We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Vera Native Integration for Google Home  (Read 29171 times)

Offline Tarkus

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Vera Native Integration for Google Home
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2018, 03:20:10 pm »
While waiting for native integration I have been using IFTTT webhooks for Google Home Vera integration. Yes you do have to open Veras port  so I would not use it for security related devices / locks etc. Keep in mind you can limit  incoming connections to IFTTT's IP range depending on your routers capabilities. I use a Asus router which supports this.  It is pretty easy to set up and works flawlessly..

Offline Domoworking

« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2018, 05:39:13 pm »
While waiting for native integration I have been using IFTTT webhooks for Google Home Vera integration. Yes you do have to open Veras port  so I would not use it for security related devices / locks etc. Keep in mind you can limit  incoming connections to IFTTT's IP range depending on your routers capabilities. I use a Asus router which supports this.  It is pretty easy to set up and works flawlessly..

This is a great example of how to overtake Vera limits.
But I think how easy is to setup a Philips Hue gateway and Light and then connect them to Google Home.... This is the way it should go  :(

Offline gniknalu

« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2018, 06:11:01 pm »
This is our current progress on integrating natively Google Home. The first day we will have the beta version we will post it here and after that we will gather all your feedback and discuss any improvements that you guys can think of.

Has this become Beta yet or is it still in the vapor stages?   ;)

Offline Domoworking

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2018, 02:48:37 am »
Who knows?

Offline gregl

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2018, 06:16:47 pm »
Yes Homa Assistant will cost you $5/m to use its cloud service whihc is needed to connect Google Home with Home Assistant....
Or just use Openhab which is equally powerful and its cloud service for free. Ive been using my Vera as a simple Zwave gateway for years now talking to Openhab and its fantastic! I only ever access Vera to add/remove a zwave device...all logic runs on Openhab.

(The cloud services for both HA and OH are only needed for Google Home and remote access if you dont want to do port forwarding/webproxy setup )

Offline Inzax

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2018, 07:38:38 am »
Yes Homa Assistant will cost you $5/m to use its cloud service whihc is needed to connect Google Home with Home Assistant....
Or just use Openhab which is equally powerful and its cloud service for free. Ive been using my Vera as a simple Zwave gateway for years now talking to Openhab and its fantastic! I only ever access Vera to add/remove a zwave device...all logic runs on Openhab.

(The cloud services for both HA and OH are only needed for Google Home and remote access if you dont want to do port forwarding/webproxy setup )

When I interfaced HA with Vera it showed all my zwave devices, scenes and even my Concord 4 security devices.   I had some issues with HA running scenes that were managed on the Vera.   HA would run ALL my scenes in succession when turning OFF my concord 4.  Turned my house to a Disco.  Removing the scenes from Vera and moving them to HA is the answer. 

I will say the HA interface seems nicer.  Probably because I have complete authority on how it looks.  I have not settled on HA and just started tinkering with Openhab. 

What in your opinion is the biggest benefit Openhab has over HA?  OR, is it a wash...just user preference.
Proud Member of the Epic Smite Thread.
VeraSecure; Concord 4 Panel; 6 IP Cameras; Imperiehome; Housemodes; system monitor; DeusexmachinaII; Vera Concierge

Offline JY07

« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2018, 10:14:17 am »
If you like me is tiered of waiting for native Google Home integration I would recommend Home Assistant https://www.home-assistant.io. A bit if a learning curve, but besides Google Home integration you will get a whole lot of other interesting and useful HA integration options https://www.home-assistant.io/components/

I am considering moving all my HA logic and front end to Home Assistant and only keep Vera as a Z-wave controller.

I stumbled on this post a week or two ago and am glad I did:  I had an old raspberry pi (that was running vera concierge at one point, just wasn't working that well) that I installed this on, deleted all of my scenes and apps (ecobee + MyQ) from Vera and added them to HA, and everything's running great.  At this point my Vera is just used as a zwave controller like you mentioned.

Setting up the integration for google assistant was a bit awkward with creating the test app and everything, but it works better than anything I had previously setup.

I pulled out all of the scenes from Vera since some just weren't acting rationally:  I had a simple pair of scenes on some rooms that would turn on the room light when the door was open, and turn it off when the door closed.  I think in one of the Vera updates they must have added some sort of 'retry' functionality because sometimes opening/closing the door quickly resulted in vera flickering the light on and off a few times with it sticking on, even though the door was closed.

One of the other nice things is I had the outdoor lights tied to the 'day/night' app in Vera so they'd turn on at an offset of sunset, but at some points in the year it seemed like they were turning on too late: in HA I have it tied to the elevation of the sun instead; hopefully this timing will work better year round.

Offline brucehvn

« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2018, 08:30:35 am »
I had some extra raspberry pi units laying around, so I used the HA image and fired it up.  It took a couple days to get it mostly configured, but it is now working and Google Home works just fine.  I did the manual integration for Google Assistant, so there's no $5/month subscription, but it is quite a lot of steps to follow to get it working.

