We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: amazon alexa announcement if a vera device door sensor is open/close  (Read 3478 times)

Offline SRACP

• Sr. Newbie
Re: amazon alexa announcement if a vera device door sensor is open/close
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 12:00:05 pm »
Get it together Vera. When someone rings my Ring Doorbell Alexa says ?Someone is at the front door?

Offline jorisdekloris

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 01:54:38 am »
Yes, we need this. Announcing is powerful in home automation!

Offline Catman

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 03:03:09 am »
Yes, we need this. Announcing is powerful in home automation!

I'd rather sensors didn't randomly stop working :(

C

Offline ZW-Tom

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 02:36:10 pm »
Alexa will only announce two types of device actions in an Alexa routine, motion or a door/window trigger device (at this tinme). Vera does not include these type of devices for Alexa. To see this, go to "Manage Alexa" in your Vera controllers manaagement, and the devices do not include any motion or door sensors. Any sensor type defined as a motion or door/window trigger can be used to trigger a custom Alexa announcement routine.

I wanted to get this feature added to my home Auto system some time before I get old and die waiting for Vera to do it, so I got an ISY 994i and wow, 30 minutes later it was a go! The nice thing about ISY is that you can make ANY device, a switch etc., a motion type "sensor" that Alexa will respond to.

Some time ago, someone developed a way to include VSwitchs in the Alexa devise list. If that same approch was applied to motion and door sensors, life would be good with Vera/Alexa users.

Life with Vera has been like a bad marriage. You can keep hanging on for all the wrong reasons, but in the end, divorce may be the final solution to be happy again. I have a large investment with Vera. Four devices, 4,873 lines of custom code (sorry, I don't use Apps), and like a marrage, alot of time.

So, when Vera says they are going to add it in the future, like in a marriage, WHEN!

Vera, I am cheating on you with ISY. If you want keep this marriage intact, do your part!

Tom

Offline vwroger

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 02:57:42 pm »
i also use some smart life door sensor and they show up in devices under alexa  and from there you can have her do a routine and say anything you want for what ever reason my vera / zwave devices dont show up as sensor in alexa so for 20 dollars you could just put up an extra senor

Offline BigE-TX

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 08:12:57 pm »
Count me in.  I have my alarm system tied into Vera.  It'd be nice to have the potential to use the dozen plus sensors for various purposes in Alexa.  I'd previously included a wireless alarm sensor adjacent to the magnetic actuator of a traditional wired push button doorbell; upon activation it trips the magnetic sensor's reed relay sending me notice via Vera that the doorbell was rung. 

Better still would be having it announce on all 4 Alexas that someone is at the door.  I find it interesting that I can ask Alexa for the status of 3 different brands of door locks [locked vs unlocked] w/in Vera and she responds just fine.  Hopefully adding the functionality for the sensors to come through into Alexa is not complicated.  I have lots of alarm sensors and zwave sensors that would greatly enhance the system's functionality.

Offline wilme2

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 12:51:04 pm »
I want announcements too. 

I have two z-wave motions at my front door, and want to be able to announce when someone is at the door - delivery folks don't ring the bell these days and want to announce so we can bring in our packages.  But only if both motions are triggered to prevent false positives (wildlife)...

I would also announce other things that are currently alert driven (currently only cell phone notification) like doors left open...
Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Offline RV

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 04:06:46 pm »
I find the echo/vera integration a little too iffy.
The echo dot will tell me my controller is offline when it's not.

The Vera / HA combination works very well and doesn't rely on the cloud for alerts/notification/functions.

Offline wilme2

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2019, 04:26:05 pm »
The Vera / HA combination works very well and doesn't rely on the cloud for alerts/notification/functions.

I use the HA bridge too, but it doesn't support alerts or notifications AFAIK.  It works great to control devices, but that is it-
Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)