Author Topic: Recommended motion sensors  (Read 3704 times)

Offline golksc

Recommended motion sensors
« on: November 02, 2018, 08:48:19 pm »
Pet immunity, zigbee, battery, small bathroom. 
Any recommendations for this application?  I have looked through many products but the information on the sensors is quite poor.  One more question is if the battery is low, can a Vera hub read this in the sensor and send an alert? 

Offline Cristina

• Support
  • Sr. Newbie
Re: Recommended motion sensors
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 06:40:37 am »
Hello,

You can take a look on the following pages, from our compatibility list:

http://getvera.com/portfolio-posts/centralite-motion-detector-3/

http://getvera.com/portfolio-posts/centralite-micro-motion-sensor/

http://getvera.com/portfolio-posts/nyce-ceiling-motion-sensor/

http://getvera.com/portfolio-posts/nyce-motion-sensor/

Also you have the possibility, as soon as a sensor ( Zigbee or Z-wave ) is paired with our controller to setup a notification for low battery.

Thank you and Have a nice day,

Offline golksc

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 08:20:33 am »
Cristina, thanks for the recommendations and information on low battery notification in Vera.  That helps!

I looked at Nyce and Centralite and (it seems) neither have pet sensitivity.  So my small pet walking around will turn on all my lights.  I have contacted the companies - zero response (no product support is a concern also - anyone from Nyce or Centralite reading?  ??? ). 

If anyone knows to the contrary and has some basic directions on setting up pet sensitivity at the sensor or in Vera, please let me know. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 08:24:16 am by golksc »

Offline Jamr

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 04:46:53 pm »
This is an old trick I learned many years ago.
Most Z-Wave motions are not made with pet immunity in mind.
Most motion sensors aim their IR beam downward and straight out, We use to mount the sensor just above the height of the tallest pet and turn the motion upside down so the IR beam would aim straight out and up and the pet could walk under the IR beam.
Being upside down, I don't see any reason it would inhibit the functioning of the sensor. But I may be wrong.
Maybe this could work for you? Let us know if it works for you.

Offline shallowearth

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 04:52:33 pm »
The Fibaro Motion sensor is one of my favorite of for this.  It is z-wave but very easy to position.  Put the sensor low and point the cat eye up.

Offline leedavidr

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 08:05:33 am »
I installed Ecolink PIR2 sensors about two years ago.  They show battery levels and are specifically designed to not detect pets (supposedly).  They are installed in a vacation house and detect motion when a friend checks on our house. I have 6 of them installed.  I had no problem paring them to my Vera Plus but have not updated firmware recently to see if they work with the new firmware versions.  No child devices come with these, so you don't get temperature, etc., but rather only motion detection.  I do have one of these located in a small room with windows that has apparently had two false positive events in which no one was in the house (friend checked it out), but none of the other sensors were triggered.  It could have been triggered by something outside the window (shades drawn), but the arch window pane above the shades could have had a bird going by?

Here is a link to these sensors on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Z-wave-Detector-install-Immunity-PIRZWAVE2-5-ECO/dp/B01MQXXG0I/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

To be clear, these are Zwave+ plua not Zigbee, which I failed to noticed when I first responded to this thread.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:28:02 am by leedavidr »

Offline rigpapa

• Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 10:28:54 am »
I installed Ecolink PIR2 sensors about two years ago.  They show battery levels and are specifically designed to not detect pets (supposedly).  They are installed in a vacation house and detect motion when a friend checks on our house. I have 6 of them installed.  I had no problem paring them to my Vera Plus but have not updated firmware recently to see if they work with the new firmware versions.  No child devices come with these, so you don't get temperature, etc., but rather only motion detection.  I do have one of these located in a small room with windows that has apparently had two false positive events in which no one was in the house (friend checked it out), but none of the other sensors were triggered.  It could have been triggered by something outside the window (shades drawn), but the arch window pane above the shades could have had a bird going by?

Here is a link to these sensors on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Z-wave-Detector-install-Immunity-PIRZWAVE2-5-ECO/dp/B01MQXXG0I/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I use these as well and they are probably the most reliable of the motion sensors I have used, although I am now down to only two types: this Ecolink and the Aeotec MultiSensor 6. Even in busy rooms, the Ecolinks need battery changes only about once a year, compared to 3-4 changes in the Aeotecs.

They are less configurable than the Aeotecs (at least, the version/generation I have). The internal reset period (the time they have to not see motion to send their "all clear" message--i.e. once it sees motion, it won't try to sense motion again until the reset period has expired) is high by default (four minutes, which is typical for motion sensors in alarm applications to prevent nuisance triggering and preserve battery life), and there's only an on-board jumper to change it to a "Test" position that reduces it to 4 seconds. I also think these sensors are a little "slow", sometimes taking 2-3 seconds before the Z-wave message goes out, which may be a function of its pet-immunity. But, as I said, they're very reliable, and the batteries last.
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3 sandbox.