We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Foscam IP Camera Plugin  (Read 269536 times)

Offline Trotsky40

Re: Foscam IP Camera Plugin
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 07:10:29 pm »
@mvcflorin

If my advanced tab looks OK and the Motion Sensor of the Foscam module does not appear to work for any of my five cameras (3 Linksys WVC80N and 2 Foscam FI8910W), what would your recommend as a next step?  Would it make sense to remove a couple of the cameras and let Vera refind them?

I am in the same situation. The cameras are working well (love the addition of presets with the latest firmware), but my motion sensors are completely non-functional. I know the cameras are still sensing motion since I am receiving the motion emails directly from the camera but the Vera isn't registering anything. I have reset Vera, reset the cameras, deleted and reinstalled the cameras and still am getting nothing from the three motion sensors.
Vera Plus- A wide variety of z-wave devices, a few zigbee devices, Sonos, and Phillips Hue bulbs via Hue Bridge.

Offline ehillis

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2012, 07:22:06 pm »
Any chance of having the motion for Foscam FI8904W cams?

Offline mcvflorin

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2012, 06:12:18 am »
@silvereagle2208 and @Trotsky40

The last plugin version (2.1) had a major flaw: it worked correctly only for one camera. I published a new version today (2.2) that fixes that flaw and some other bugs. However, for the fix to work you have to tell the plugin to reconfigure the cameras: find the ConfiguredMD variable in the camera's Advanced tab, set it to 1 and Save.

Any chance of having the motion for Foscam FI8904W cams?

This should work for all the Foscam cameras that can send notifications when motion is detected. Have you tried it and it didn't work?

Offline ehillis

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2012, 09:29:41 am »
i can't get it to work for 8904's. These cams have no positioning capability but do have motion. I am getting a little confused as to which settings have to be set with what though.

Offline ehillis

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2012, 10:39:56 am »
Foscam 8904

Cam

Offline ehillis

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 10:41:47 am »
8904 continued

Offline Trotsky40

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2012, 11:02:38 am »
@ mcvflorin

The new update seems to fix everything. Thank you for the speed of the updates/fixes!

I have a question that may not be related to the Foscam plugin. I have one camera that resets once or twice a day (a defective camera I'm sure, but it is not severe enough for me to bother with returning it). This results in the camera being offline for 15-20 minutes.

I had been running it on port 8093, but I noticed that when Vera loses communication for a period of time it appears to attempt to connect on the default port of 80. I would then have to input the correct port 8093 back in Vera, communication would be re-established, life is good... until the next reset. So my next thought was to change the LAN side port on the camera to 80 (leaving the external WAN port at 8093 for my other Foscam software). The thinking was that Vera would continue to check port 80 until the camera was back online, communication would be re-established, life would be good...

However, Vera appears to "give up" on the camera and doesn't seem to try to re-establish communication after a period of time. I have only given it about an hour, but will Vera eventually try to re-establish communication or is there a setting I can adjust to make this happen?
Vera Plus- A wide variety of z-wave devices, a few zigbee devices, Sonos, and Phillips Hue bulbs via Hue Bridge.

Offline silvereagle2208

Foscam IP Camera Plugin - My Vera3 will not accept ConfiguredMD = 1
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2012, 11:10:40 am »
@mcvflorin

How do I get my Vera3 to download  the new Foscam app Version 2.2?   My Vera3 MyApps tab shows that I am still running Version 2.1.  However, when I click on the Foscam app title it shows Version 2.2.

Because I am still running Version 2.1 might be the reason why my Vera3 system will not accept a ConfiguredMD value of 1 on any of my five cameras.  After a Save, the value is reset to 2 during the Save process.  I had a couple of cameras where the 1 value remained for a couple of minutes, but in the end all of the cameras had a ConfiguredMD value of 2.

What is the purpose of the ConfiguredMD variable?

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2012, 11:42:10 am »
@ mcvflorin

The new update seems to fix everything. Thank you for the speed of the updates/fixes!

I have a question that may not be related to the Foscam plugin. I have one camera that resets once or twice a day (a defective camera I'm sure, but it is not severe enough for me to bother with returning it). This results in the camera being offline for 15-20 minutes.

I had been running it on port 8093, but I noticed that when Vera loses communication for a period of time it appears to attempt to connect on the default port of 80. I would then have to input the correct port 8093 back in Vera, communication would be re-established, life is good... until the next reset. So my next thought was to change the LAN side port on the camera to 80 (leaving the external WAN port at 8093 for my other Foscam software). The thinking was that Vera would continue to check port 80 until the camera was back online, communication would be re-established, life would be good...

However, Vera appears to "give up" on the camera and doesn't seem to try to re-establish communication after a period of time. I have only given it about an hour, but will Vera eventually try to re-establish communication or is there a setting I can adjust to make this happen?

Do you happen to have the mac address field for this camera entered with the camera's mac address? If you do, Vera will loose communication with the camera if it is not on port 80. Meaning if the mac address field has the mac address of the camera in it and the camera is on another port other than port 80, you will experience connection issues. To correct this, you can remove the mac address from the mac address field and all should be well.

