Author Topic: M&S Intercom and z-wave?  (Read 5363 times)

Offline 1976vera

M&S Intercom and z-wave?
« on: July 12, 2012, 09:48:20 am »
Hi,
I have a M&S intercom and whole house music system in the home.  Can vera 3 be used to play music, answer door bell etc?

Thanks in advance.

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
Re: M&S Intercom and z-wave?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 04:15:03 pm »
No, sorry. You could use a Squeezebox or Sonos as an input for your WHA system and control that with Vera but I don't think you'll get much farther.
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.

Offline 1976vera

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 04:22:23 pm »
No, sorry. You could use a Squeezebox or Sonos as an input for your WHA system and control that with Vera but I don't think you'll get much farther.

Thanks SF.  I will see if the existing wiring can be leveraged.

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 07:49:37 pm »
Really, it's probably not about wiring and more about the number of inputs your WHA system has and how you control them. You can just add a Sonos as an input just like a CD player or something and then you have control..... of a sort.
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.

Offline 1976vera

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 11:22:12 pm »
ok.  will read up on it.

Offline unclfuzzy

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 11:13:00 am »
OK.  So I just signed a contract on a house with an older M&S intercom and whole house music system.  It has a door opener that unlocks the a strike plate. At the very least I'll be adding a z-wave deadbolt to that. 

I could just retrofit the intercom system with the newer model and still have basic intercom, door control, and music, but I would much prefer to have a "smart" intercom system that can be integrated with everything else.  What have people done on this front?  Are there better suited intercom systems that would use the existing (four-wire I assume) cabling? 

I could just yank it all out and start from scratch, but if I can do something cool with what's already there I'm all ears.

I should add that I will have Sonos in all the rooms where I want music.  What I really would like is an addressable intercom that I can use to add functionality to a whole home automation system.  Or maybe just use it for voice control. Not really sure yet but hopefully someone else is already doing some cool things that I can get ideas from.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:15:11 pm by unclfuzzy »

Offline DeltaNu1142

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 08:51:19 am »
OK.  So I just signed a contract on a house with an older M&S intercom and whole house music system./quote]
I'm in the same boat here, and curious if you found anything.
Vera 3 @ UI5 | HomeWave | PLEG

Offline niharmehta

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 04:39:11 pm »
We never use the M&S Intercom in our house for music or any other reason. Basically its being used to pipe the doorbell through. 
On my list of future projects I was thinking of replacing the M&S speakers with wall mounted tablets and using the existing wiring to transfer 24v from the existing power supply.  This would go to a 24V-5V USB converter which would power the tablets.

The tablets could be used for Vera control, music control, security system, security cam, etc.   There are even Android based intercom apps that use local wifi. 

I am several months out before I can start on this one.
2x VeraLite; 2xTrane Tstats; 45 x Switches/Dimmers/Appliance Modules; 4x Everspring Water Sensors; DSC Integration; 2 x Zwave Door Locks; 1x Ted5K; 1x Rainforest Eagle; Onkyo AVR; 6x Squeezebox;

Offline DeltaNu1142

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 04:47:10 pm »
Can you say why?  Do you have another WHA solution, or do you just not use WHA?

I'm curious because I'm moving into a house with one.  I was looking around today & found the Linear DMC-10AWP, which provides RCA audio inputs that plug into the Linear hub so that sound can be distributed to every station.  The house we're moving into has a master + 7 room stations + a door station, and I think it'd be good to use those for WHA.  There are two in-ceiling speakers outside, and a room with five in-ceiling speakers, but I haven't been able to figure out yet where the other ends of those wires are...  but I'd expect them to be driven separately.

Offline niharmehta

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 05:38:45 pm »
No real technical reason it would work fine . As for WHA, I have several Squeezebox systems in my home.

My kids are young and prefer to communicate using  mechanically amplified analog waveform acoustic transference methods   (aka. yelling downstairs).   I chose to buy Squeezebox systems for their rooms to serve as an alarm clock and avoiding having to stream Disney Radio 6 hours a day everywhere in my house.

I have family  that has a newer M&S retrofit that provide better sound quality hooked up to a Squeezebox Touch through the analog output and works well and sounds as good as the speakers can drive.  Since the Touch is no longer, you can use a Raspberry Pi as a player as well if you go the Squeezebox route.

My older > 12yr system does not sound as good as putting a dedicated player and the cost of retrofit, I could have a few new tablets serving a much more functional purpose. 

If you are starting out with WHA, then tying it to your existing intercom is a good first step in my opinion..  Using a Sonos or PI/Squeezebox is an easy way to add functionality. 

Eventually if there is a need, I could just incorporate a BT speaker in the room next to the tablet which could also run as a squeeze client
2x VeraLite; 2xTrane Tstats; 45 x Switches/Dimmers/Appliance Modules; 4x Everspring Water Sensors; DSC Integration; 2 x Zwave Door Locks; 1x Ted5K; 1x Rainforest Eagle; Onkyo AVR; 6x Squeezebox;

Offline DeltaNu1142

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 08:51:05 pm »
I consider wall-mounted iPods/iPads to be an inevitability...  but I'm trying to come up with reasons why an AV receiver connected directly as an input to the Linear intercom system, and controlled remotely by Apple device (via Bluetooth hardware or manufacturer app) wouldn't be a great WHA solution.  The intercom system in this house is from the original construction in 2005 & looks to be of pretty recent revision.

Offline niharmehta

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 11:20:26 pm »
Putting an Airplay or BT receiver device behind the M&S main control center is a great way of getting whole house audio.  The only reasons I can figure why the intercom may not work is lack of audio zone flexibility, and sound quality. 
As long as you want the same channel on every intercom, its probably where I would have started if I had a more recent system with better sound quality.

I could retrofit my speakers if I wanted, however just figured IPad/Nexus tablets would be so much more interesting.  Add a good quality BT speaker and/or Chromecast type device in a room and it could eventually be an interesting solution eventually as those things mature.