Author Topic: Geofencing?! Anyone!? Anyone?!  (Read 573 times)

Offline kevink619

Geofencing?! Anyone!? Anyone?!
« on: November 10, 2018, 04:10:41 am »
What is the point of having a Geofencing feature when it's been broken for many months now? And it seems there has been zero effort to fix it? This will be the last Vera device I ever own!

Offline Inzax

Re: Geofencing?! Anyone!? Anyone?!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 07:59:49 am »
Agreed.  Geofencing has been a problem for vera for a long time.  It didn't work...then it did...then it didn't.  A hot mess for sure.  Google changed something regarding geolocation that limited apps on how often they could get the information.  There is a fix but it would require updating/re-writing the vera app.  I am guessing since the acquisition nothing is going to happen until the new management gets a hold of the operation.   

I have adjusted my scenes for leaving and arriving to compensate for the geofence issue. 

I have found that netmon app works pretty decently for arrival scenes.  You might want to give it a try. 

Using it for away scenes can work but you might have issues when your smartphone turns off its wifi at home.

Proud Member of the Epic Smite Thread.
VeraSecure; Concord 4 Panel; 6 IP Cameras; Imperiehome; Housemodes; system monitor; DeusexmachinaII; Vera Concierge

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 07:06:02 pm »
The iPhone Locator apps has worked very well for us for a number of years.
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101, Everspring motion sensor, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 12:34:39 pm »
Is Geofencing just an issue on the android platform?

I still also have a couple of Windows phones 950xl and 930 and it has always worked really reliably on them, however I have never had it work on my Android phone.