We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Introducing HomeWave: an easy-to-use remote control app for Vera  (Read 128098 times)

Offline benr

• Everywhere And Nowhere
Re: Introducing HomeWave: an easy-to-use remote control app for Vera
« Reply #135 on: December 30, 2013, 04:15:35 pm »
Man, been wanting to get this app but Ive been hoping it would go on sale and drop in price during the holidays... Sad to see that so far it hasnt. Sounds like its much better than the Vera Mobile app which badly needs some love.

Offline PurdueGuy

« Reply #136 on: December 30, 2013, 05:59:34 pm »
Man, been wanting to get this app but Ive been hoping it would go on sale and drop in price during the holidays... Sad to see that so far it hasnt. Sounds like its much better than the Vera Mobile app which badly needs some love.
It's just $6.   Compared to some other apps, that's ridiculously cheap.   And considering a switch costs minimum $30, it's nearly nothing.
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon

Offline benr

• Everywhere And Nowhere
« Reply #137 on: December 30, 2013, 08:58:12 pm »
It's just $6.   Compared to some other apps, that's ridiculously cheap.   And considering a switch costs minimum $30, it's nearly nothing.
Yes yes yes I understand that logic very well, but youre talking to guy who has over 250 apps on my phone and I HATE ads so I have purchased all of them that had paid versions. Ive had iOS devices almost since the beginning and have accumulated a lot of paid apps and I pretty much always wait for them to drop in price to save a bit on money on my iOS software investment. Usually I use the AppShopper app to track and alert me when apps in my WishList go on sale.

Offline DeltaNu1142

« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2013, 07:51:04 am »
Had you gotten in early, you could have saved $2.

I've since bought the app for my wife's phone at full price. Somehow I never find myself wishing I hadn't dropped the money on it...

Your paid apps are a sunk cost.
Vera 3 @ UI5 | HomeWave | PLEG

Offline mda

« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2014, 03:20:43 am »
@intveltr I am having some orientation trouble on my iPad (iPad 2 os 7.0.4) mounted on the wall in landscape. if I turn off "iPad sliding home screen" all of my controls are oriented in portrait (except for my navigation home screen)

I am just missing a setting to fix this? Thanks.

(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/06/equ4uguh.jpg)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mda

« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2014, 04:34:52 am »
A couple more questions if I may:

- Is there a way to get homewave on the iPad to black out the screen after it is idle for X seconds while keeping the iPad awake/unlocked staying connected to Vera  (and a touch will wake up the screen) ? If not, is there a way for homewave to maintain its connection to Vera when the iPad is locked so that a swipe returns immediately to a connected and updated homewave ?

- is there a way to hide the top bar with the ? and i icons etc on the iPad to help it look more streamlined when mounted on a wall?

thanks !

Offline intveltr

« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2014, 12:33:19 pm »
Hmm, seeing the same now on my iPad.  No fix unfortunately, I will address it in an upcoming release, but for now I suggest using the sliding home panel.

There is no setting yet to black out the screen after a certain time, but you can have it go black if a certain light goes dark on your Vera.  The timeout option is planned for a later release.

The top bar can't be hidden, but I may add an option for that at some point.
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline mda

« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2014, 04:17:16 pm »
Thanks !

Offline intveltr

« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2014, 09:48:54 am »
@intveltr I am having some orientation trouble on my iPad (iPad 2 os 7.0.4) mounted on the wall in landscape. if I turn off "iPad sliding home screen" all of my controls are oriented in portrait (except for my navigation home screen

This appears to be an issue that occurs when you exit the app, turn off the sliding home panel, then go back into the app.  If you close and kill the app and restart, you should be good.  (Will address this in the next version).
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline haavard

« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2014, 07:05:19 am »
Hi,
Is it possible to set how much the ipad screen should dim when you use the auto dim function?

regrads

Offline mda

« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2014, 02:46:15 am »
+1

i would love to be able to set it to go completely black after X seconds of inactivity (without losing connection to vera), then wake when touched. That would make it much easier to use Homewave on my wall mounted iPad in the bedroom.

Offline intveltr

« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2014, 04:37:19 am »
Making the screen dim after a certain amount of inactivity is planned. Note that it's not possible to set the dim level, nor can the screen be made completely black. The latter is a limitation of the iPhone os.

Offline benr

• Everywhere And Nowhere
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2014, 12:45:00 pm »
Had a quick question regarding a security and HomeWave. How does the app store the MiOS username and password? Is it only locally stored? Backup with iCloud? Backed up in some way with the developer? Despite the great reviews (and how much I like the app so far) Im still a little leery of giving a third party app my MiOS username and password. Especially being that I have no idea what information the app might be sending anywhere. No offense to intveltr intended, but with all the information leaks and hacks the media is blowing up these days I feel more and more and very concerned about such things.

Offline mda

« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2014, 02:07:02 pm »
@intveltr, thanks! would it be easy for you to put a big black box over everything (or worst case change the colors of text, rings, foreground, background, etc. on the visible screen and home to black)? that might get it close enough to black to work in a bedroom. then a touch would eliminate the dim and the black overlay or black color scheme?

i have noticed the latest version seems to take a little longer to re-establish the vera connection when the iPad wakes. being able to do the above would eliminate the re-connect time completely, making it more like a dedicated home automation control panel, and that would be super if possible! Thanks.

Offline intveltr

« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2014, 02:54:32 pm »
Had a quick question regarding a security and HomeWave. How does the app store the MiOS username and password? Is it only locally stored? Backup with iCloud? Backed up in some way with the developer? Despite the great reviews (and how much I like the app so far) Im still a little leery of giving a third party app my MiOS username and password. Especially being that I have no idea what information the app might be sending anywhere. No offense to intveltr intended, but with all the information leaks and hacks the media is blowing up these days I feel more and more and very concerned about such things.

Your MiOS password is stored in your iPhone's keychain, an encrypted repository provided by iOS for this purpose. When you save the configuration to the app's file area or Dropbox, the MiOS password is stored in the file after which the entire file is encrypted; it can only be read by HomeWave. The password is not stored anywhere else nor is it transmitted anywhere but to MiOS, using SSL.

That makes it reasonably secure (not 100% especially if your device is jailbroken).