We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Leviton scene controller won't control scene  (Read 8373 times)

Offline nicholas.couture

Re: Leviton scene controller won't control scene
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 08:36:09 am »
Thanks for the reply PurdueGuy.

I now understand the behavior of the scene controller even if there is no association on the off event of a button. I was under the impression that the button was merely treated as an event that would trigger a Vera scene, not that Vera would send the association to the controller. That raises questions and concerns.

1) If Vera sends associations to the controller. Will the 5 controller limit be a problem for the devices if they are associated to more than 5 controllers? (I was planning to assign a "all off" scene including most devices to more than 5 controllers).

2) Is there a way to force Vera NOT to associate the devices to the controller and just trigger a Vera scene on a scene click instead?

Now I am a bit screwed. I decided to do some more tests this morning and wiped all the controllers from Vera. I figured that maybe there was a problem with the way the controllers were configured and by reassigning them, it might fix the problem. Now I am trying to include them again and I can't succeed. I get the devices added but when Vera tries to configure them, The messages 'can't get any information from node' followed by 'the node cannot be configured' come up. I tried a couple times without any success...

I have a Vera Lite, latest Firmware and the scene controllers are Leviton RZCS4.

Please if you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Offline PurdueGuy

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 02:17:30 pm »
Thanks for the reply PurdueGuy.

I now understand the behavior of the scene controller even if there is no association on the off event of a button. I was under the impression that the button was merely treated as an event that would trigger a Vera scene, not that Vera would send the association to the controller. That raises questions and concerns.

1) If Vera sends associations to the controller. Will the 5 controller limit be a problem for the devices if they are associated to more than 5 controllers? (I was planning to assign a "all off" scene including most devices to more than 5 controllers).

2) Is there a way to force Vera NOT to associate the devices to the controller and just trigger a Vera scene on a scene click instead?

Now I am a bit screwed. I decided to do some more tests this morning and wiped all the controllers from Vera. I figured that maybe there was a problem with the way the controllers were configured and by reassigning them, it might fix the problem. Now I am trying to include them again and I can't succeed. I get the devices added but when Vera tries to configure them, The messages 'can't get any information from node' followed by 'the node cannot be configured' come up. I tried a couple times without any success...

I have a Vera Lite, latest Firmware and the scene controllers are Leviton RZCS4.

Please if you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

1) I am not sure if Vera assigned reverse associations.   I think it might, but I'm not 100% positive.

2) If #1 is true, you could try making a delay of 1 second, and put all devices "off" in that delay.  Vera will only program associations for devices that are listed under "immediate" since that's all Leviton controllers can handle (they don't have the concept of timing/delays).
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon

Offline nicholas.couture

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 03:07:40 pm »
Thanks!

Very good idea about the 1 second delay. If this works, it could solve my 10% scene problem. As soon as I succeed adding the controllers, I'll give that a try :).

Offline nicholas.couture

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 05:36:32 pm »
I posted a question on how to include controllers properly and oTi answered. I posted my findings in the other post but will copy them here to help anyone finding this thread.

Success! I was not waiting long enough for the inclusion to complete. It takes quite a while in my case (over 1 minute maybe).

Now that I can include the controller I could go back to my tests and do the following observations:

1) If a scene involves only switches, assigning a scene to a controller button works quite well.
2) If a scene involves dimmers, the results from pressing the button vary from either setting only a portion of the requested % or a fraction of the devices. The scenes triggered form the Web interface work fast and flawlessly.
3) As suggested by PurdueGuy, setting a delay on dimmer scenes before the scene gets triggered solves the problem. The dimmers get all set at the requested %. The LED on the controller however does not get set.

I then have a workaround for triggering scenes from the controller if I am not too concerned with the LEDs not working and the small delay. However, this is still strange is it? Am I alone with this problem?

Offline PurdueGuy

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 05:56:13 pm »
There is definitely something wrong with the Leviton controllers and dimmers, and oTi@ filed a bug on it.

Which controllers do you have? If they are the newer ones, you should be able to let Vera manage the LEDs so they appear appropriately.

Since switches seem to work correctly, can you leave the switches in the "immediate" delay, and put dimmers in the "1 second" delay?*  The problem with LEDs might be due to how Vera presents itself to the Leviton controller.  Since the controller doesn't actually talk to any real "scene capable" switches, it doesn't think the scene was set correctly, and therefore never turns on the LED.

* Note: the delay could extend to a longer delay, since Vera will first set all devices in the "immediate" category before moving on, which could take longer than 1 second.
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon

Offline markiper

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 09:06:40 am »
Thanks PerdueGuy; I will try the 1 second as you mentioned on your post (I am not in the place where Vera3 is located).  For now, since I had to get Vera3 working, I just set the brightness levels of the Zwave Leviton dimmers (VRI06-1L and VPR03-1L) to 95% instead of having them 100% and the Leviton scene and zone controllers are working properly.

In short, the problem of Vera3 (version 1.5.408) not controlling Leviton dimmers properly seems to have a lot to do with setting a scene to full brightness.  If you set the brightness value to anything lower than 99% (on the advanced tab of the ON scene); the Leviton controller will not have a problem handling the trigger and association (LED status on the Leviton controller is 100% accurate).

Thanks for you help; hopefully there is a solution for this issue coming up in the near future.  Leviton and Vera2 used to work properly, I do not understand why on Vera3 the functionality was broken when using the latest firmware (1.5.408).

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 09:51:18 am »
Linking to another topic on this.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline SolarExec

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 12:27:28 am »
I was just tinkering with my controllers and noticed this post. I am not a guru on any of this and please pardon me if I am covering previously covered ground, but my Leviton four button controllers have been working fine for past two years (I have four of them) controlling various scenes. Here is how I got them to work:
1) included it in the z-wave following the instructions by pressing button 1 & 3
2) once device shows up I  click on the set-up wrench and go directly to the "Advanced" tab (see below)
3) scroll down to box that says "Scene Shortcuts"
NOTE: In order to use this box you need to know your scene numbers (if you click on the set-up wrench on the scene the number is on the top left though I am sure there is a more efficient and elegant way to discover this). 
4) type in first the on buttons 1=x,2=x,3=x,4=x followed by a line character "|" then the off positions 1=x,2=x,3=x,4=x (where x is the scene number you want to activate)
5) click save and the next time you open the controller on the first screen of the setup it will list the names of the scenes you have programmed (see picture).

A couple of additional notes - you will see in the screen shots that both on and off are the same. I have found that with complex scenes (most of these involve more than a dozen devices) it is just more effective if the user is only given one option per button so that when they press it multiple times because something did not happen instantly, it does not create conflicting commands. On simple scenes (e.g. light on or off) it works fine to use two different commands. For the LED's to work you need to click that box on the scene page (as mentioned elsewhere). Also, just ignore the drop-down boxes on the scene page.

Probably old hat to you guys but in case there are other neophytes here who find this useful, I wanted to share. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:31:17 am by SolarExec »