI?  I can understand this if it's about the mobile app (lack of a customizable app is why I wrote HomeWave in the first place :) ), but the web UI?  I can't speak for other users but I never use the web UI to control devices or scenes; that's what the mobile app is for, along with physical switches and remotes.  I use the web UI solely for administration duty, e.g. device inclusion, editing scenes, etc.

Totally agree. The GUI has to be effective in administration and creating/editing logic. Modular I don't get, as long as it doesn't add usability or functionality.

Offline kyb2012

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2018, 05:42:40 pm »
Repetitive, but....
1) much better native mobile app that maintains constant connection
2) PLEG like capabilities in scenes
3) Smartwatch app
4) much better logging capabilities
5) integration with Kodi media center
6) native functionality for "vacation mode" to simulate occupancy while away
7) native integration with Harmony remote
8) native integration with Denon receivers
9) native integration with DSC alarm
10) native integration with Google Home
11) native integration with Alexa
12) native integration with Do Now
13) native integrations with Nokia ( Withings) Health devices
14) integration with Google Fit
15) native camera integration with Kuna, Blink, and Nest cameras
16) integration with Nest Doorbell

Offline dJOS

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2018, 05:43:45 pm »
Hello, everyone

Per Melih's request in this thread and by popular demand  8), we'd love to hear more about what features you'd like to have integrated natively into Vera.

If it's a device integration please name it. If it's been already named by someone else just quote it.

Of course, as mentioned my Melih in this thread, the main focus will be on stability - "1)Product must work"

Thank you for everyone's input.
Please keep the thread poll on topic. Other thoughts and feedback can be posted in Re: MIOS Acquisition

I voted for "Advanced Scene Builder with multiple conditions and statements" ....

However making the bloody Vera & Vera iOS App reliable and fast should absolutely be your number one priority!

Just some of the things that annoy me about my VP are, Nest integration fails with no warning and needs a reboot to fix (Hass.io self repairs), Alexa integration has stupid limitations for scene integration that need nested scenes to work around. iOS App takes forever to sync with the VP even on the same network and gives no visual indication it's syncing states. Cant send iOS push notifications to others user accounts. Cant control the Notifications and make them look nice and cant use notifications on every device type.

Did I mention the vera Plus is slow! Soooo slow!!!  ::)

My Vera is so so unreliable that i've been spending significant time and effort to build my HA system into Hass.io on a Pi3 (my Vera Plus is now and expensive Radio) - sure it's a hard slog, but it's blindingly fast, super reliable and I can get both the iOS app and desktop UI organised the way I want it!

regarding my choice, there are new HAC's on the market with visual scene builders eg homey, and reports are they are actually reliable too! Vera scenes are basically useless, mainly due to unreliability, without plugins like Reactor or user hostile franken systems like PLEG! being able to easily create IF THIS or/and THAT, THEN do THIS ... type of thing should have been in Vera years ago.

https://www.athom.com/en/homey/flow/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 05:50:15 pm by dJOS »
HAC: Vera Plus & Hass.io | Voice Control: Amazon echo's | Z-Wave Devices: Aeotec Smart Switches etc & Garage Door Opener | Thermostats: nest's

Offline KCArchitect

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2018, 05:50:57 pm »
better native PTZ Camera integration across platforms.  There are far too many models missing from an "approved" list.

And can we PLEASE get native support for Overhead Door Gate openers?  My garage doors work great, but I can't operate my bloody gate that uses the EXACT SAME HARDWARE INTERFACE as my doors.  Spent HOURS with tech support and they've admitted it's an internal bug with VERA, this is EASY low hanging fruit and should have been a addressed over two years ago.

Offline brucehvn

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2018, 05:57:14 pm »
Google Home, Google Home, Google Home
You guys are being killed by not having that support out there. Google Home now supports almost all major and minor players in the HA market including these small Chinese devices.  I can even control my Dish Network receiver via GH.  Yes, Richard has a workaround, but Vera should be providing that capability.

Better remote control/learning support via BroadCom RM products, GlobalCache units, etc.

Easier IP camera integration.

Better customization of the Web UI when adding custom devices, plugins

I'm still using a Vera Lite with UI5, so I don't know if this is fixed, but trying to run a scene from the web UI takes up to 5 minutes.  According to a thread here, it's because port 80 is getting bombarded from other devices on the network.  I see in my browser that the request keeps timing out until it finally goes through.  Controlling individual devices works fine because it connects on a different port.