We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: New plugin for reading the gas and electricity usage from a Dutch Smart meter  (Read 103784 times)

Offline TwannieM

Ren?...
I have no experience at all to enable logging or accessing it..
I have no usb connected because I have poth ports full... can a usb-hub be used?

Offline reneboer

• Beta Testers
Hi Twannie,

On the VeraEdge there is no real reason to move logging to a USB stick that I found. On a VeraLite I do have a USB hub that has a USB stick and the smart meter cable and that works just fine.

When you install the InfoViewer plugin you have the option to look at the log. It is not the most simple way as I can't read that fast and you cannot freeze it. You will see what I mean once you tried it. So I ssh into the Vera and go wild on tail, cat and grep commands. Or I use WinSCP to view the log and/or copy it to my PC for some deeper research. The log file is found in /tmp/log/cmh

Cheers Rene
2xVeraLite, VeraEdge, openLuup, ALTUI, 20 switches, 10 dimmers, 20 sensors, 10 scene controllers, 1 Harmony Hub, many plug-ins. Not enough time.

Offline TwannieM

Hi Rene

The log is too big to attach!...  I opened it with notepad but looks quite messy too...
What tool can I use to vew the log?

Cheers!!

Offline TwannieM

By the way, I have a Vera 3

Offline TwannieM

You are a poweruser right?  ;)
Do/did you notice speed difference between the vera 3 and the Edge?

Offline jvasselt

I have downloaded the last files but I have several problems now ???. In advanced settings the text is outside the device and empty. Only actual usage is visible.
The devices for high and low tarif are not created anymore. In Imperihome on my tablet I see no values for energy anymore. Everything is empty. I have reinstalled the files but the result is bad.
What happened?  I use the Vera Lite

Offline reneboer

• Beta Testers
Hi Twannie,

Get Notepad++ you will love it. It will show new lines correctly where the MS thingy does not. You can indicate you are editing a LUA file and it will highlight accordingly, and has a ton of neat options.

I only have two VeraLites and an Edge but all are running different UI versions (5,6, Edge on 7) making it impossible to compare. I have this so I can test my plugins on each. Only my first VeraLite has a lot on it, but not as much as you I think  ;). Each seems to have faster and slower actions. But the Edge does Z-Wave Plus and that is supposed to be more secure and better for battery powered devices. You can always use a Z-Wave and Z-Wave plus device on a Z-Wave plus controller, but using Z-wave plus on a Z-Wave controller can be difficult. Plus devices are coming to market slowly now, so I have a few now. too early to tell the difference realy.

The Edge has a little more horse power than the Lite and 3 but it has not turned into a number cruncher. But for normal home automation it is fast enough. 'Problem' is that you can do sooo many things with the Vera because it is such an open design you can overload it.

Cheers Rene.
2xVeraLite, VeraEdge, openLuup, ALTUI, 20 switches, 10 dimmers, 20 sensors, 10 scene controllers, 1 Harmony Hub, many plug-ins. Not enough time.

Offline TwannieM

Thanks, Notepad ++ looks great!
Now, the Log file is still huge.. Is there something I can do to narow the search for the meter error?

Offline reneboer

• Beta Testers
Hi Twannie,

In the log you can search for the words dutch or smart.

One that always works is to look for log:<device number>

Cheers Ren

Offline mvzut

• Sr. Newbie
BTW; I am working on a completely different version to read the Dutch Smart meters that allows you to choose the meters to show . High and low separate or combined if you have a single tariff, optionally show meters for energy generation (T1-,T2-) separate or combined, have a separate gas meter, and a separate whole house power meter (only when you have multi tariff or energy generation). All child devices will be standard Power Meters, except the gas one as there is no standard for that, and the processing is completely different. I hope to publish in a week or two as I do not have too much time at the moment.
Any news on your new version Rene? I have just ordered a P1 USB cable and plan to install it on my Vera Lite this weekend...
Vera Edge - 5 x Zwave module (switch/door/water/siren) - RFXtrx interface - ~30 KAKU modules (switch/PIR/smoke) - Netatmo - 6 x Philips Hue - P1 Smart Meter - Opentherm Gateway - Logitech Harmony Hub - 2 x Foscam R2 - 2 x Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-I - Imperihome

Offline reneboer

• Beta Testers
BTW; I am working on a completely different version to read the Dutch Smart meters that allows you to choose the meters to show . High and low separate or combined if you have a single tariff, optionally show meters for energy generation (T1-,T2-) separate or combined, have a separate gas meter, and a separate whole house power meter (only when you have multi tariff or energy generation). All child devices will be standard Power Meters, except the gas one as there is no standard for that, and the processing is completely different. I hope to publish in a week or two as I do not have too much time at the moment.
Any news on your new version Rene? I have just ordered a P1 USB cable and plan to install it on my Vera Lite this weekend...
Just that time is too short at the moment. Cannot give an ETA, so you may just as well go with this current version.

Cheers Rene

Offline TwannieM

To my knowledge this is the latest working version.
Please note the json might not work on UI5 or older and is created for UI7 only, latest version.

Offline TwannieM

Exmaple json

Offline mvzut

• Sr. Newbie
Ok, I installed the latest version of the plugin today, and it is working great! Unfortunately, it did not work immediately. At first I was suspecting some kind of interference between the USB-to-serial converters, as I have already two of those in use (RFXtrx and Opentherm Gateway) via a USB hub, and it worked briefly when I disabled those. But later it turned out to be much simpler: my Kaifa smart meter uses 115200/8 bit/no parity for the serial connection instead of the 9600/7 bit/even parity that is advised.
Next step is to create some scenes with lua code to fill a couple of virtual containers with the daily electricity & gas use (in kWh, m3 and in euros). Maybe an idea to add this to the plugin in the future as child devices?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 01:20:53 pm by mvzut »
Vera Edge - 5 x Zwave module (switch/door/water/siren) - RFXtrx interface - ~30 KAKU modules (switch/PIR/smoke) - Netatmo - 6 x Philips Hue - P1 Smart Meter - Opentherm Gateway - Logitech Harmony Hub - 2 x Foscam R2 - 2 x Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-I - Imperihome

Offline TwannieM

Next step is to create some scenes with lua code to fill a couple of virtual containers with the daily electricity & gas use (in kWh, m3 and in euros). Maybe an idea to add this to the plugin in the future as child devices?
You might as well have a look at the datayours plugin?
How do you use virtual containers.. varaiabeles in the device itself?