Author Topic: UI8 new interface, do you like it? please give us your feedback  (Read 14663 times)

Offline aPL

• Developers
Re: UI8 new interface, do you like it? please give us your feedback
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 03:27:57 am »
Reverb is an app that lets you issue Alexa commands from your phone. It doesn't have many features, just simple voice commands. Instead of opening the app, searching for a device, I just tap reverb, say what I want and I'm done. It takes 2-3 seconds depending on the 3g/4g connection. I'd love to see something like that but only for vera for quick access to things..

Regarding UI8
- setting for scaling per user/device
- custom icons for devices
- reorder / hide devices in custom categories / zone (for display only)
- mix devices and scenes and whatever else i want on the same "page" / view
- order "pages" left to right so i can swipe between them
- quick access to commands via swiping up/down starting from an icon (for example tap and hold then swipe up on dimmer shows a percentage and by going up you increase the light level)

working @ Vera / MiOS | anything stated is my own opinion and does not reflect the thoughts and opinions of my employer

Offline mouch

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 03:37:12 am »
Please give us all your feedback....all of this is for you!

Looks very nice and the dark (or night) mode is a really great addition!
While I agree with the others that stability and features is important, a nice UI combined with great UX is very important to me and helps improve acceptance from non technical users and increase the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).

Like others before me, I'd be interested in the web interface as well (although it has lower priority). However, with PWA finding more and more acceptance and support, the new UI might be the perfect opportunity to combine both the web and the mobile interface into a single responsive App #dreaminoutloud

Offline reneboer

• Beta Testers
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 07:18:10 am »
From a UI perspective I see a bit of a split.

Have a mobile configurable tile based (like ImperiHome, but we had some more like AutHomationHD) focusing on Control functions; light on, heating up etc. Where the Android version is up to par with the iOS and Windows one. I.e. a fast, compact interface for adhoc control and the non technical users in the house.

Then have a Web interface for controlling the Vera and all devices, scenes etc.  How this looks I do not care really. But please do not try to build a mobile interface for all this. No one who ever really did more then the pure basics, wants to do this type of work without a reasonable sized screen to look at and a real keyboard to hit. Really you don't.

Remember, it is about home automation and not control; i.e. I do not want my Vera to be a complex remote control, I want it to run my house.

Cheers Rene
2xVeraLite, VeraEdge, openLuup, ALTUI, 20 switches, 10 dimmers, 20 sensors, 10 scene controllers, 1 Harmony Hub, many plug-ins. Not enough time.

Offline cmille34

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 07:54:48 am »
What a crazy few days on the Vera forums!  I've spent the better part of the last year becoming familiar with Home Assistant and Node Red and relegating my Vera Plus to just being an overpriced zwave device controller.  Then Melih comes out of no where with a fresh sense of urgency to improve this platform and engage the community.  Great stuff!

The UI looks slick and shiny.  Hopefully there would be the ability to create custom icons/dashboards, a lot of the things Imperihome allows.  4 large separate icons to display temp,humidity,lux,etc could be easily combined into one I would hope.

I'd definitely like to see some of the desktop/browser interface!

Offline imazman

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 08:42:52 am »
Love it.  Everything I'm seeing and hearing, I just might upgrade my old Vera (1) controller.

Offline ranneman

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 11:10:21 am »
Looks nice but difficult to judge useability. As many mentioned before Imperihome is a good example for a front end, fast and configurable. I think it is important to have a good UI as that serves as an easy entry for most of the family to use the HA system. It is not about using it for doing regular stuff as that will often be automated. But having a quick check on status and some easy accessable shortcuts makes live easy and is a must for any HA system. I like Imperihome because it is fast, has configurable dashboard pages next to a flat device list, works on mobile and tablet (nice for wall mounting). Every user can have his own layout.
Vera lite UI7 Europe, Vera Plus, Zwave.me switches/dimmers, Zwave.me plus multi switch, Fibaro switches and multi sensors, Everspring sensors motion, temp., humidity. Honeywell Evohome, Greenwave, Sonos, Brel shades, RFXCOM, MiLights, Alexa.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2018, 12:39:18 pm »
A few thoughts.

• We need to see the WebGUI interface before we can comment completely.
  • Any update to the UI absolutely needs to not break anything or brick our units but if the change is going to improve the background operation, I'm open to a method of backing up or set up and converting it for use in the new UI. I really think the base lua OS is amiss and that needs serious fixing.
  • The android app needs to function such that all plugins work. Currently it is useless for this and I login to home.getver.com from my phone instead. I've actually uninstalled the app from my phone.

Offline amg0

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2018, 01:14:58 pm »
A bit concerned to see a UI reskin, and not a rethink.
The screen shots are nicer for sure but the ui7 is much more holistic than just a reskin.

