Author Topic: if you are fed up with vera....  (Read 2491 times)

Offline fyford

Re: if you are fed up with vera....
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2018, 08:04:02 am »
Does any of the solutions mentioned above work with LigthwareRF kit via  RFXCom?

I'm about ready to jump, just waiting to see what these new guys bring to the table with the MIOS Acquisition... sounds like they mean business... guess time will tell.

HomeSeer does have an RFXCom plugin.

Thanks! Looking on their site it does not seem like the plugin supports LightwaveRF... I'll keep looking

Offline peterxbmc

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2018, 05:22:40 pm »
Does any of the solutions mentioned above work with LigthwareRF kit via  RFXCom?

I'm about ready to jump, just waiting to see what these new guys bring to the table with the MIOS Acquisition... sounds like they mean business... guess time will tell.

HomeSeer does have an RFXCom plugin.

Thanks! Looking on their site it does not seem like the plugin supports LightwaveRF... I'll keep looking

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/guide-control-lightwaverf-gen-1-in-home-assistant-using-rfxcom/35343

Offline fyford

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 06:02:11 pm »
Many thanks PeterXMBC

Offline ejmm22

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 11:06:33 am »
Hi, I did not open you a new ticket as you've already had one open. However, I emailed you and waiting for you to get back to us with your feedback regarding the state of the "situation" with your controller so we could see what we should do next to make it better.

All the best!

and i have replied and asked for help and nothing happens and no one cares

Offline fyford

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 04:39:19 pm »
PeterXMBC :: I paged through their website and it seems like that might be the way to go. Could not quite figure out how it connects to ZWAVE without a ZWAVE hat though? Is it best to just keep your Vera for that?

Offline Mike Yeager

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 07:35:02 pm »
I'm using an Aeotec Z-Stick with mine. Very responsive and configurable, although it takes a bit more to learn. Think PLEG for the learning curve...

Offline Isablend

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 05:09:51 am »
I've made the jump to Home Assistant.   The learning curve is significant (in my view, but its largely python based coding), but I think its been worth it.  I now have a bespoke UI dedicated to my house (I'm using Lovelace).   All the technologies I use are working (LightwaveRF (RFXTRX lighting), Zwave (window control), Somfy (RFXTRX blinds), Evohome (heating), Visonic (security alarm), Sonos (sound), Harmony (entertainment), Darksky (weather forecast), xiaomi (robot vacuum cleaner, but potentially more).   The community of developers is first class (although I think that is true of Vera also).   It's on a Raspberry PI so can be upgraded as and when required.   All devices provide a history of data so I can see what has happened and when.   It's taken me a month or so to do the full migration, but I did it gradually moving one technology at a time.   There is the capability to link with Vera so if something isn't yet available you can always leave on Vera.   I also use automation and have gone from using PLEG to their own control logic (basically a bunch of trigger -> conditions -> action type statements.)

One potentially very important caveat.   The founders have just announced the introduction of a $5/month subscription for use of cloud connectivity, which is used for easy integration to Alexa and Google Home (it can be done with a home-brew solution, but not so easy).   They say its to support the cost of providing the cloud infrastructure and some future developments.

Offline Mike Yeager

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 09:03:14 am »
The learning curve is significant, but if you used PLEG, it's not that bad. The Vera integration is extremely useful (I have a scene controller that I can't figure out how to bring into HA) and I'm using it with virtual switches for super easy Alexa integration.

When I started moving things over, I did one at a time and basically just moved my PLEG conditions over and recreated the actions. There's a template testing window that allows you to test conditions and see the results. I have since learned how to put multiple trigger conditions into the same automation and have different results. If you get creative, it's not necessary to have an automation to turn something on and then another to turn it back off. HA supports groups (and the status of the group is usable in triggers and conditions). It's miles ahead of Vera in many ways.

Online krementz

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 05:26:20 pm »
Responding to the OP - I switched to Homeseer. I had 4 Veras on 3 sites. reliability and consistency was problematic.

I kept one Vera on a simple setup, less than a dozen devices, low transactions, nothing complex. Works fine.

My primary Homeseer has over 100 devices and quite a few events. Only had to reboot once or twice in 6 months. The Veras it replaced rebooted many times per day.

The reliability of the Ecobee plugins were night and day. Never did get the Vera Ecobee plugin working right, many hours wasted. The Homeseer plugin worked right away, very little tweaking needed. I have 8 Ecobees and 24 remote sensors. Several of the other Vera plugins were essentially severely out of date/crippled or otherwise ineffectual. More wasted time.

I use two old Z-wave-less Veras as wifi access points, so I still have some use out of them. No problems as simple 2.4 GHz APs.

Yes, Homeseer and plugins are more expensive. But, IT WORKS!

Offline holdmade

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2018, 05:18:26 am »
I've moved over to Smartthings as my new 2018 Samsung TV has a smartthings app so can use the TV remote and on screen interface to control my devices.
Native devices a bit limited but a great community develops device handlers for most things.
Webcore is available and is like more powerful PLEG.
AND Samsung have just released a (limited) API

Eventghost has just released a Zwave plugin too..

Offline citizenxnz

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2018, 04:49:41 pm »
Alternatively there is Homey. Have just switched, and am very very happy.  Have used Vera 3, Smartthings and HomeAssistant, and this is the best so far.

https://www.athom.com/en/

Excellent integration of Xiaomi sensors, IFTTT works out of the box, all the plugins are free (unlike some other solutions), and now they have region variants available (EU, US, AU/NZ, etc)

Offline bucko

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2018, 08:15:52 pm »
Look at Hubitat Elevation. 2 months after dumping my VeraPlus and loving it.
Vera 3, 40+ Fibaro relays & dimmers, IPUX cams, Elk M1 Gold, M1XEP, M1SP, XVOR, M1RB, Elk124, Monoprice HDMI matrix & 6 zone amp, Denon AVR, Panasonic A8000, BI DV,On Controls

Offline billmans

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2018, 03:54:04 pm »
I would go openHAB!

https://youtu.be/JBWFIkqL98o

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline jvanhambelgium

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2018, 11:27:24 am »
Alternatively there is Homey. Have just switched, and am very very happy.  Have used Vera 3, Smartthings and HomeAssistant, and this is the best so far.

Excellent integration of Xiaomi sensors, IFTTT works out of the box, all the plugins are free (unlike some other solutions), and now they have region variants available (EU, US, AU/NZ, etc)

Didn't they ditch the PC/desktop/web-interface (homey 2.0) completely forcing you to use the mobile-app for like everything ? Including making flows etc ?

Offline citizenxnz

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2018, 11:57:16 am »

Didn't they ditch the PC/desktop/web-interface (homey 2.0) completely forcing you to use the mobile-app for like everything ? Including making flows etc ?

V2 is not released yet, and yes that's what they have said they are doing.  There are questions on how this will work and Homey/Athom have regularly said not to worry, they think the solution will be good.  So until we see any details it is all speculation at this point.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk