Author Topic: Lua Engine Failed to Start (Dimmer Issue) FIXED  (Read 1654 times)

Offline mwbehr

Lua Engine Failed to Start (Dimmer Issue) FIXED
« on: May 07, 2012, 05:05:20 pm »
Everything was going great. I got Altsteon set up and running with my test device with minor stumbling blocks. I then started adding the rest of my devices stopping periodically to test what I'd added. I got all the relays and keypadlincs added, but after I added the dimmers I encountered the issue you see in the attachment. Basically all of my devices went "blank". They're all still there, but they aren't usable. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Edit: Notice that the Z-Wave devices are behaving normally, it's just the Insteon devices.

Edit2: Yup, I deleted the dimmers and everything went back to normal. I also noticed that there's 2 differend altsteon_installation.txt files in the package, one in vera_files and one in the main directory. These two files are different from each other and have different setup instructions for the dimmer, but both setups fail to work for me.

Edit3: (Yes I realize I'm basically just talking to myself atm  ;D) After looking at the D_InsteonDimmer.xml, it's missing the footer information that you find in the other D_.xmls. I tried adding what I thought to be suitable information in, however it didn't help.

Edit4: So it looks like fba had fixed the issue by fixing someone else's issue (fanlinc problems). This fix hasn't made it into a downloadable package yet (hopefully it'll be in 0.05), however, so you'll need to download the files here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,8910.msg70152.html#msg70152

Just to recap, this problem won't manifest as just the dimmer not working, but as lua scripts failing altogether.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 06:14:44 pm by mwbehr »

Offline RyanAHolland

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Lua Engine Failed to Start (Dimmer Issue) FIXED
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 07:38:55 pm »
I have tried this, but now all I get are uncontrollable devices (the blue gear).  No on / off controls.  Are you seeing that?

Offline mwbehr

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 07:47:22 pm »
I have tried this, but now all I get are uncontrollable devices (the blue gear).  No on / off controls.  Are you seeing that?

Are you using the Dimmer setup instructions from the Altsteon_Instructions.txt inside the vera_files folder? The other Alsteon_Instructions.txt is outdated and has the wrong setup information. Your dimmers should look like this:

Code: [Select]
Device type : urn:geektaco-info:device:Dimmer:1
Internal ID : <address of the device in aa.bb.cc format>
Description : <Whatever you want to call this device>
Upnp Device Filename : D_InsteonDimmer.xml
Upnp Implementation Filename : I_InsteonDimmer.xml
Ip Address : <blank>
MAC : <blank>
Room : <don't care>
Parent device : plm

Offline RyanAHolland

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 04:36:03 pm »
Awesome!  That was it.  Thank you for the help!

Offline Aaron

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 11:29:38 pm »

Are you using the Dimmer setup instructions from the Altsteon_Instructions.txt inside the vera_files folder? The other Alsteon_Instructions.txt is outdated and has the wrong setup information. Your dimmers should look like this:

Code: [Select]
Device type : urn:geektaco-info:device:Dimmer:1
Internal ID : <address of the device in aa.bb.cc format>
Description : <Whatever you want to call this device>
Upnp Device Filename : D_InsteonDimmer.xml
Upnp Implementation Filename : I_InsteonDimmer.xml
Ip Address : <blank>
MAC : <blank>
Room : <don't care>
Parent device : plm

THANK YOU!

I spent quite a bit of time trying to get this working... even fba said he did not know what the problem was.  The original instructions need to be updated or removed.

I'll update my how-to post.