Author Topic: Altsteon 0.05 released!  (Read 9636 times)

Offline fba

• If it ain't broke, I ain't touched it yet.
Altsteon 0.05 released!
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:00:19 pm »
I just posted Altsteon 0.05 on the web site.  (http://www.geektaco.info/altsteon)

Here is the list of changes :

- Added support for relay type keypadlincs.
   - Added support for Vera2
   - Fixed bugs in the Dimmer, Fanlinc, and IOLinc.
   - Changed the way child devices are handled internally to the code.  (They should behave a bit better now.)   
   - Thermostat fixes.   
   - Added startup code to the documentation
   - Fixed radio buttons for keypadlincs
   - Added fixes for dimmer and relay kpls from garrettwp
        - Made address check case insensitive

I also went through the documentation and added more information on getting things working.  At the same time, I updated all of the documentation to assume that the daemon will be run directly on the Vera instead of on another machine.   Hopefully this will make it a little easier to follow.
Vera 3, Altsteon, (Insteon: Relay (Smarthome & Icon), Dimmer (Smarthome), Keypadlinc, 2420M, Triggerlinc, IOLinc, Garage Hawk, Venstar Thermostat, Fanlinc, MI lock, Appliancelinc, Synchrolinc, iMeter), CurrentCost, (Z-Wave: Schlage lock, GE Appliance switch), AutHomation

Offline Aaron

Re: Altsteon 0.05 released!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 01:54:30 pm »
Nice release!

Have you considered, now that the daemon runs on Vera directly, about publishing a package? I'd assume it would make updating much easier?

Offline garrettwp

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 02:06:20 pm »
fba is looking into this. It is not so easy as he has to include binaries that very across vera platforms.

- Garrett

Offline mwbehr

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 07:33:04 pm »
Hmm....after upgrading to 0.05, my KPLs will no longer control my scenes. The Relay (or Dimmer) responds remotely just fine, but the scene buttons do nothing. I'm honestly sure what happened as I've already tried reverting the KPL files back to the old ones and re-linking the buttons to my PLM.

Edit: I'm an idiot for not checking to see if the Trigger Device was removed from my scenes (it was).

Oh, a couple things I did notice though while bumbling through this issue:

1. There's still a second "Installation" file in vera_files that's obsolete.

2. The device setup for a relay KPL calls for using dimmer-kpl for the device type instead of relay-kpl

Thanks again for your work ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:39:49 pm by mwbehr »

Offline fba

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 12:34:28 pm »
Thanks for pointing these things out.  I'll get them fixed.

The trigger issue you mention has happened to me as well.   It seems that under certain circumstances the ID the Vera uses for the child devices will change, which in turn breaks any triggers you have set up.   I'm not entirely sure how to fix that.   I have considered not having the child device for the KPLs and just including the scene controller functionality in the main device.  Unfortunately, that would break any automations that relied on the child device.
Vera 3, Altsteon, (Insteon: Relay (Smarthome & Icon), Dimmer (Smarthome), Keypadlinc, 2420M, Triggerlinc, IOLinc, Garage Hawk, Venstar Thermostat, Fanlinc, MI lock, Appliancelinc, Synchrolinc, iMeter), CurrentCost, (Z-Wave: Schlage lock, GE Appliance switch), AutHomation

Offline garrettwp

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 12:43:24 pm »
The relay kpl is showing a level percentage similar to what a dimmer shows. Is this normal?

- Garrett

Offline Shakey

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 12:46:00 pm »
My scene buttons don't show up in the relay keypad its empty. I made the change mwbehr pointed out but still nothing. The On Off switch part off it works. The 4 scene buttons are all linked to the plm and the fanlinc they control. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Offline fba

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 03:19:16 pm »
@garrettwp -

It looks like something managed to get in to the JSON file for the relay.   It should be easy enough to fix.  I'll look in to it when I get a second.

