We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Mutiple Vera's  (Read 3181 times)

Offline aschwalb

Mutiple Vera's
« on: July 06, 2012, 12:28:33 pm »
@garrettwp

First off GREAT job.  Your app works well.  I have 4 Vera's in my home (1 Vera 3 and 3 VeraLites) which are bridged.  While I can connect to my Vera 3 to see all the devices, it sometimes makes sense just to connect to one of the units.  Any thought as to allowing the user to select easily from a list which Vera they want to connect to versus having to modify the setup?

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Mutiple Vera's
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 12:49:32 pm »
This is on my list. But will require some heavy back end changes and tweaks to the UI. I do not have a projection date / version that this will be added.

- Garrett

Update:

Looking at the code. It may not be too much work to implement in the next version 2.1. I am trying to get the next version to allow for custom intents (allow 3rd party apps to have control of the devices e.g. tasker, Llama, NFC apps, etc). Allow for better 3rd party plugin support (allow for me to incorporate 3rd party plugins upon request), Home screen widgets, and other minor tweaks. As you can see a lot is being done and it will be some time until this version is available.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 01:04:23 pm by garrettwp »

Offline Piwtorak

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 02:43:06 pm »
Aschwalb....

I will go have 3 or more vera3 in my project....

do you knows like I can setup this to build one network only ???

thanks !
Vera3 (1), Airport Extreme (2), Apple TV (3), Sqblaster (1), GE Switch (3), GE Dimmer (1), Leviton VRCSZ2 (2), GE 45601 (1), Intermatic HA03 (2), GE Zwave Outlet (1), Remote Control Curtain (1) and growing.

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 03:11:47 pm »
Thanks @garrettwp...  just appreciate the good work... 

@Piwtorak

This works very well.  A couple of things to note.  First, search for bridged mode in the forums.  Many discussions on this which will help.  Basically you create seperate zwave networks on each vera.  For example in my home the north half of my house, the south half, the third floor and garage all have a vera.  Each zwave device is attached to the most proximate Vera and when you log into Vera you see only those devices.  Then you bridge them...  the Wiki explains that. But basically over your Lan the vera can import the upnp device from the other Vera.  And you can have each Vera import the other Vera's so each Vera can 'see' all devices.  This works quite well since your Zwave network is strong and proximate with a Vera.  The only draw back is that if you have scene controllers your scenes need to be developed on the Vera that has the scene controller attached to its zwave network.  ALso there will be some latency when controlling a non local (via zwave) device (a bridged device).  Not long but 500-1500 ms...

Offline Piwtorak

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 03:22:12 pm »
thanks for explain aschwalb !

I will read the docs.
Vera3 (1), Airport Extreme (2), Apple TV (3), Sqblaster (1), GE Switch (3), GE Dimmer (1), Leviton VRCSZ2 (2), GE 45601 (1), Intermatic HA03 (2), GE Zwave Outlet (1), Remote Control Curtain (1) and growing.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 07:53:40 am »
aschwalb,

I added code for multiple vera's. I had to make a bit of modifications to the app and need to make sure that I did not break anything or cause any new errors. I also now need to rethink how I need to go about using custom intents (e.g. via tasker, Llama, NFC apps, etc) and widgets with multiple Veras. Wigets will cause the most head aches because each Vera unit has it's own database and that will need to be loaded at the time for the widget. Looks like I have some fun ahead of me.

- Garrett

Offline Piwtorak

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 09:40:48 am »
I think if someone have access to developers of vera3, can say for them put a mode in vera 3 to repeater zwave signal with 1 only vera3 with all devices and anothers simply repeating the signal...because in my case the home is big and I will have to change connections in my control app to disparate scenes in another environment different that I can be in that moment.....turn vera3 in repeater zwave signal is difficult ???

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 12:21:04 pm »
Piwtorak,

This is what bridging mode does. You have your Vera 3 as the top level and you have the additional veras bridged to the main top level Vera 3. The main Vera 3 will have access to all of the devices of the other Vera's that were bridged. Think of is as a tree diagram. Only the top Vera will have access, all the other Veras below the main Vera will only see the devices that are associated with that Vera. You would than need to create the scenes in the main Vera if you want to control any other device that is located on the other Veras.

What aschwalb is asking is that he would like to have access to the other Veras if needed. When bridging Veras, there can be a slight delay that aschwalb mentioned earlier. The other benefit of having multiple Vera support in the app is that you may have other Veras installed in a vacation home or rental property.

- Garrett

Offline Piwtorak

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 03:02:20 pm »
ok....I understand now.
thanks !