Author Topic: [Feature Request] User Definable String Fields for Devices & Events  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Aaron

I just submitted this feature request (text below) via the Vera support web page. If you think this would be valuable... please submit a request for it also. Feel free to use my text and/or your own with your own examples.

Feature Request... I think this is an easy one. Please add user/developer long string fields (usage would be optional) for devices and events, and expose them to applications, plugins, web, LUA, etc

This will allow 3rd party apps to store custom info/data and read (parse) those fields to enable custom usage.

Example: a field could store a few identifiers for a device such as authomation:vis=hidden&homebuddy:icon=myicon.jpg

...this string could be parsed by each app and the relevant info be used by them.

thank you for a great device!

Offline mcvflorin

• Administrator
I don't understand exactly what you are asking. Can't this be accomplished with state variables?

Offline Aaron

Can't this be accomplished with state variables?

You tell me :)

I tried adding variables (3 different ones actually) to two different existing devices (one zwave and one insteon)
... under UI5 \ Device \ Tool menu \ Advanced -> "New Variable" field  and every time UI5 message said "State variable added"... but it never shows up in the GUI - even after 'Save' and 'Reload'?

So, I must conclude that either they are not being added or they are not being exposed via the GUI... or there is some magic dust I need to make it work? ;)

Offline mcvflorin

• Administrator
The newly added variable is displayed in the Advanced tab at the bottom. However, you may have to refresh the UI for it to be displayed.

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
So, I must conclude that either they are not being added or they are not being exposed via the GUI... or there is some magic dust I need to make it work? ;)

I bet you are leaving the New Service field blank.

Variables have a namespace ("Service Id") and a name ("Name"). Without specifying both, you haven't created a variable.  Hover the mouse pointer over an existing variable to see its service Id.

Offline Aaron

I bet you are leaving the New Service field blank.

Variables have a namespace ("Service Id") and a name ("Name"). Without specifying both, you haven't created a variable.  Hover the mouse pointer over an existing variable to see its service Id.

...This must be it.
I did not include New Service. If you don't provide everything required, Vera should give you an error - it does not. Poor programming.

I searched all over and could not find any Documentation on this... is there?

Vera is a good product but it seems like MCV needs a designer. Based on using the Vera over the past 2 months it seems the people working on it are mainly programmers, not experienced designers. The "free" alternative to hiring an experienced designer is to have those of us in the community that can design, provide feedback.