@Shakey -

Scene buttons won't show up.  There should be a second device that indicates it is a scene controller, but it won't have anything on it.   The reason is that you can't trigger a scene button in Insteon since it doesn't physically control a load.  I think the idea that the Insteon guys had was that the scene button would send an event, and that even can either control a device directly or trigger something to happen on a controller.

Offline Shakey

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 06:47:02 pm »
fba or anyone who knows,

Okay my scene controller shows like you say.

Here is what I'm trying to do. Maybe I have something set wrong or it can't be done. I have the FanLinc, RelayKeypad, and the plm linked every way HomeLinc2 will allow.

If I use the keypad locally the fan speed buttons are set as radio buttons, Scene A is high, so if I press it the scene A button lights and fan goes to high, and all other scene button lights go out.  Now if I use Vera to change the speed to say slow the fan goes to slow the fanlinc in vera shows a status of low but the keypad indicator still shows high. Can I make the scene indicator lights follow the commands issued from Vera? Is so how do I set it up?

Thanks for your time.

Offline fba

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 09:44:44 pm »
Not yet.   There are commands that will allow you to change the state of the LEDs on the KPLs, but they seem to be broken.   garrettwp was trying to get this functionality working and discovered the breakage.

I actually have a similar problem in some ways.  I have the radio button set up, but my family room was designed to use a 3 way switch to control the lights, so I put KPLs in both boxes.   If you control the fan from one KPL, the other isn't updated, which can leave things in a confusing state.

Hopefully I can sort  out the issue for the next release.

Offline Shakey

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 07:58:22 am »
Fba,

Thanks, I will stop beating my head against the wall trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. If you need some one to try it on a kpl as you sort it out let me know I will be glad to do it.

Offline fba

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 11:23:02 pm »
Thanks Shakey!

I managed to fix the command in the daemon so that I can control the LEDs on my dimmer KPLs.  I kicked the binary over to garrettwp so that he can see if it resolved the strange behavior he was seeing too.   Hopefully it did, at which point the only thing left to do will be to hack up the LUA code to handle it.

This seems to be an important enough feature for folks, that I will push out 0.06 as soon as it is ready.  Even if it is the only change. ;)

Offline Aaron

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 11:45:15 pm »
fba is looking into this. It is not so easy as he has to include binaries that very across vera platforms.

- Garrett

I'd think MCV could give guidance on how to do that... or publish 2 different packages... the only difference is the binaries so building the 2nd one would only take a minute or so longer, I'd think?

Offline topher1086

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 08:13:58 am »
fba,

Have you been able to resolve the issue with the LED indicators on the KeypadLinc?  I just got my setup going with Altsteon and VeraLite.  It works pretty slick, but the scene activated/deactivated lights are quirky.  I've got 2 scenes set up to turn on and off a switchlinc in another room.  I have the triggers on those scenes set up for the Scene Controller and the "A scene is activated" and "A scene is deactivated" and scene 2.  When I press the scene 2 button on the KeypadLinc, it fires the trigger and turns on the other light, as expected.  However, when I press the scene button again to de-activate it, it hits the trigger for the scene is activated and turns the light on again.  It won't turn it off.  I've double checked the scene triggers and they are set correctly.  I wondered if the keypadlinc was bad and was sending the commands to the plm wrong, but I used the "tail" command on the vera to see the logs.  It shows the scene is activated and de-activated as you would expect when pushing the scene buttons.  Is this an issue with Altsteon or with the Vera UI? 

1F.2C.E5 is the KeypadLinc
20.4C.9D is the switchlinc I'm controlling with scene button 2

Thanks in advance.  I appreciate any help you can offer.

Offline garrettwp

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 01:25:01 pm »
Did you load the .05 version files? I was the one who fixed the issues of the kpl not issuing the "A scene is de-activated" and I believe that fba added the the fix in 0.05. I can say that my kpl's are working fine with both triggers with out any issue. I would double check everything.

- Garrett