We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Nest Learning Thermostat on sale at Lowe's  (Read 91799 times)

Offline TheAce

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Nest Learning Thermostat on sale at Lowe's
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 02:04:06 pm »
Anyone with a spare Trane want to part with it at a fair price, let me know!

I just switched from the old Trane thermostat to the Nest so it's just somewhere collecting dust.

Hmm - I'm not seeing how to send you a private message. . .someone please alert me if I'm incorrect and that is indeed possible to do. 

However, seeing as though I can't seem to do it, if you'd like to part with it I can paypal you for s&h and some bucks if you're looking for that?  Email me:  av north side  (all one word)  AT  the domain for people that use google's email service.

Offline PurdueGuy

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 02:39:50 pm »
I think you need a certain number of posts before you can send PMs (to cut down on spam).

Usually, you click on a username to go to their profile, and on the left is a "Send PM" link.
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
Nest Learning Thermostat on sale at Lowe's
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 03:41:28 pm »
You need 25 posts to be able to send PM.

Offline TheAce

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 10:16:39 pm »
You need 25 posts to be able to send PM.

I figured it was some typical stipulation like this. . .thanks for the FYI guys.

Offline dchoe

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 01:53:53 am »

I just switched from the old Trane thermostat to the Nest so it's just somewhere collecting dust.

Hmm - I'm not seeing how to send you a private message. . .someone please alert me if I'm incorrect and that is indeed possible to do. 

However, seeing as though I can't seem to do it, if you'd like to part with it I can paypal you for s&h and some bucks if you're looking for that?  Email me:  av north side  (all one word)  AT  the domain for people that use google's email service.

email sent...

guest17681

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 11:46:20 am »
I also have a Trane T-Stat to sell, if anyone is interested.

Offline dchoe

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 05:06:43 pm »

email sent...

just wanted to make sure you got the thermostat...

Offline chardy

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 07:07:50 pm »
I'm interested in buying your trane thermostat if it's available.

Offline TheAce

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 10:08:37 pm »
I did get the Trane and it's working wonderfully. . .I'd actually pick up another one for my sunroom if anyone else is looking to part.

A for/sale, or "looking to buy" section on here would actually be pretty useful I'd guess.

Offline djrobx

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 10:24:54 pm »
Back to topic - There's a python script out there that can control it and read from it perfectly. 

https://github.com/smbaker/pynest

I tried it out and I can read the current temp as well as set one.    Someone could translate this into a Vera plugin.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:41:17 pm by djrobx »

Offline TheAce

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2012, 10:26:51 pm »
Back to topic - There's a python script out there that can control it and read from it perfectly. 

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=smbaker%20pynest&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fsmbaker%2Fpynest&ei=zYg5UMbLMsjjmAW-nYCIBg&usg=AFQjCNGyzfnBFtrRZZD8E7UaP_yt27NSVA

I tried it out and I can read the current temp as well as set one.    Someone could translate this into a Vera plugin.

That would be great, that Nest is pretty nifty.  I bet a lot of peeps would pick it up if they could z-wave into it.

Offline chuck1026

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2012, 08:36:18 am »
Wow, I wish I was better with LUA code. I hope somebody writes a nice plug-in. Nest has some Open Source info on their site? http://www.nest.com/compliance/NestLearningThermostat/2.1/
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 08:55:27 am by chuck1026 »
UI7 / VeraPlus.... YAY, more stable than ever!

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2012, 10:10:06 am »
They may be using open source code, but their api is private. Until they release something to the public, you have to rely on reverse engineering.

- Garrett

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 01:31:34 am »
With people already reverse engineering the closed api of the Nest thermostat. It is possible for someone to create a plugin for Vera. This has me tempted to work on a plugin, but I do not have a Nest thermostat and not sure I want to spend the 250 dollars to tackle this project. If someone can convince me that the Nest thermostat is better than the Trane z-wave thermostat, I may go out and pick one up.

- Garrett

Offline chuck1026

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 06:30:28 am »
I am not familiar with the Trane thermostat, but I bought Nest prior to jumping into Z Wave. The Nest thermostat has a proximity sensor, humdistat and looks great on the wall. The one problem is the damn thing doesn't communicate with Vera.

Hopefully a plug-in writer will jump in here and save the day. I still have a lot to learn about programming, so I think I am a way off from tackling this :( .
UI7 / VeraPlus.... YAY, more stable than ever!