Author Topic: [Altsteon] UI5 setting to Hide Device in 3rd party UIs / Apps ?  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Aaron

Is there a way to hide a device so it can tell 3rd party UIs not to display it?

This is useful for when you have linked devices that act as a single device... say in a 3-way light circuit.

If this is not possible, I'd like to ask that we devise a way to make it work, and request support from the 3rd party app developers.

thx!

Offline fba

• If it ain't broke, I ain't touched it yet.
    • Altsteon
Re: [Altsteon] UI5 setting to Hide Device in 3rd party UIs / Apps ?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 12:30:36 pm »
I have not seen anything that would lead me to think that there is a way to do this.   It seems that the best way to do this is to put a feature request in to MCV to add a flag that app developers could use, since it seems that this is a valid request for Z-Wave devices in addition to Insteon devices.

You might also check with the app that you are using.   IIRC, AutHomation has an option to hide devices if you tap and hold.

If that doesn't work, it would be easy enough to add a flag to Altsteon devices indicate that a device should be hidden.  The hard part would be getting the 3rd party app developers to support it as they are primarily concerned with Z-wave devices.
Vera 3, Altsteon, (Insteon: Relay (Smarthome & Icon), Dimmer (Smarthome), Keypadlinc, 2420M, Triggerlinc, IOLinc, Garage Hawk, Venstar Thermostat, Fanlinc, MI lock, Appliancelinc, Synchrolinc, iMeter), CurrentCost, (Z-Wave: Schlage lock, GE Appliance switch), AutHomation

Offline Aaron

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 02:38:25 pm »
I suspect it could easily be placed in an existing field that any 3rd part app could read.

I use Authomation but I want to hide devices so guests/family do not use them - via any UI.

Offline garrettwp

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 02:47:08 pm »
This use to be a feature back in the UI2 days. Not sure if it carried over to UI4. MCV would have to add this back and than would need to be integrated into the 3rd party apps.

- Garrett

Offline Aaron

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 08:25:55 pm »
Is there a formal feature request process?

Offline fba

• If it ain't broke, I ain't touched it yet.
    • Altsteon
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 10:01:54 pm »
I think you put it in as a "bug" in Mantis.  (http://bugs.micasaverde.com)

There is technically a "hidden" flag that exists even in UI5.  But, it is reserved for system usage and probably wouldn't do what you want.
Vera 3, Altsteon, (Insteon: Relay (Smarthome & Icon), Dimmer (Smarthome), Keypadlinc, 2420M, Triggerlinc, IOLinc, Garage Hawk, Venstar Thermostat, Fanlinc, MI lock, Appliancelinc, Synchrolinc, iMeter), CurrentCost, (Z-Wave: Schlage lock, GE Appliance switch), AutHomation