Author Topic: [Altsteon] Getting Started / How-To *Read First*  (Read 37410 times)

Offline jiehooni

Re: [Altsteon] Getting Started / How-To *Read First*
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, 02:25:46 pm »
Thanks Joey.
I do need help in details, however your message option is disabled if the little email icon under the ID is what PM means.

Offline Tank

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2013, 03:27:18 pm »
Try now

Offline eatonjb

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 01:56:22 pm »
any news if this is going to be in the appstore?  It does not look too hard, and im decently technical, but I might not have a grasp on this.

Eaton

Offline garrettwp

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2014, 02:42:03 pm »
Probably not any time. Haven't seen further development on it in the last few months.

I've switched over to an ISY controller for my insteon gear and use a plugin that I developed for vera. Purdueguy who was working on altsteon is now using an ISY as well.

- Garrett
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 02:44:15 pm by garrettwp »

Offline eatonjb

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 12:20:24 am »
Probably not any time. Haven't seen further development on it in the last few months.

I've switched over to an ISY controller for my insteon gear and use a plugin that I developed for vera. Purdueguy who was working on altsteon is now using an ISY as well.

- Garrett

could I bother you for some info on what ISY controller and are you going to publish your plugin?

Offline garrettwp

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 09:37:17 am »
The ISY controller is a dedicated insteon controller made by Universal Devices. It is a little pricey for some who want insteon control for some devices. But to me it is worth it.

The plugin is already doing discussed on the forum. The code is published on code.mios.com.

- Garrett

Offline Gene

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2014, 10:40:58 am »
Sorry it this sounds primitive, but I don't understand what this means:

"1) Link all devices to PLM.
You MUST link all your Insteon devices to your PLM. See your PLM's and device specific User Manuals for the method.
* This is important - if they are not linked they will not work properly, if at all, with Altsteon *"

Is there something I need to do beyond have these paired with my existing Vera software?  If so, how do I do it?  Thanks. 

Offline fryfrog

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 02:11:54 pm »
So you link the PLM to all your devices so that they'll instantly send status updates to the system. All this is asking you to do is pair them in both directions. So you pair the PLM -> device (so Altsteon can control it) and then device -> PLM so that when you flip the switch locally, that gets sent to Altsteon.

You can do this manually with the button presses, or you can use the altsteon_cli to do it. If you're using the recent developer build, there is even a single command that'll do it all. You just add the device, then run the 2 way pairing command. I always have to look it up, let me dig it up and then edit this post.

Edit: And it also appears you can do this via GUI if you like, see below.

Code: [Select]
plm link_new_device <device>
add_device <device>
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:18:57 pm by fryfrog »

Offline PurdueGuy

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2014, 02:15:52 pm »
You can also link via the Vera UI if you are running the development build.
I added that capability a while back:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,15693.msg120294.html#msg120294
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon

Offline Floridagator

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2014, 03:42:22 pm »
I've been using the native support on the Vera since July and I've gotten by just for awhile. I quite a few scenes setup just the way I want, but want to add an insteon leak sensor which the native insteon doesn't support. I've found in these forums someone stating that under Alsteon it does and I think I'm ready to take the plunge, but have one question before I get started.

After I install altsteon are my current devices that are setup to use insteon going to disappear (don't think so from reading the forums)? Can I just go into the configuration of each device and point them to use altsteon? If that is the case I won't have to redo all the Luup scripts that I have configured currently.

Thanks

Offline PurdueGuy

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2014, 05:20:01 pm »
Unfortunately, I think they will need to be redone.   I have never tried, but it might work.  I have tried to change some devices to be different types, and the device either didn't work, or disappeared on its own.
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon

Offline raddoc

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2014, 11:48:58 pm »
Okay, admitting that I'm probably delving deeper than I should, considering the fact I have exceedingly little Linux experience...

I'm at this point:

From SSH...

6) Login to the VERA using SSH (version 2) to get a command line
   ... user: root
   ... password: <whatever is printed on the bottom of your Vera unit>

6a) Copy the files inside the 'vera-binaries' directory to the '/overlay/sbin/ directory' using SCP

6b) 'chmod' the altsteon file to 755 (to make it executable) - WinSCP can also do this using right-click Properties on the file.

I've used PuTTY to login to the "back end" of my Vera 2, but I've never used WinSCP, which is what I'll need to use, since I'm using a Windows PC.  Could you possibly explain how to do this with WinSCP on sort of an "idiot" level?  I.E.  Presume I can download WinSCP, but figure that I know nothing beyond that.  Then what do I do? 

Thank you!!!

Offline raddoc

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2014, 02:11:43 pm »
Okay, so disregard most of my last post.  I downloaded WinSCP and it was a lot more obvious than I thought it would be.  I've got the files uploaded, and I'm restarting Vera to see if it all works!  Yeah!!

Offline raddoc

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2014, 01:27:50 pm »
Okay, I can add things fine, but Vera keeps getting stuck at "Starting Lua Engine"
Solutions anyone???

Offline boojew

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2014, 02:20:40 pm »
I'm trying to install Alsteon on my Vera3, but I'm running into issues.. It tells me it can't find my PLM.

root@MiOS_30008941:/overlay/sbin# /overlay/sbin/altsteon -p /dev/ttyUSB0
Debug Level : 0
[INFO ] [4/3/2014 - 14:18:16] - --| Starting altsteon!
[INFO ] [4/3/2014 - 14:18:16] - Running on non-apple Hardware
[ERROR] [4/3/2014 - 14:18:26] - PLM didn't respond!
[INFO ] [4/3/2014 - 14:18:26] - Modem info :
[INFO ] [4/3/2014 - 14:18:26] - cflag = 00000CBE
[INFO ] [4/3/2014 - 14:18:26] - oflag = 00000000
[INFO ] [4/3/2014 - 14:18:26] - iflag = 00000804
[INFO ] [4/3/2014 - 14:18:26] - lflag = 00000000
[ERROR] [4/3/2014 - 14:18:26] - Failed to initialize PLM.

I am indeed running on it on USB0. As a test, I enabled Insteon support and that works perfectly. I can control my insteon gear without issues. But, when I remove it from Vera and try alsteon - no luck. Any ideas?

-----

Nevermind... I think Alsteon was running twice and I didnt realize it. Works now!

Better question: I understand that Alsteon adds two-way communication to Vera, but does that mean that it adds instant status updates or is polling still required?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:10:08 pm by boojew »