Author Topic: Veraplus locked up...bricked?  (Read 577 times)

Offline Gemini

Veraplus locked up...bricked?
« on: August 22, 2018, 06:56:11 pm »
Hello all....I need a little help here. Back in April of 2016 I purchased a Veraplus in hope of it be a viable replace for my HomeSeer system. At the time it did not have some of the abilities I needed for my system. After a month or two learning its quirks, I decided to shelf it and return to my HomeSeer system.
 I recently found it on the shelf and decided to plug it in and explore it again. It did boot, and I was able to log in and then it requested that it be updated. I proceeded. I waited until it said that the update was complete...tried to log back in but could not get it back online. Did a power cycle, did a factory reset multiple of times ( 6 presses, 6 seconds) but now all I have is the power lamp lit only and no access.
Is there another way of bringing back from the dead????
I was really hoping that it had matured enough to become my HA controller.
                Thanks ahead! 

Offline HSD99

Re: Veraplus locked up...bricked?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 07:06:19 pm »
You best option is to contact customer care. They have a lot of experience with this issue.

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 06:21:47 am »
Oh no, I'm really sorry to hear about this. We'll make sure this we turn this around for you.

Indeed our Customer Care can easily assist you with this. If it's an urgent matter, I recommend giving them a phone call on our toll-free number. The working hours are 24/7

Contact details are in my signature. We look forward to hearing from you
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:27:07 am by Sorin »
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline rafale77

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 11:16:49 am »
Hello all....I need a little help here. Back in April of 2016 I purchased a Veraplus in hope of it be a viable replace for my HomeSeer system. At the time it did not have some of the abilities I needed for my system. After a month or two learning its quirks, I decided to shelf it and return to my HomeSeer system.
 I recently found it on the shelf and decided to plug it in and explore it again. It did boot, and I was able to log in and then it requested that it be updated. I proceeded. I waited until it said that the update was complete...tried to log back in but could not get it back online. Did a power cycle, did a factory reset multiple of times ( 6 presses, 6 seconds) but now all I have is the power lamp lit only and no access.
Is there another way of bringing back from the dead????
I was really hoping that it had matured enough to become my HA controller.
                Thanks ahead!

Sorin,

If I may suggest, why would you not pull that update from the servers? It is obviously not working... I could suggest to make it a two step upgrade: Ui first, purge unnecessary files through a script (yes... I saw such scripts exists in the OS, I just don't know when they get executed), then after the purge have another update of the zwave firmware which would be downloaded separately, would execute and then delete the older zwave firmware from the drive. There are so many different ways to work around this but leaving the firmware there for download is not one of them...

@Gemini: The vera has not matured. If for anything it has gone the opposite way trying to be too "work out of the box" and feature creeping and more buggy and less and less stable.
openLuup (97 devices, 134 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (138 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 205 devices, 20 scenes , 2 app) Bridged to Homekit and Alexa. VeraPlus ExtRooted!

Offline Gemini

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 11:12:31 pm »
 Well.... after an accumulated time of four plus hours of power cycles, comm resets, and hard resets, I was able to get it to boot up twice. It would instantly go to step two and start performing an endless update of "updating controller system" and would never complete. The two times I was able to get to the dashboard, I was immediately notified with a banner stating "This device does not offer Z Wave communications".....another fail.
 So...after waiting for about two years to see if anything has changed I will be able to toss this thing in the trash with a clear conscience and just figure I spent about $100 for a cheap cat cable and a nice 12 volt power supply and just stick with HomeSeer.
 Vera, I hate to break it to you, but I do not see how you are going to last....I really don't see how you have made it this long.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 07:19:41 pm »
Well.... after an accumulated time of four plus hours of power cycles, comm resets, and hard resets, I was able to get it to boot up twice. It would instantly go to step two and start performing an endless update of "updating controller system" and would never complete. The two times I was able to get to the dashboard, I was immediately notified with a banner stating "This device does not offer Z Wave communications".....another fail.
 So...after waiting for about two years to see if anything has changed I will be able to toss this thing in the trash with a clear conscience and just figure I spent about $100 for a cheap cat cable and a nice 12 volt power supply and just stick with HomeSeer.
 Vera, I hate to break it to you, but I do not see how you are going to last....I really don't see how you have made it this long.

Sounds like you needed to clear out some memory to complete the update.
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101, Everspring motion sensor, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa