Author Topic: New (Coming soon) Kwikset Keyless Deadbolt  (Read 189 times)

Offline Jamr

New (Coming soon) Kwikset Keyless Deadbolt
« on: September 19, 2018, 09:50:30 pm »
Pretty cool Kwikset keyless lock has nothing but a square keypad looking touchscreen on one side and is Z-Wave plus.
It says it has a new technology to keep your finger prints from giving away the code.
"It features patented SecureScreen? technology to prevent code detection from fingerprints on the touchscreen."
We will see how that works.
Any thoughts?
https://www.kwikset.com/products/styles/obsidian-deadbolt-with-home-connect.aspx

Offline MarcusB

Re: New (Coming soon) Kwikset Keyless Deadbolt
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 01:19:37 am »
I have a hunch it just moves the location of the buttons at random.

That means instead of just a backlight, it needs an oLED or something screen.  They're not too expensive nowadays and are pretty energy efficient.

Offline rigpapa

Re: New (Coming soon) Kwikset Keyless Deadbolt
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 08:13:39 am »
I have a hunch it just moves the location of the buttons at random.

That means instead of just a backlight, it needs an oLED or something screen.  They're not too expensive nowadays and are pretty energy efficient.

Seems likely. I had access control keypads in my data center that did this. Really fun to show people when walking them through on a sales tour... such a simple thing blows them away, because they'd never seen it anywhere else, but it actually adds very little to security. At the time, a patent was held by the one company that made them, and they were outrageously expensive for what they are. The ones we used just had seven segment LED displays behind the clear keytops.
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3 sandbox.