Author Topic: Zwave for Installers  (Read 14373 times)

Offline TimAlls

Re: Zwave for Installers
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 12:30:12 pm »
Imagine you are responsible to install and support 50 projects that use Vera as a primary Zwave controller and every install is different.....every install has many dimmers and many in wall 4 button controllers. At the end of each install you must teach a low tech person to operate the system.
That thought for me is more like a nightmare! My phone would never stop ringing! As an installer you can see the beauty of the Leviton Software....the Zwave testing....routing....signal strength...ability to restore networks....create new primary controllers....on and on.
If MCV would move toward the Leviton Software in the setup of a Zwave Network then installers might look at using the unit as a Master Controller in new home construction which would shoot their sales through the roof.....that would give them more money to work out the issues with UI5! ;D
As it is now, this unit will remain a toy more for people that can afford to tinker with it for their own personal useage.....IMHO of course!
Are their any installers out there that disagree? Let's here from you.
Regards
Tim Alls

Offline bucko

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 10:36:42 pm »
Imagine you are responsible to install and support 50 projects that use Vera as a primary Zwave controller and every install is different.....every install has many dimmers and many in wall 4 button controllers. At the end of each install you must teach a low tech person to operate the system.
That thought for me is more like a nightmare! My phone would never stop ringing! As an installer you can see the beauty of the Leviton Software....the Zwave testing....routing....signal strength...ability to restore networks....create new primary controllers....on and on.
If MCV would move toward the Leviton Software in the setup of a Zwave Network then installers might look at using the unit as a Master Controller in new home construction which would shoot their sales through the roof.....that would give them more money to work out the issues with UI5! ;D
As it is now, this unit will remain a toy more for people that can afford to tinker with it for their own personal useage.....IMHO of course!
Are their any installers out there that disagree? Let's here from you.
Regards
Tim Alls

As a newbi to Z Wave, I bought the Vera 3 thinking it was a solid controller and user friendly enough for me to get working. I feel your pain, as I spend many frustrating hours banging away at this thing to get the simplest functions to work. I am not a luup coder, and frankly don't care to be one. I started a thread appealing to MCV to rewrite and organize their docs to give detailed step by step directions for operating the Vera 3. I don't think they will take this seriously.  I'm now looking at the Homeseer Center 2 as a possible controller.

Like you said, MCV should understand there is a huge non professional market for controllers. I am in China, and my HA project has generated a lot of interest. My project is far from finished, but already I have a company requesting me to design their security and automation systems for their new Technology Park starting construction in Feb. This a several acre complex, multiple office buildings and even includes an executive VIP villa complex.  They want it done, send us a bill. What will I use for controllers? At this point it won't be Vera.

While no doubt Vera is a powerful capable controller, it is not usable if I have to spend a lifetime getting it all to work.
Vera 3, 40+ Fibaro relays & dimmers, IPUX cams, Elk M1 Gold, M1XEP, M1SP, XVOR, M1RB, Elk124, Monoprice HDMI matrix & 6 zone amp, Denon AVR, Panasonic A8000, BI DV,On Controls

Offline PurdueGuy

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 01:54:04 am »
Regarding the primary role shifting, you must have VRCPG firmware 2.54 and a recent version of the Installer Tool (say 1.1.0.0). Role shifting is then supported between Installer Tool and VRCPG. I'm also able to shift roles between Installer Tool and Vera, as well as from Vera to VRCPG. But from VRCPG to Vera appears to fail. (BTW, ThinkEssentials allows you to just force the primary role; so you can always use that (carefully). Same in Vera when using 3.20.)
What steps are you using to shift between Installer Tool and Vera?  Right now, Vera is primary.  The Installer Tool won't pick up my newest Scene Controller that was added after the VRUSB.  (Well, it was sort of added - but I can't do anything with it and it is greyed out, as are some other devices).

I have a backup of both Vera and the Installer Tool file, but I don't feel like crashing everything at the moment when I click "Controller Shift!"    ;D

Also, when shifting back to Vera, does Vera remember all the DeviceID/NodeID mappings?  So DeviceIDs don't change?  And what happens with locks?  Do they have to be re-included with the new primary, or do the encryption keys get transferred?

I did upgrade to a Vera3 (from Vera2) without issues.  I'd just like a little more control over routes and test signals, since Vera seems to do a heal every other night now, and I can't figure out why.  (It isn't a huge deal, since it will complete now with the faster process/more memory.)
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 12:52:21 am »
What steps are you using to shift between Installer Tool and Vera?
To shift primary role to IT:
Vera: Setup > Z-Wave Settings > Advanced > Controller shift
IT: Join Existing Network

To shift primary role to Vera:
Vera: Setup > Z-Wave Settings > Advanced > Copy Z-Wave network from a master controller
IT: Transfer Primary Role

I had Z-Wave firmware 4.52 on both Vera and the Leviton stick / CT stick. (It doesn't appear to work if you have 5.02 on the stick / mismatch in firmware versions(?).)

Also, when shifting back to Vera, does Vera remember all the DeviceID/NodeID mappings?  So DeviceIDs don't change?
It appears so. The NodeIDs shouldn't have changed; she just receives the same ones back. And presumably because these are existing devices, the DeviceID doesn't change either.

And what happens with locks?
I haven't tried (yet).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 12:55:15 am by oTi@ »
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 11:09:22 am »
And what happens with locks?
I haven't tried (yet).
Quickly tried a few things last night:

Vera Lite (primary) -> IT (secondary), followed by controller shift: Vera Lite can still operate the lock.
IT (primary) -> Vera 2 (UI4, secondary): Vera 2 cannot operate the lock.
Controller shift back from IT to Vera Lite: strange stuff going on at the Z-Wave level; will have to re-try.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline michaelthoward

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 04:00:15 pm »
I don't want to cross-post, but I would appreciate it if any of you guys folks with Leviton Installer Tool + Vera experience could comment on my posting/questions:
  http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,12618.0.html

Thanks,
Michael

Offline htcheng

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 06:14:22 pm »
Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I have a ControlThink USB stick and now that their website is out of commission, I cannot find their firmware updater for 4.52 or 5.02 -- does anyone have a copy of the firmware updater?

I'd love to resurrect this thing rather than buy a new stick from Leviton.

Thanks in advance!

Offline RogerO

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2015, 07:06:40 pm »
I think I have it.
I have a couple files named this:
Zwave Installer Controller V4.52_us.ctu
Zwave Installer Controller V5.02 patch 3_us.ctu
and several installer downloads. Send me a pvt message with an email address and I will put it out on onedrive and send you the link.

Offline baracoota

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2015, 04:54:29 pm »
RogerO, Could you please PM me so I could get those files as well. For some reason I cannot PM you. Thanks!

Offline RogerO

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2015, 10:31:32 am »
Sent PM. Let me know if you did not get it.

Offline needctctu

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2019, 01:36:30 am »
I think I have it.
I have a couple files named this:
Zwave Installer Controller V4.52_us.ctu
Zwave Installer Controller V5.02 patch 3_us.ctu
and several installer downloads. Send me a pvt message with an email address and I will put it out on onedrive and send you the link.

Sorry for the necro but would you or someone else be willing to send me these two firmware files? Thanks.

Offline RogerO

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 08:20:48 am »
will check tonight if I still have them.

Offline RogerO

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 11:02:03 am »
Sent you a PM with a link. Let me know if that doesn't work.

Roger