Author Topic: Vera Native Integration for Google Home  (Read 14306 times)

Offline Dragos Perju

• MiOS Official
  • Global Moderator
  • Sr. Newbie
  • Think different
Re: Vera Native Integration for Google Home
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 04:58:44 pm »
Great, I was really waiting for this! In fact I was allready looking for another controller. Very glad I can stay with Vera now.
What will be the timeframe for the availability of this beta? Or is it a plug-in?

The beta will be scheduled at the end of our current sprint. This would be around mid September if we include also a week of stabilisation.
A firmware upgrade will be necessary to have this available.
Dragos Perju,
Product Manager @ MiOS

Offline Dragos Perju

• MiOS Official
  • Global Moderator
  • Sr. Newbie
  • Think different
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 04:59:36 pm »
Will the Google Home integration include any functionality to push announcements to the Google device?

Could you please be more specific? What are you referring to?
Dragos Perju,
Product Manager @ MiOS

Offline jlind

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 10:30:56 am »
Will the Google Home integration include any functionality to push announcements to the Google device?

A nice added feature would be the ability for us to programatically send text to speech broadcasts from the Vera to our Google Homes.  For instance, a "Good Morning" or "Front Door Open" announcement.
VeraLite/VeraPlus with UI7, Multiple GE switches, GE Outlets, Aeon Smart Switches, Minimote, GE Portable outlets  Apps: (Pentair Autelis Plugin, Weather Underground, Honeywell WiFi Thermo, System Monitor, AlternateUI)

Offline amg0

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 12:53:09 pm »

A nice added feature would be the ability for us to programatically send text to speech broadcasts from the Vera to our Google Homes.  For instance, a "Good Morning" or "Front Door Open" announcement.

or "you have mail" when the postman drops a letter which triggers a zwave door lock sensor sensative strip for instance !
would be really cool

the demo does not show any support for device UPNP actions. maybe UPNP actions can have a friendly text name that google home would recognize and use it to trigger the exec of a particular device UPNP action ( hopefully with parameters taken out of the user's voice instructions )

Offline tiwas

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 11:06:25 am »
Excelent news! I just got a Google Home today as I read about the ha-bridge - only to discover it's not working anymore. That kind of sucks.

Offline gazmitch

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 03:58:04 pm »
Thanks for this great help :D

Offline jlind

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2018, 02:36:08 pm »
Any new word on when the beta will be released?  I'm hoping soon....
VeraLite/VeraPlus with UI7, Multiple GE switches, GE Outlets, Aeon Smart Switches, Minimote, GE Portable outlets  Apps: (Pentair Autelis Plugin, Weather Underground, Honeywell WiFi Thermo, System Monitor, AlternateUI)

Offline bobbydoedoe

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 12:24:48 pm »
Any updates on when the beta will be out?

Offline cw-kid

• Beta Testers
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2018, 09:34:09 am »
Glad to finally see some progress on the Google Home integration.

I did start out using Amazon Echo devices but switched to Google Home devices for better free music options.

Currently using Vera Concierge for integration with Vera, which generally works OK.

TTS Text to Speech is crucial. You can do this with Vera Concierge and Vera Alerts plugins but its not 100% reliable and doesn't always work.

Having TTS announcements playout on selected Google Home speakers when certain things happen, like the door bell is pressed, the letter box is opened, the garden gate is opened etc.

Also the Vera / Alexa integration was OK but had some limitations, Its a long time since I used that so I forget, but remember issues with Vera scenes where you would have to say things like "Turn on lounge on" to run a Vera scene called Lounge On and the voice command language just wasn't natural.

Least in Google Home we have shortcuts now called routines where you can setup various phrases to run a particular Vera scene or control a Vera device.

In Vera Concierge you can also set alias names for Vera scenes and devices, as what they are called in Vera which makes sense, usually doesn't make sense from a spoke command. For example I have a device in Vera called "Immersion Heater" as that's what it is, but in Google Home I just say "Turn on the hot water" etc. You can also set nicknames for devices and scenes in the actual Home app.

Also we need to be able to hide certain scenes and devices from the Google Home so that they do not appear in the "Home Control" area of the Home app. There are lots of Vera scenes especially and some devices that I would never want to see in Google Home.

Another nice feature of Vera Concierge is you can also have PLEG actions appear to Google Home, so you could run those as well via voice commands.

Will we be able to query the status of devices and sensors via Google Home ?

"Hey Google is the back door open"

"Hey Google is the kids bedroom light on"

"Hey Google what is the current set point of the thermostat"

:D

Offline jsfaje

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2018, 04:42:51 pm »
Oooh, I just found this thread, I check every once in a while for Google Home support. I am quite excited that I should be able to stay with Vera and GH.

Counting the minutes!

Offline asggold

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2018, 08:28:29 pm »
Any word on the GH integration?  Ever since the mid-September date was listed there has no updates nor mention of testing script.  Hopefully this integration was not scrapped since Google Home was just updated.

Offline Ebs

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2018, 03:05:32 pm »
Could someone give an update about the beta release date?

Offline asggold

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2018, 03:54:16 pm »
Good luck getting anyone from Vera to answer this topic.  I have tried to get an answer in multiple forums, direct messages, posts, etc... NOTHING.  After they me tioned working on this 6 months ago they have not said a word.  I think it might be time to switch to a new router.  Vera is now way behind most of the other brands when it comes to working with Google, Amazon, Android combined.

Offline Domoworking

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2018, 05:32:08 pm »
With The release of Google Home Hub and The new Google Home app, I think  native integration is becoming more urgent than ever.

Offline lionelandjen

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2018, 03:32:05 pm »
The beta will be scheduled at the end of our current sprint. This would be around mid September if we include also a week of stabilisation.
A firmware upgrade will be necessary to have this available.

Comeon man, you're teasing us with a mid-september date and we're in mid-October!!!!

I'm dying here! :-P