We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Is Vera lite or Vera 3 will handle 20 leviton scene selector with 35 dimmer ?  (Read 2672 times)

Offline bergy1080

• Sr. Newbie
Hi everyone,

I would like to install a pretty heavy setup for somebody.

More specificaly, it is all with Leviton and models are:

- 20 scene selector VRCS4-MRZ
- 12 Dimmer VRM10-1LZ
- 9 Magnetic Dimmer VRI06-1LZ
- 14 Electronic Dimmer VRE06-1LZ

keypads will all have 4 scenes (4 buttons x 20 scenes selectors = 80 potencial scenes)

There will probably have 5 more module like door lock, cameras, etc.

the real question:

Is vera will handle all this without any delay, and fluently ? And for exemple, if somebody upstair start a scene at the same time than somebody in the basement ?

Thanks for your answer !

Offline aschwalb

Hi everyone,

I would like to install a pretty heavy setup for somebody.

More specificaly, it is all with Leviton and models are:

- 20 scene selector VRCS4-MRZ
- 12 Dimmer VRM10-1LZ
- 9 Magnetic Dimmer VRI06-1LZ
- 14 Electronic Dimmer VRE06-1LZ

keypads will all have 4 scenes (4 buttons x 20 scenes selectors = 80 potencial scenes)

There will probably have 5 more module like door lock, cameras, etc.

the real question:

Is vera will handle all this without any delay, and fluently ? And for exemple, if somebody upstair start a scene at the same time than somebody in the basement ?

Thanks for your answer !

From my experience you may need two Vera's   The nice thing is that they can be seamlessly bridged via an IP network.  You can try with one Vera3 (not VeraLite) since it has more memory and horsepower.  I have over 130 devices with 10 of the zone controllers (I like them better than the scene controllers) and they work fast and well with Vera.  I ended up breaking my single vera into 3 units (mostly because my house is big and has poor RF/z-wave propagation).  By being bridged you can split zwave networks up but have all the devices seen be each Vera and able to included them into complex scenes.  The only caveat is that you need to create the scene on the Vera that your scene controllers reside (zwave) to assign that scene. 

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
As @aschwalb said, I'd go with zone controllers VRCZ4; either VRCZ4-MR which has a built-in switch, or VRCZ4-M0 without built-in switch if you're just looking to control scenes.

(And of course the incandescent dimmer is the VRI, and the magnetic dimmer is the VRM).
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline bergy1080

• Sr. Newbie
Thanks guys,

Any other suggestion or there is somebody that have vera3 and able to tell me if it will go well ?

Thanks !

Offline aschwalb

Thanks guys,

Any other suggestion or there is somebody that have vera3 and able to tell me if it will go well ?

Thanks !

Really it should go well.  The only question is will you need a second Vera to split the load/improve the zwave performance.  My guess is if you are dealing with fairly close proximity the number of devices shouldn't be a problem with a Vera3.  If you find out later you want to bridge as I mentioned then you can.   You will have to move some subset of your device from one z-wave network to another.  Small pain...

Offline PurdueGuy

Also, if you are keeping most things to Leviton devices, they will be associated directly with the scene controllers (although I think each device can only be associated to 5 controllers directly).

Since the controller will tell the device to activate scene X directly, response time should be pretty good.  Vera will get the notification as well, and "fix up" and devices that aren't set correctly.

The only other thing you might happen (not related to number of devices) is conflicting scene.  If the controller upstairs want to turn something off, and the controller downstairs wants to turn it on, and you do them at/near the same time, they might toggle a time or two until they settle down, but that can happen regardless of the size of your z-wave network.
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon

Offline bergy1080

• Sr. Newbie
Those answers was very helpful. Thank you very much !