Author Topic: How deep is SQ blaster integrated in vera 3  (Read 5027 times)

Offline Cor

How deep is SQ blaster integrated in vera 3
« on: June 05, 2012, 05:41:46 pm »
Hi all,

I am very new to Zwave and actually haven't bought anything yet , hopefully I have time to buy it next week, when I know it does what i want.

Basically I want to switch on and change channels of my tv / sat reviver when I am on the other side of the world. 
Is this possible with the vera3 in combination with the SQ blaster+. Also is this fully integrated in the interface of the vera3 programm? , or do I have to switch programs all the time?.

many thanks,
Cor
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:02:30 pm by Cor »

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
Re: How far is SQ blaster integrated in vera 3
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 06:07:55 pm »
Once you load the plugin for the blaster, you then need to install an IR plugin to interface it with! You may be lucky if one exists, or you may not, and might have to create one!

Even once both plugins are installed, Vera would only really give you scene control where you would need to create scenes for the channels you want to use, or other buttons like individual numbers 0-9 etc. There is also a control from another page in vera that essentially has all the links to the correct actions and buttons, its ugly but will also work until MCV's remote is working correctly.

If you know a bit of HTML, you also build your own page with a nice custom remote!

Of course if you already have an iOS device such as an iPod Touch/iPhone or iPad, then the above all becomes really easy and you can just control it from there via Vera or a VPN!

What Sat TV service do you use? I assume you need this to stream it remotely ala slingbox or similar?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 06:10:52 pm by strangely »
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline Cor

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 08:01:38 pm »
@ Strangely,

Many thanks for your answer, I am not sure what "scenes" are , I guess it is like a "preset" of different settings.  That would be very okay , For example , TV on , sat on , HDMI 1, sat channel5  if I can build that in a scene , that would be exactly what I want.

But what are you saying about an IR plugin. You say I might have top create one, does it involve programming computer language? , since that is something I cannot.  If this plugin does not exist , it won't work with these scenes? :-( How can I find out of such a plugin exist? (if it cannot do this , what is the use of connecting the vera 3 with SQ blaster?)

What I actually want is that for example at 08:00 pm my tv switches on together with my sat reciever and like this it seems someone is at home.

I do have an Ipad and I understand you can control your devices with it when you're at home. You are saying you can controll your AV-devices via for example an Ipad via internet (other side of the world).

Many thanks again ,
Cor

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 03:19:40 am »
@ Strangely,
Many thanks for your answer, I am not sure what "scenes" are , I guess it is like a "preset" of different settings.  That would be very okay , For example , TV on , sat on , HDMI 1, sat channel5  if I can build that in a scene , that would be exactly what I want.

In MiOS terms you can think of Scenes as macros controlling anything that's linked to your Vera like lights, locks, AV gear etc etc, except that apart from just regular button pushes (within the GUI or via an external scene controller) they allow more flexibility to have have the scene or (macro) run based on an external trigger, or on a timer. For instance you can automate a scene that turns all your AV gear on, and switches to a certain channel at a certain time of the day; once you have created a basic scene, you can add timers and events to it; an event could be something like a door opening, PIN code entered in a lock, alarm panel being disarmed etc, the possibilities are endless!

You can start out simple though and create a few basic ones though that are channel shortcuts commanded via IR etc by a button push in the GUI :)

But what are you saying about an IR plugin. You say I might have top create one, does it involve programming computer language? , since that is something I cannot.  If this plugin does not exist , it won't work with these scenes?

There are a lot of IR plugins already generated, and it there isn't one already for your devices then its not too difficult with a bit of copy and pasting text (pronto codes) to adapt it work! You don't need to be a programmer, but it may take you a little bit of trial and error and research!

-( How can I find out of such a plugin exist?

What equipment do you have? I can tell you if its supported or not!
What I actually want is that for example at 08:00 pm my tv switches on together with my sat reciever and like this it seems someone is at home.

Perfectly doable, just see my first answer :)

I do have an Ipad and I understand you can control your devices with it when you're at home. You are saying you can controll your AV-devices via for example an Ipad via internet (other side of the world).

Yes but without a Vera you wouldn't have any automated control (timed scenes), and you would need to set up a VPN (safest method) or do some port forwarding through your router etc which is not so safe!
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
Re: How deep is SQ blaster integrated in vera 3
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 03:25:37 am »
Here's a thread on one of the ways to create a Vera plugin from the inbuilt database within the SQ blaster if you don't get on with the copy and paste method:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,5734.0.html