Author Topic: Automated Sand Filter Backflush  (Read 4391 times)

Offline Tummy

Automated Sand Filter Backflush
« on: May 31, 2012, 01:03:09 pm »
Hello,

We don't have a pool, but 6 koi ponds that equal about 24,000 gallon. 

I was wondering if anyone know of a way to automate the back flush of Hayward sand filters? I'm thinking of converting a Hayward 220t sand filter (to start) for koi pond use and would like it to have as little maintenance as possible.  We already have the landscape lights, pumps and waterfalls all controlled via z-wave, that was easy, but I haven't been able to find any valve controls.  Either controlled via timer, pressure, or z-wave (ideally).

Front yard pond photo.

Thanks!

Offline dkeefe

Re: Automated Sand Filter Backflush
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 05:01:00 pm »
I don't know of any valve actuators that can handle the standard multiport vales on filters. the valve on my de filter requires you to push down on the handle to actually turn it.

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 08:56:05 am »
You might look at something like this automated multiport valve.

Certikin’s new automatic valve takes complete care of the pool filtration process by activating the wash and back-wash functions without the presence of the pool owner. This automated process ensures that the pool water is always perfectly filtered and is very easy to use. Available in Top and Side mounted versions for both 1.5” and 2”.

Not sure how yet to interface to vera but I would bet some sort of Digital I/O would work...

Offline dkeefe

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:22:18 am »
that is cool, but it does not look cheap!  :D