We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Outside Temperature Sensor  (Read 626 times)

Offline Jamr

Outside Temperature Sensor
« on: August 16, 2018, 11:55:19 pm »
Looking for an outside temp sensor to integrate with Vera for local temperatures to control various valves for freeze prevention.
Tired of messing with cloud based weather that works one day and not the next.
Anyone know of a setup or a weather station that will do this?
Priorities are price and reliability.
Thanks.

Offline timtownsend

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Outside Temperature Sensor
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 02:46:52 pm »
I use Netatmo, it seems to be the only officially supported weather station. It has some problems -- doesn't work if you have wind and rain sensors, and the temperatures sometimes appear in Celsius even if you are using Fahrenheit. But it does work.

Offline Mike Yeager

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 04:47:30 pm »
There are several Z-Wave sensors that you can attack a DS18B20 to. Fibaro door sensors are one and I believe the Qbino sensors as well as others I may not know of. That's what I'm doing for my pool temp...

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 01:33:06 am »
If you have some place shielded from rain/snow like a covered porch, car port, crawl space, etc, consider a monoprice pir. I have had one on my front porch for about 3 years.

Works great, aside from the time the sun was able to hit the IR sensor directly and it read 120F  for 10 minutes every day for a week.

Offline Jamr

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 12:43:59 pm »
Thanks. I do have a covered area out on a deck to put one. Just concerned about battery replacement and longevity of device in our cold winter temps.

Offline HSD99

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 01:40:51 pm »
Thanks. I do have a covered area out on a deck to put one. Just concerned about battery replacement and longevity of device in our cold winter temps.
How cold are we talking here? I've had good luck with Everspring and Aeotec Multisensor 6 down to the coldest we usually see around here, say the low-20s F.

Offline Jamr

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 08:25:01 pm »
How cold are we talking here? I've had good luck with Everspring and Aeotec Multisensor 6 down to the coldest we usually see around here, say the low-20s F.

We get just below zero, maybe -1 or -2 a few days of the year here. We have snowy winters a good 4 months of the year.
Usually devices last a season or two and give out.

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 12:36:27 am »

Mine goes through a battery every 18months or so. Some of that could be the cats triggering the motion aspect as they can climb right past it.  We routinely get down below 20F with a handful of subzero nights a year.

Keeping it dry seems to be the biggest thing.

Offline kwieto

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 08:47:52 am »
I use Netatmo (WiFi, so you are connected via their servers), one with the "native" integration (doesn't work with wind gauge) and the other integrated via @Akbooer's plugin.
Both are working fine for about two years now.

If you want Z-wave based solution, you have mainly two options:
1. Z-wave weatherstation, I know about two, one produced by Qubino, the other by POPP. The latter is solar powered and I've read some complains over internet that the solar cell is to small for needs of the station and as a result it updates data too rarely.

2. You can use any Z-wave device which supports attached temperature sensor, usually based on Dallas DS18B20. Most of Qubino modules have such capacity, you have Fibaro Door/Window sensor, and Fibaro universal binary sensor (the last one allows you to attach up to 4 temperature sensors).
Most of them allow you to use pretty long cable (I used about 5m without issues, the limit is on about 15m, as far as I remember).
One thing to consider is how device is powered. I've read somewhere that DS18B20 sensor is powered with the same current as the main device. In case of Qubino, where you use mainly AC power, it is 110 or 220V current - not nice if you put it in very humid place. This is why when I was designing a temp sensor for my pool I decided to use Fibaro Door/Window sensor, which is powered by 3V battery. Even if the cable will get wet, there is no risk of electric shock.