- Devices especially custom plugins need to be able to do much more powerful things and not restricted to the Json descriptive rules. Example the icon style.
- devices actions variables must be accessible editable and callable. Why ui7 still has the crazy edit/view mode on editing variables ? We cannot even empty a variable today.
- the Ui must work equally well on desktop and mobiles, example if I do a 3rd party custom panel for a device with custom icon logic , I need that custom icon , logic and device panel to be present if all ui form factors, from desktop to mobile. And yes that is possible. Even if you have only a default action on the main page and can click on the device to get other activities.
- the backend end refresh loop must be isolated , in its own thread and Ui must react to it on a event driven basis, not the way today with forcing refresh or sometime even reloads to see the changes. All the root of these issues seems to be in the concept of user data caching that is broken.
- support user changeable placement of things, support different tile sizes ( cf win10) , use drag and drop,...
- support client device side parametrization so that preferences on the old iPad throning on the dinner room table is not the same as the iPhone preferences

I d like to see massive improvements here and those are not visible in screen shots.

Offline melih

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 01:18:52 pm »
A bit concerned to see a UI reskin, and not a rethink.
The screen shots are nicer for sure but the ui7 is much more holistic than just a reskin.

- Devices especially custom plugins need to be able to do much more powerful things and not restricted to the Json descriptive rules. Example the icon style.
- devices actions variables must be accessible editable and callable. Why ui7 still has the crazy edit/view mode on editing variables ? We cannot even empty a variable today.
- the Ui must work equally well on desktop and mobiles, example if I do a 3rd party custom panel for a device with custom icon logic , I need that custom icon , logic and device panel to be present if all ui form factors, from desktop to mobile. And yes that is possible. Even if you have only a default action on the main page and can click on the device to get other activities.
- the backend end refresh loop must be isolated , in its own thread and Ui must react to it on a event driven basis, not the way today with forcing refresh or sometime even reloads to see the changes. All the root of these issues seems to be in the concept of user data caching that is broken.
- support user changeable placement of things, support different tile sizes ( cf win10) , use drag and drop,...
- support client device side parametrization so that preferences on the old iPad throning on the dinner room table is not the same as the iPhone preferences

I d like to see massive improvements here and those are not visible in screen shots.

Under the hood.....we are re-architecting.....its not just a pretty face....it will be a workhorse underneath...

Offline dmevis

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 01:35:23 pm »
Of all the complaints I have seen for these products and software, and there are VERY many, the User Interface (UI) is rarely among them.  Many Users are still happy with UI5.  If you are focusing on the UI, then you really do not understand Mios at all.  Most of the Plug Ins provide great functionality, though in many cases poorly supported, that should be incorporated.  In particular, it is the PLEG engine functionality that should be built-in. 

Offline melih

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 01:48:57 pm »
Of all the complaints I have seen for these products and software, and there are VERY many, the User Interface (UI) is rarely among them.  Many Users are still happy with UI5.  If you are focusing on the UI, then you really do not understand Mios at all.  Most of the Plug Ins provide great functionality, though in many cases poorly supported, that should be incorporated.  In particular, it is the PLEG engine functionality that should be built-in.

If you think I am only focusing on the UI, then you do not understand me at all :)

Offline Sender

• Sr. manager of my Vera
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 01:58:24 pm »
I think most people owning a Vera do not care about looks at the moment. Start with good device support and stability. THAT is why they buy a domotica system, to have it working for them, not to look to it via a webbrowser all the time :-\.
Good firmware is more important than good karma. (and this costed me lots of Karma)

Offline melih

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 02:06:13 pm »
I think most people owning a Vera do not care about looks at the moment. Start with good device support and stability. THAT is why they buy a domotica system, to have it working for them, not to look to it via a webbrowser all the time :-\.

As I mentioned above, this thread for UI only...happy to discuss all the other issues we are addressing in other threads..

Offline Sender

• Sr. manager of my Vera
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 02:09:41 pm »

As I mentioned above, this thread for UI only...happy to discuss all the other issues we are addressing in other threads..

I replied on the UI: I think most people owning a Vera do not care about looks at the moment.
With a substantiation: Start with good device support and stability. THAT is why they buy a domotica system, to have it working for them, not to look to it via a webbrowser all the time :-\.
Good firmware is more important than good karma. (and this costed me lots of Karma)

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2018, 02:10:46 pm »

That is feedback on the UI. We are fine with it ATM and want more stability and better usefulness. I didn't even look at the picture but a glance.

I think that what is really needed is a server-client model. This is where an admin only has access to the server module to program and tweak and all other users only have access to the client front end. These don't even need to look at all the same. A lot of us do this now with the Vera UI in the back and ImperiHome in the front.

EDIT: I just looked again. I don't like what is presented at all for a back end server to set it up but it looks pretty good for a front end but so does ImperiHome. We need both. I don't see how that UI is conducive to programming the system, only for using it. Please tell us more than just a picture.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 02:14:00 pm by Sammy2 »