We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Question / Feature request  (Read 1659 times)

Offline PurdueGuy

Question / Feature request
« on: September 06, 2012, 04:39:58 pm »
I haven't developed an app on iOS before, so this might not be possible.

I am using HomeWave and liking it!   I have been thinking about wall-mounting an iPod Touch, and running HomeWave on that.

Does iOS allow an app (when running) to turn the screen on and off?  I was wondering if HomeWave could watch a device (virtual switch) and use that as a "screen on/off" signal.  I'd love to be able to turn the screen off during movies, when away, overnight, on vacation.  It could turn off when it sees the switch go off, and turn back on when the switch is turned back on.  Then I could use Vera scenes to control the switch to meet my needs.

I was hoping to be able to turn the screen completely off, but if that's not possible, maybe just the backlight?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:03:44 pm by PurdueGuy »
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon

Offline intveltr

Re: Question / Feature request
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 06:20:10 pm »
Good idea!  Someone else already suggested a screen saver feature to turn the screen off (or dim it) after a certain amount of time, but linking it to a virtual switch makes a lot of sense.

Turning the screen off isn't possible I think, nor is dimming (Apple does not allow that) but it can be made to display a fully black window of course :)
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline PurdueGuy

Re: Question / Feature request
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 06:23:21 pm »
Great!   Let me know if you need any help testing.   ;D   (granted, I will be gone all next week)

I have a "flashlight" app (by Apps from Outer Space, LLC) that allows for dimming the screen by dragging your finger up and down, so it used to be possible, but maybe that's been removed.
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon