Author Topic: [Altsteon] Stops working after a few hours  (Read 7928 times)

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: [Altsteon] Stops working after a few hours
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 12:11:16 pm »
I've been pretty low key lately on the forums and with development of my app. I wanted to provide an update on my testing with altsteon. For the past week I have been logging the altsteon interaction with my keypadlinc and fanlinc. The last 7 days I have not had one issue with communication with the devices. Everything was responsive and the remaining hops was always 2. Not sure why prior I was loosing communication with the devices after a few days. I restarted altsteon this morning with no logging and will see how things perform. Hopefully it will hold up like it has the last 7 days.

fba, looking forward to seeing the new implementation. Does the new implantation cause any sort of development road blocks?

- Garrett

Offline Aaron

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 12:32:57 pm »
Aaron -

Are you using the serial interface then?

yes, a PL, not FTDI.

Offline fba

• If it ain't broke, I ain't touched it yet.
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 10:36:29 pm »
@garrettwp -

Good to hear it is working.   So far, the new implementation only seems to introduce one 'problem'.   (And, it isn't much of a problem.)   Originally, Altsteon would let you run the daemon on a different Linux box with the PLM connected to it.  Because of the way that things fit together on the Vera, it would be a bit of extra work to keep that functionality.

However, there is an interesting trade-off that comes along with the changes.   Because ser2net is IP based, it is likely that the changes to support it will allow things like the wizNet to work.

From the end-user perspective, the main change will be that you no longer need to specify the serial port that the PLM is connected to when the daemon starts up.   Instead, you will just configure the PLM to use one of the serial ports that is defined in the Vera UI, and everything will "magically" work.  (From there, it is a small step to have the PLM LUA code load the daemon on startup, followed by having the PLM LUA code detect which binary to use, and then it should be ready to go on the app store.)

From the perspective of the LUA code used by the various devices to present data to the Vera, there are no changes  needed.   There is one or two new result codes that the PLM can kick out, but nothing that end devices should care about.
Vera 3, Altsteon, (Insteon: Relay (Smarthome & Icon), Dimmer (Smarthome), Keypadlinc, 2420M, Triggerlinc, IOLinc, Garage Hawk, Venstar Thermostat, Fanlinc, MI lock, Appliancelinc, Synchrolinc, iMeter), CurrentCost, (Z-Wave: Schlage lock, GE Appliance switch), AutHomation

Offline fba

• If it ain't broke, I ain't touched it yet.
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 10:39:38 pm »
@Aaron -

Interesting.  That basically kills my theory that it is a bug with the FTDI driver.   That leaves me with only two other ideas on what it could be.   Either my code is setting up the serial port in a way that makes the PLM mad sometimes.  Or, the ser2net process that is also attempting to use the PLM's serial port is causing some kind of conflict.  If it turns  out to be either of those issues, then the changes I am working on should resolve the issue.  So, lets cross out fingers. ;)
Vera 3, Altsteon, (Insteon: Relay (Smarthome & Icon), Dimmer (Smarthome), Keypadlinc, 2420M, Triggerlinc, IOLinc, Garage Hawk, Venstar Thermostat, Fanlinc, MI lock, Appliancelinc, Synchrolinc, iMeter), CurrentCost, (Z-Wave: Schlage lock, GE Appliance switch), AutHomation

Offline Aaron

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 10:46:09 pm »
I had to unplug the Vera yesterday due to redoing wiring,  but it had been up 5+  days...  So,  it might be a fluke that I had problems for a bit.  Time will tell,  but for now all is perfect for me...  You code is working perfectly,  and fast!

Thanks for the great work

Offline Aaron

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 12:08:29 am »
And I spoke too soon... 

Seems I can control the lights but the status is not updating.