Now I'm in the process of moving my vera scenes over to HA automations which will then relegate vera to just being a z-wave controller as others have said.  My main reason for sticking with vera was the ability to easily program my own plug-ins to customize it to my household.  Now I can see with HA, I can also do that, so my reasons for hanging on so long are starting to fade.

Offline TrevorW

« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2018, 09:05:34 am »
If you like me is tiered of waiting for native Google Home integration I would recommend Home Assistant https://www.home-assistant.io. A bit if a learning curve, but besides Google Home integration you will get a whole lot of other interesting and useful HA integration options https://www.home-assistant.io/components/

I am considering moving all my HA logic and front end to Home Assistant and only keep Vera as a Z-wave controller.

I stumbled on this post a week or two ago and am glad I did:  I had an old raspberry pi (that was running vera concierge at one point, just wasn't working that well) that I installed this on, deleted all of my scenes and apps (ecobee + MyQ) from Vera and added them to HA, and everything's running great.  At this point my Vera is just used as a zwave controller like you mentioned.

Setting up the integration for google assistant was a bit awkward with creating the test app and everything, but it works better than anything I had previously setup.

I pulled out all of the scenes from Vera since some just weren't acting rationally:  I had a simple pair of scenes on some rooms that would turn on the room light when the door was open, and turn it off when the door closed.  I think in one of the Vera updates they must have added some sort of 'retry' functionality because sometimes opening/closing the door quickly resulted in vera flickering the light on and off a few times with it sticking on, even though the door was closed.

One of the other nice things is I had the outdoor lights tied to the 'day/night' app in Vera so they'd turn on at an offset of sunset, but at some points in the year it seemed like they were turning on too late: in HA I have it tied to the elevation of the sun instead; hopefully this timing will work better year round.

I have issues with Aeotec ZW098 LED bulbs where Vera hangs waiting for the node to reply then once the reply is received all subsequent commands are issued, almost at the point of completely ditching the ZW098's but not sure if the issue iswith them or the vera

Offline Khaztr

« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2018, 06:39:57 pm »
Lol, I'm surprised to see how many of us have come to the conclusion that Home Assistant is just the way to go with Vera.  Screw UI7, just use Vera as your Z-wave hub and do all your automations on HA's side.  My home automation has been so much more stable and dependable since I made the switch over a year ago.

Offline Inzax

« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2018, 07:28:19 pm »
Lol, I'm surprised to see how many of us have come to the conclusion that Home Assistant is just the way to go with Vera.  Screw UI7, just use Vera as your Z-wave hub and do all your automations on HA's side.  My home automation has been so much more stable and dependable since I made the switch over a year ago.

I like HA.  However, I tried to cheat a bit and leave some of my automations on Vera.  That did not work out so well.  Had a situation where every single automation/scene triggered at the same time when I disarmed my concord4.  Turned my house into a disco with garage doors opening, water shutting off, etc...

Best to move everything to HA and like you said, use vera as just a zwave hub.

Proud Member of the Epic Smite Thread.
VeraSecure; Concord 4 Panel; 6 IP Cameras; Imperiehome; Housemodes; system monitor; DeusexmachinaII; Vera Concierge

Offline delahk

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2018, 02:47:56 pm »
Great, I was really waiting for this! In fact I was allready looking for another controller. Very glad I can stay with Vera now.
What will be the timeframe for the availability of this beta? Or is it a plug-in?

The beta will be scheduled at the end of our current sprint. This would be around mid September if we include also a week of stabilisation.
A firmware upgrade will be necessary to have this available.

@Dragos, do you know when this integration will be released?

Offline stas

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2018, 03:10:03 am »
Any updates? assuming this wont be live in 2018

Offline Thinkfire

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2018, 01:03:18 pm »
Don't hold your breath.  It's been years now since GH was taunted in an attempt to keep people from leaving.   

Vera has no advantages anymore if you need to install HA.

Just use a basic z-wave controller and let HA do your logic.  With Loveless UI, it's just as easy, and more robust.  I've also moved my stuff from Wink to HA.   Thanks to Vera for introducing me to HA.  I resisted it at first but it's worth it.  You can now leave Vera as they don't seem to want to get on board with Google.  *Shrug*

Offline brucehvn

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2018, 01:23:00 pm »
I really liked the fact that vera was an all-in-one box.  I have always had a server running here and in the old days, I used MisterHouse with my X10 stuff.  That's probably why I was a little reluctant to go back to a system like HA where I would need to run it again on some box.  But with the advent of the Raspberry pi and other microcontrollers, it's so easy now to set it up as a dedicated box and stuff it away somewhere.  Plus it's even smaller than my vera lite, so it's much more palatable.