We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Wife approved IR / Z-Wave AV remote ?  (Read 7475 times)

Offline JamesM

Wife approved IR / Z-Wave AV remote ?
« on: June 19, 2012, 08:41:41 pm »
My Logitech 890 (none pro) is on its last leg so I'm trying to find a replacement remote in the $250-300 range preferably Z-wave and can work with Vera.

Since my budget is kind of tight I have been thinking about skipping out on the z-wave and going with the Logitech 1100 but I was curious what you use / recommend?

Vera2- UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | SQ Blaster | 5 ICS Android Tablets - AutHomation | 28x GE 45606 switches  | 2x LFM-20 (Fireplace;Garage Door) | 1x hardwired Everspring SM103-1 |3 NorthQ, 1 Foscam IP cameras | Kwikset Locks | ..Not enough time to program  :'(

Offline ehillis

Re: Wife approved IR / Z-Wave AV remote ?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 11:52:01 pm »
I have just converted a logitech 1000 and 1100 to redeye with the intent of integrating it with vera after UI5 +(a few more releases of the firmware)  stabilizes and includes new z-wave devices correctly. Also researching what convergence in av equipment, networks and computers is likely and maybe should replace existing equipment. Pleased with Redeye and its capabilities so far. Stability is outstanding.Using an android with both HomeBuddy and Redeye on it and using a task switcher to provide a single point of control. I have this device cloned in several areas of the house which I find is required. The nice thing about Redeye is that I can control units in different rooms from every controller. This approach precludes using scenes to turn TV's etc off automatically but eventually I will get it integrated fully.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 01:44:56 am by ehillis »

Offline DeltaNu1142

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 03:41:08 pm »
Monster Central AVR300 is pretty much a rebranded Harmony 890, and it's dirt cheap.  I have two, and the WAF is low.  I would prefer something that integrates more easily, but the learning curve for you would be very flat coming from the Harmony.
Vera 3 @ UI5 | HomeWave | PLEG

Offline JamesM

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 11:17:20 am »

I have a an Android Tablet that sits on the coffee table already along with my iPhones that use SQ Connect through the SQ Blaster but I really need the tactile feedback a normal remotes provides. Plus, I don't mind tossing a remote from one side of the couch to the other but I wouldn't with a 10" tablet.

Monster Central AVR300

They are cheap but god are they ugly. Also getting z-wave working is just as hard as its brother 890Pro.

What are most people using for an IR remote that also controls Z-wave?

Is there a hardware and plugin solution that can take an IR command and translate it over IP or RS232 for vera to turn off my lights?

Vera2- UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | SQ Blaster | 5 ICS Android Tablets - AutHomation | 28x GE 45606 switches  | 2x LFM-20 (Fireplace;Garage Door) | 1x hardwired Everspring SM103-1 |3 NorthQ, 1 Foscam IP cameras | Kwikset Locks | ..Not enough time to program  :'(

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 11:36:47 am »
I bought a Monster Central AVR300 for around 60 bucks. What a piece of crap. The display is absolutely horrible. I just ditched it for a global cache itach and started setting up my remotes in irule. I have it issue commands to my vera for different activities. So far works pretty good. Ran into some IR issues and the ir sensors.

- Garrett

Offline JamesM

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 02:26:40 pm »
I bought a Monster Central AVR300 for around 60 bucks. What a piece of crap.
- Garrett

You know, this would be a mute point if you had SQ remote or any other IR hardware integration with Authomation ;-)

Seriously though, I went ahead with the 1100 and promptly returned it the next day. Hopefully I can find a used 890 Pro to hold me over until something for the Android Tablets come out.

What are you using now Garrett?

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 10:07:34 pm »
JamesM,

As much as I would love to support IR control, it would be way to complex to implement right now. My focus is to get smaller things working with the app and support more devices.

As for a solution I am using. I am using irule with my android phone and tablet using an itach. Still have lots to do in getting my configuration complete.

- Garrett

Offline Derek Macias

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 11:13:07 am »
I know this is a little old.  My wife was able to handle the harmony 890 pro. I would still have to remind her to keep it pointed at the TV for a second and not set it down right away.  And how to use the help menu when she messed it up.  But she did pretty good.  I set up a few scenes for lights and she would just go to rf control and run them.  I recently retired it to the bedroom and now use a NEVO Q50 which I love.  It's a little wider than the harmony and there is a S70 that has wifi and is smaller but fewer buttons. Compared to the Logitech software, Nevostudio is so much better and more versatile.