- Garrett

Offline Trotsky40

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2012, 11:47:25 am »
@ mcvflorin

Do you happen to have the mac address field for this camera entered with the camera's mac address? If you do, Vera will loose communication with the camera if it is not on port 80. Meaning if the mac address field has the mac address of the camera in it and the camera is on another port other than port 80, you will experience connection issues. To correct this, you can remove the mac address from the mac address field and all should be well.

- Garrett

Yes, I do have the MAC address field entered to use photo archiving feature. I'll take it on this camera to see if it resolves the issue. Thank you for the information.

Offline silvereagle2208

Foscam App V2.2 Finally Downloaded - My Vera3 is not happy
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2012, 12:40:54 pm »
mcvflorin,

The Foscam Camera App V2.2 finally downloaded on my machine.  My Vera3 is not happy.  All four of my Linksys WVC80N cameras, which use the Foscam Camera App as their impl_file now show "Failed to configure camara" after every reboot.  My Vera3 keeps setting the ConfiguredMD setting of these cameras to 1.  The Linksys cameras had no problem with V2.1 of the Fosccam Camera app.

My Vera3 keeps setting the ConfiguredMD setting of my two Foscam FI8910W cameras to 2.

Initially, the ConfiguredMD of all 6 cameras was 0, but after several reloads, my Vera3 decided that Linksys cameras should have a value of 1 and Foscam FI8910W camera should have a value of 2.

I looks like getting this app to work in a mult-type, multi-camera mode is a real hornet's nest.  The images from all the camera still work well, but the Motion Sensor functionality is another matter.

Offline Trotsky40

Re: Foscam App V2.2 Finally Downloaded - My Vera3 is not happy
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2012, 01:52:37 pm »

My Vera3 keeps setting the ConfiguredMD setting of my two Foscam FI8910W cameras to 2.

I may be wrong but I think that is what it is supposed to do. I have three Foscam FI8910W cameras and all are set to ConfiguredMD=2 (and working) after I changed it to a 1 this morning.

I interept the ConfiguredMD as: 0=Motion Detectors Disabled, 1=Reset/Reload Motion Detectors, 2=Motion Detectors Enabled

I don't have a programming background but after trying to get these to work yesterday I think I am getting the hang of it. When you enter 1 in ConfiguredMD, the plug-in logs into the Foscam cameras and makes changes to the camera's parameters. One of changes it makes is to set the "alarm_http_url" which tells the camera where to notify Vera that motion has been detected (this is why you need to input Vera's IP address). Your Linksys cameras probably don't operate in the same way so the Vera is stuck on ConfiguredMD=1 since it can't complete the operation.

Offline Trotsky40

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2012, 02:22:46 pm »
If the motion alarm on the Foscam camera is working but it isn't showing up on the Vera check the camera's parameters page. You can access through your browser at: "http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:####/get_params.cgi"  filling in the x's with your camera's IP address and #'s with its port. You'll be asked for your camera's password before it loads. This page will show you all of the settings for camera, many of which aren't accessible from the Web GUI.

Scroll about half way down and you should see a section with settings labeled "alarm". Look to see that "alarm_http" is set to "1" (meaning enabled) and the "alarm_http_url" is pointing at a URL with the Vera's IP address.

The Foscam Plug-in should be correctly entering all this, but you can manually enable the alarm_http by entering this in your browser: "http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:####/set_alarm.cgi?http=1". Changing the URL is a little trickier but same general idea.

One thing I found interesting in the parameters page is that there is an option to enable alarms based on sounds. I am going to play around with that a little this weekend.

Offline Trotsky40

Re: Using Foscam IP Camera Plugin
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2012, 02:38:59 pm »
@Trotsky40
I do not agree with your request that if you set the BYPASS mode on the new Vtera Foscam Motion Sensor device that you want it to turn of Motion Capture on the parent IP camera as well.  I regard the camera motion detection as my baseline.  I do not want Vera to override my baseline.  At most, I want Vera to supplement my camera baseline.  If you want a button on the Foscam Motion Sensor tab to override the camera motion detection, then there needs to be 3 buttons: Armed, Bypass, Turn Off Parent Camera Motion Capture.  This new motion module is still too experimental.  I also consider it to be somewhat unnecessary, since I feel the prime location where camera motion capture should be Enabled/Disabled should be on the camera itself, with Vera providing supplemental functionality.

After thinking about this more, I agree with you on this. Using motion dection to turn lights on and off at a certain time of day is an auxillary function that can be handled by Vera and the bypass is a good way to manage this. The "heavy lifting" of motion detecting (logging, recording video and photos) should be done and managed by the cameras directly.

Offline silvereagle2208

Foscam IP Camera Plugin and Linksys WVC80N cameras
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2012, 03:33:32 pm »
@Trotsky40

Thanks for providing me with the meaning of the ConfiguredMD settings.  I now understand why mcvflorin asked me to set the ConfiuredMD setting to 1 on my camera: It forced the camera/motion detector to reset itself.

Now that I better understand the purpose of ConfiutredMD, it appears that in its present form my Linksys cameras will not be able to use it.  The Linksys cameras could coexist with Version 2.1 of the app because it did not work properly.  However, the code that works with a Foscam camera, does not appear to be compatible with a Linksys camera.  I believe the mcvflorin will have this sorted out in a couple of days, but in the meantime, users with non-Foscam cameras wll need to be patient and enjoy the fact that their FI8910W cameras now have increased Motion Detection capability.