We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: When will Scene creation NOT SUCK?  (Read 4050 times)

Offline Aaron

When will Scene creation NOT SUCK?
« on: June 05, 2012, 12:26:05 am »
I know this has been complained about 100x... and for very good reason... Vera's built-in Scene creation more useless than a dead cat - a dead cat might actually have more uses, yes.

LUUP scripting should be the last resort, needed in 5% or less of the cases.

The simple fact is that the CORE of Scene for ALL HA apps worth a crap is built-in If/Then or Conditional checks ('Schedules' are NOT Conditionals - they are Triggers the way Vera uses them) -- so, yes, Vera's scene creation is crap.  Vera's built-in Scene creation ability is 'maybe' 10% of what any average HA app on the market can do - this includes free ones also.

So... UI5 might mean MCV has wasted a ton of time changing the graphics (which is a waste of time) but as for Automation functionality it is at UI0.5

I'm sure we will get no response from MCV so I'm just ranting... but I hope I'm wrong. But, I doubt MCV has the time to respond since they are likely working on UI6, 7, and 8... all with no new functionality, just changing the device icons and gfx colors.

arg

Offline mcvflorin

• Administrator
Re: When will Scene creation NOT SUCK?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 08:54:56 am »
The next UI could have built-in conditionals (I'll insist to get this feature added), but AFAIK there are no plans for a new UI, at least not this year.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 08:58:49 am »
[...]UI5 might mean MCV has wasted a ton of time changing the graphics (which is a waste of time) but as for Automation functionality it is at UI0.5
The graphics/look-and-feel part were done outside of the core MCV team.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline chris66

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 09:11:04 am »
Agree with that,

Come from Housebot, and despite almost dead, this soft was able to give the opportunity to dummies to configure easy scenes with "if then else and or" and all that kind of functions without needing to luup (or script) and debug all night long.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 01:40:55 pm »
[...]UI5 might mean MCV has wasted a ton of time changing the graphics (which is a waste of time) but as for Automation functionality it is at UI0.5
The graphics/look-and-feel part were done outside of the core MCV team.

OK then, simple fix... FIRE those retards and simply ask the Vera user community what they want/need for the UI!

Offline kmik05

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 02:15:00 pm »
Just throwing in my 2 cents... I agree with the original post. I am not a techie or a programer, nor do I have time to become one. I am just a homeowner that would like more control. Schlage got me on board with ZWave with their system, which was wonderfully easy to use, albeit a little limited which is why I came to Vera. I do believe that Vera is way too complicated, and there should be basic functions that are simple options in scene setup. For instance. I would think it would be common that when you unlock your front door, and it's dark out, you'd want the lights to turn on. Why on earth should something so basic require luup script???

MCV, please simplify scene creation (and make the overall UI more intuitive for common folk), and I promise you'll get more customers!

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 07:32:26 pm »
The next UI could have built-in conditionals (I'll insist to get this feature added), but AFAIK there are no plans for a new UI, at least not this year.

I am a Vera 2 user. I have decided to not upgrade to a newer Vera because it would be 150$, considering the upgrade program, lost on the tings I really want from home automation. If such functionality can be brought to my device I will sing the praise of Vera as I once did in the four month period surrounding my purchase of the unit. I have had the money for HomeSeer in escrow since several weeks after UI5 was released and demonstrated that it did close to nothing to improve functionality over UI4. I will purchase HomeSeer when HS3 hits the market. Conditional logic... Come on! You try to make a user friendly device and then turn around and expect the users to be computer programmers fluent in LUA in order to make a scene have an "or" function? And then a new interface is developed with no end of disasters, that can't be officially sent out to V1 or V2 users, which seems to cause many more problems than it fixes? If MCV can correct this repulsive disaster I'll stick with them, and I'll buy a new device from them.... two or three iterations later. I have no faith. I can unlock my door with a key for free and I can turn my light on and off for the same cost. Conditional logic is necessary to make HA worth while in the long run. turning your lights on and off from your PC or phone is only fun for a limited period of time.
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.