Author Topic: if you are fed up with vera....  (Read 2746 times)

Offline ejmm22

if you are fed up with vera....
« on: September 19, 2018, 08:49:20 pm »
After 2 weeks i feel i need to move away from Vera, if you had to switch, which controller brand would you buy?

Offline rafale77

Re: if you are fed up with vera....
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 09:34:19 pm »
1. Hubitat. Cheap, more stable reasonable support. Good device support and some ability to add devices
2. Homeseer. Zwave only, no zigbee. Expensive.
3. Home assistant. Free but need to bring your own hardware. Needs a little more work but integration is light years ahead with a very strong community.
openLuup (97 devices, 134 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (138 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 205 devices, 20 scenes , 2 app) Bridged to Homekit and Alexa. VeraPlus ExtRooted!

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 12:08:58 am »
HS supports ZigBee but you need the jowihue app and  either a Hue bridge or a conbee ZigBee LL/HA USB stick.

I have jowihue and some hue bulbs. It didn't lose connection to the hue the way my vera did. But I had gotten used to not using the bulbs so they are packed away now.

Offline ninkasi

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 12:43:56 am »
After 2 weeks i feel i need to move away from Vera, if you had to switch, which controller brand would you buy?

If you've already invested in Vera, I'd keep it. It's a quality bit of kit and for the majority of people works really well. If you are having issues, then you are most likely joining the group of people who have larger installations of home automation kit and/or are trying to do a lot of different things with it. Assuming that's the case, then what I would do is what I've done now - use the Vera as a bridge to the Zwave gear, and something else to do all the smarts. In my case I'm using a raspberry pi with Home Assistant on it. A bit of a learning curve, but not huge and there is a lot of help out there to point the way.
Home Automation veteran. Rolled own, then MisterHouse and X10, now Vera - mysensor arduino and ESP8266 network - zwave lights, locks, switches - milights - yeelights - google home(s) - Broadlink RM - raspberry pi(s) with various scripts for power and weather station - Logitech Harmony - Imperihome

Offline Ionut S

• The handler
  • Global Moderator
  • A Tribute to Dedicated Insanity
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 01:46:32 am »
Hi, I did not open you a new ticket as you've already had one open. However, I emailed you and waiting for you to get back to us with your feedback regarding the state of the "situation" with your controller so we could see what we should do next to make it better.

All the best!

Slow and steady till' you're ready.
- Customer Care -

Offline ejmm22

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 08:48:10 am »
Thank you to all of you
I do not have a large network, my problem with vera is that all of the sudden it stopped working and recognizing my devices, even those in the same rooms with the controller.
The support has tried to help but every time we go back to the same questions, how far, any changes, any addition in the house, they haven't asked how many cups of water i drink but i am sure one of them will ask that too
I have not made changes in my home, everything has worked in the same location for at least a year without problems and now nothing works, i tried vera plus and got the same errors so if they do not have another answer than trying to blame it on something that has not happened i rather tried something different

Offline peterxbmc

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 01:00:57 pm »
1. Hubitat. Cheap, more stable reasonable support. Good device support and some ability to add devices
2. Homeseer. Zwave only, no zigbee. Expensive.
3. Home assistant. Free but need to bring your own hardware. Needs a little more work but integration is light years ahead with a very strong community.

Your No 3 option Home Assistant was my choice and haven't looked back. I fire up Vera occasionally for sentimental reasons only or to see if I can get a particular piece of hardware working on it. I love a challenge :)

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 02:27:06 pm »
I use OpenHAB with Mios binding for my old Vera Lite.  If they ever get reasonable firmware for my Vera Plus I would be happy to pull it out of the closet and plug it back in.  Unless that happens, I will slowly phase out Vera from my HA.

Offline jeubanks

• Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 03:14:52 pm »
I moved to HomeSeer and my plugin to bridge Vera devices so I can use the ZigBee devices with HomeSeer.

Offline fyford

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 03:51:49 pm »
Does any of the solutions mentioned above work with LigthwareRF kit via  RFXCom?

I'm about ready to jump, just waiting to see what these new guys bring to the table with the MIOS Acquisition... sounds like they mean business... guess time will tell.

Offline kulfsson

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 06:56:36 pm »
It sounds like we are all very much in the same boat.

I just ordered an Raspberry Pi on which I will try to run HASS on. There are certain things in Vera that are not working for me and my patience is almost over.

I hope that the new owners will be able to pull through, but I have already spent way to much frustration on this.

Offline jeubanks

• Beta Testers
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 08:00:28 pm »
Does any of the solutions mentioned above work with LigthwareRF kit via  RFXCom?

I'm about ready to jump, just waiting to see what these new guys bring to the table with the MIOS Acquisition... sounds like they mean business... guess time will tell.

HomeSeer does have an RFXCom plugin.

Offline bucko

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 09:01:44 pm »

If you've already invested in Vera, I'd keep it. It's a quality bit of kit and for the majority of people works really well. If you are having issues, then you are most likely joining the group of people who have larger installations of home automation kit and/or are trying to do a lot of different things with it. Assuming that's the case, then what I would do is what I've done now - use the Vera as a bridge to the Zwave gear, and something else to do all the smarts. In my case I'm using a raspberry pi with Home Assistant on it. A bit of a learning curve, but not huge and there is a lot of help out there to point the way.

I disagree with your response. Vera IS NOT a quality bit of kit. If it was, it would simply work. Having to invest time and $$ into a bandaid solution of bridging Vera is ridiculous. A controller should work and do it's job stand alone. Period.

I bailed after over 6 years fudging with several Veras. I tried and spent countless hours trying to get Vera stable and working. I can tell you Vera's problems are NOT because of Zwave. It is because they have crap FW and server connection issues which restarts Vera constantly until your db is corrupted beyond use.  Support always blames it on something else and cannot fix it either.

I finally wised up, bought a Hubitat recently, and am already enjoying the massive difference this makes to my HA. Speed, 100% local operation, great support, and NO crashes....period. That's the way a controller should work. Also great community support and everyday new stuff added. Updates are posted and it is YOUR choice to update as it should be. I have total control with my Hubitat. I decide everything my way. Unlike Vera.
Vera 3, 40+ Fibaro relays & dimmers, IPUX cams, Elk M1 Gold, M1XEP, M1SP, XVOR, M1RB, Elk124, Monoprice HDMI matrix & 6 zone amp, Denon AVR, Panasonic A8000, BI DV,On Controls

Offline ninkasi

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 07:17:43 am »
I disagree with your response. Vera IS NOT a quality bit of kit. If it was, it would simply work. Having to invest time and $$ into a bandaid solution of bridging Vera is ridiculous. A controller should work and do it's job stand alone. Period.

That's your choice, and I can understand how you personally have had issues with Vera. I too have had issues, but mine were relatively minor and it was pretty stable - just not as stable as I wanted it to be. Of course (according to your sig) I have both a newer Vera as well as fewer devices than you. I suspect I also used far fewer third party plugins than you. Anyhow, thanks for the 'smite' and good luck with Hubitat which according to your previous messages you have had now for perhaps a month or so.
Home Automation veteran. Rolled own, then MisterHouse and X10, now Vera - mysensor arduino and ESP8266 network - zwave lights, locks, switches - milights - yeelights - google home(s) - Broadlink RM - raspberry pi(s) with various scripts for power and weather station - Logitech Harmony - Imperihome

Offline peterxbmc

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 07:44:20 am »

Both work in Home Assistant.

Home Assistant is open source unlike Homeseer which is quite expensive and in most cases you pay for every additional plugin you require.

Do a lot more research on your options and choose what's right for you before you make the break.