Author Topic: All battery powered devices shows incorrect battery levels  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Srki

All battery powered devices shows incorrect battery levels
« on: November 10, 2018, 04:41:04 am »
Hi,
Does anyone have the problem with Vera Plus of incorrect battery level presentation after battery replacement in a device? This problem is valid for all my battery powered devices (Fibaro motion sensors, fibaro smoke detectors, aeon multisensors etc). When I change the battery at 5%, it will not show 100% whatever I do, it stays at 5%. Only solution is to exclude the device, factory reset it and include it again. If I don't change the battery in time it will show the message "Can't detect device" and it will not respond again even after a battery replacement. In that situation, the only way to use the device again is to exclude it, factory reset it and include it again. This is very frustrating, and all of this started happening with the firmware version 1.7.4001. I previously had the problem with all my devices, with the massage: "Can't detect device", but after 15-20 exclusions, factory resetting?s and inclusions it is now gone. Vera have really big issues, I hope they can fix this crappy controller. Is there any fix for my specific issue?

Offline Ionut S

• The handler
  • Global Moderator
  • A Tribute to Dedicated Insanity
Re: All battery powered devices shows incorrect battery levels
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 07:00:26 am »
Hi,

Replacing batteries could be tricky for some devices, if the device does not respond for an extended period of time or you change it while the device is going through the "Automatic Wake-up" process, the device might lose connectivity with the controller.

Usually after you change the battery you have to "Wake-up" the device, you could either wait for the automatic one or manually do it, but if you manually do it you will have to bring the sensor close to the controller, around 5-10ft would be the safe distance and recommended one.

However, excluding and re-including should be required when you change the battery, waking the device up should be enough.

If you think that this issue is deeper than just "Distance of process or time to complete", please email us with the exact details of the issue and each device affected so far so we could look into it.

Also, you will have to Enable Tech Support and provide us with the string: Settings -> Customer Care -> Enable.

Our support email address is: support@getvera.com

I'm waiting for your reply! Cheers!
Slow and steady till' you're ready.
- Customer Care -

Offline Srki

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 02:22:04 pm »
Thank you for the answer.
I am pretty sure that this is firmware related. With previous firmware I could change the batteries for the same devices without any problem. When I change the battery, it takes only couple of seconds, I cannot imagine that I am changing exactly when the device is going through the "Automatic Wake-up" process for all the 5 sensors that I so far have had problems with. Waking up the sensors does not work. I e-mailed customer service before regarding the "Can't detect device" but they couldn?t provide any solution. It is the usual, exclude and include proposal. I will e-mail customer service but sorry that I am skeptical, I assume you will propose the same thing for this issue.

Offline Srki

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 02:37:03 pm »
I tried the proposal from http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,111472.0.html

Pushing the manual wake-up button several times did not work, but after couple of times pressing that button, removing the battery and putting it back worked for me also.

Offline Ionut S

• The handler
  • Global Moderator
  • A Tribute to Dedicated Insanity
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 01:51:15 am »
I e-mailed customer service before regarding the "Can't detect device" but they couldn?t provide any solution. It is the usual, exclude and include proposal. I will e-mail customer service but sorry that I am skeptical, I assume you will propose the same thing for this issue.

Depending on the situation, I cannot simply say that removing and re-adding is the best option, we have to see what causes the device to display that error message first, it could be Polling, bag signal, device related, Vera related...Sending us an email with your concerns is always a good option, I do understand that it didn't go "as planned" in the past, but we are trying to do our best each time with for every client and sometimes it just doesn't work, but we won't call it quits just because it didn't work once, so please, have a tiny bit of faith and give it another shot when you have the time.

If you want, I could open the ticket for you, let me know how you want to deal with it.

I tried the proposal from http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,111472.0.html

Pushing the manual wake-up button several times did not work, but after couple of times pressing that button, removing the battery and putting it back worked for me also.

Kudos for "Rafale", it makes me jealous and happy at the same time.

Cheers!
Slow and steady till' you're ready.
- Customer Care -

Offline Odysee

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 08:32:18 am »
Hi,

I've got the same problem with my fibaro smoke sensor. Batterie was replaced, but status stays at 5% for a few days now. I'll try to remove and putting it back...

Offline Jukka

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 09:29:32 am »
Hello Odysee

I had the same problem with my Fibaro smoke sensor that is in my summer cottage. I had to read the manual that is included with the sensor. If I remember correctly, I had to press the button that is in the center of the sensor (I don?t remember how long). Then to remove the old battery and replace it with the new. After that the battery status was updated..

I don?t have the manual here, so I can?t check what is the right way to do it. Read the manual..

Offline Odysee

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 10:40:58 am »
You're right:

BATTERY REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE:

1) Detach the sensor from its cover by turning the device counter-clockwise.
2) Remove the flat battery from the device. Then press and hold the B-button for
3 seconds.
3) Insert a new CR123A battery observing the polarities shown inside. Visual
indicator will signal Z-Wave network inclusion status (green - device included,
red - device not included).
4) Test Fibaro Smoke Sensor?s operation by performing a self-test (see p. VI).
5) Attach the device into the cover by turning clockwise.

I detached/attached the battery and pressed the button randomly. So I did that by mistake ::)