Author Topic: Lowering heat w/ Z-wave thermostat when going into NIGHT mode?  (Read 1855 times)

Offline nutshellml

Lowering heat w/ Z-wave thermostat when going into NIGHT mode?
« on: October 23, 2018, 06:41:11 pm »
Evening all,

I have UI7, Vera Plus, and Honeywell Z-Wave Thermostats.  I have my heat/cooling schedule programmed directly with the Thermostat, for example right now at 11:30pm the heat drops to 62 then at 6:30am it goes up to 68 all programmed w/ the thermostat.

Goal
I want that when the user puts Vera in NIGHT mode it will lower the heat to 62 regardless of time.  Reason - if we go to bed at 9pm, no reason to keep heat up.

Problem
I made that change in my Vera MODES under NIGHT and it worked to lower the heat when I went into NIGHT mode, BUT at 6:30am (still in night mode), when the Thermostat schedule is supposed to kick in and bump the temp to 68, it doesn't.

2nd Question
Does anyone have the command strings for when you want to use the Honeywell Thermostat in Advance Editor?  Specifically how to set the thermostat to go return to the schedule?

Anyone have any recommended solutions?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 08:13:17 pm by nutshellml »

Offline Nameless

Re: Lowering heat w/ Z-wave thermostat when going into NIGHT mode?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 01:41:05 pm »
You could move the thermostat program into scenes instead of having them run in the thermostat. That would give you the flexibility to update the setting to 68 at 6:30 AM regardless of the Mode setting.

I no longer use any programs in my thermostat and do all changes in scenes or manually. Let's me make a change and know that my next trigger time or Mode change will make the update for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Don Phillips

Re: Lowering heat w/ Z-wave thermostat when going into NIGHT mode?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 08:30:11 pm »
The issue with scenes are LUUP restarts in the middle of scene execution.  For a couple of years, I have been using PLEG. I have it enable/disable Night mode on a schedule unless if in Away or Vacation mode. So for all 4 modes, I adjust the thermostat accordingly:

Mode          Cool       Heat
-------        -----       ------
Home           73          68
Away            75          65
Night            72          65
Vacation       80          60

I further look at the outside temperature. If >65, turn on cooling mode. If < 60, turn on heating mode. Very handle in spring and fall when you may switch modes from heating in the morning to cooling in the afternoon.

Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101, Everspring motion sensor, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa