Author Topic: Fibaro smoke sensor and temerature sensor  (Read 817 times)

Offline kawaduce

Fibaro smoke sensor and temerature sensor
« on: November 18, 2018, 06:49:30 am »
First of all, I have owned my Vera secure for approximately one week, so I'm this far very new in the Vera-world... BUT because of that, I chose to buy devices with native support. The device I am having trouble with is a Fibaro FGSD-002...
After succesful pairing, I get two buttons marked on/off - but when I google, everybody else seems to have an "armed" icon. And the icon for the sensor is the same as generic z-wave devices get.
Do I have to make any tweaks after a succesful pairing? Because Vera can't commuicate with the device - but the device can communicate with Vera... If I try to change from off to on, I get different error codes - but if I change from off to on and then press once on the fibaros B-button, communication mostly words, and Vera reports a success. Feature och bug?
The temperature sensor seems to be working fine though, and has a dedicated temeprature-icon.

So... What am I doing wrong? Or can it be the Fibaro device that is faulty? Anybody have similar experiences?

I use firmware 1.7.4002 on the Vera, if that might help explaining what's going on.

Cheers, and any pointers will be humbly accepted!

Offline kwieto

Re: Fibaro smoke sensor and temerature sensor
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 05:04:07 pm »
I have 2 FGSD-002's and don't have issues you described. I have two devices visible in Vera - one is the main sensor (I can arm/disarm it), and the other is temperature sensor.
You may exclude and include again your unit Keep it close to the controller during this procedure and a couple of minutes after you will pair it, as sometimes it takes some time until device will exchange proper configuration with the controller.

If this won't help, you may change configuration data for your device - I assume that in Vera you see two devices, one for main sensror and the other for a temperature sensor, right?
You should go to the main sensor settings, in the advanced / params tab, and put following data:

device_type: urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:SmokeSensor:1
device_file: D_SmokeSensor1.xml
device_json: D_SmokeSensorWithTamper1.json

Offline jp1980

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 03:14:22 pm »
Many thanks for the help Kwieto.

I reported the same problem in a different subforum:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,111647.0.html

I have 3 smoke sensors running and they all got these parameters:
device_type   urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:GenericIO:1
device_file     D_GenericIO1.xml
device_json   D_GenericIO1.json

I changes these to your settings and I can now arm them and use them as trigger for scene's. So that is good.

However how can I be absolutely sure that these settings made my alarm system fully functional? This device is impossible to test so I need a bit of trust that when the smoke alarm is triggered my scene get's activated. Our lives may literally depend on it. How is this possible to test without starting an actual fire?

I'm not really happy as a starting vera user that such a simple thing can be so challenging. I'm feeling I may have picked the wrong controller here...  :-\

Offline kawaduce

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 04:27:00 pm »
Ok... Great input!! Also got mine working! In parallell with this thread I have also been in contact with support - and they have been great as well, fast response! They also found some files needed to be updated on the controller - same as you describe in this thread.

As far as testing functionality, I guess an old fashion test with actual smoke should do the trick?! In some stores I know you can buy a can of "test smoke", an appealing option to starting an actual fire... 😎

There is an option to create a group in the smoke sensors settings. Will this make all sensors sound alarm even if only one is triggered? Or am I on the wrong track? I have not been able to find any documentation regarding the sensor when used in a Vera environment... any and all pointers greatly appreciated!

Offline kwieto

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 03:17:43 am »
However how can I be absolutely sure that these settings made my alarm system fully functional? This device is impossible to test so I need a bit of trust that when the smoke alarm is triggered my scene get's activated. Our lives may literally depend on it. How is this possible to test without starting an actual fire?

You may test the device with the procedure described in the manual. According to the manual, your smoke sensor makes self test every 10 seconds, but you can also force it manually (see chapter VI of the manual)
In this case you should hear the built-in siren and the alert message should be sent to the controller.
By the way, the built-in siren is pretty loud, so even if your communication with the controller is not performing well, you will be alerted (at least if you are at home).

Offline kwieto

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 03:24:03 am »
There is an option to create a group in the smoke sensors settings. Will this make all sensors sound alarm even if only one is triggered? Or am I on the wrong track? I have not been able to find any documentation regarding the sensor when used in a Vera environment... any and all pointers greatly appreciated!

Associations work regardless of the controller. The question is if FGSD-002 can process received alert message properly. Looking into manual, I would try association group IV for that. Then you may perform manual test and see what will happen.

Offline jp1980

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 04:10:21 pm »

Associations work regardless of the controller. The question is if FGSD-002 can process received alert message properly. Looking into manual, I would try association group IV for that. Then you may perform manual test and see what will happen.

Thanks I will perform this test when nobody but me is at home, because it is really loud I noticed earlier. Didnt know this manual test also triggered the controller.
Only minor issue now that the device is still listed as generic I/O device type, however I don't think this has any disadvantages.

I really doubt that in any case I will hear the unit. My house is quite new and has really thick concrete between living room and sleeping room. And I'm a really good sleeper!

The fire alarm in the bedroom won't sound, however the scene will switch on the bedroom lights and can also already open the outside blinds in the bedroom to provide an escape route, and also the sound of the blinds pulling up is an extra audible alarm.

Offline jp1980

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 04:17:55 pm »

I believe fibaro smoke sensor does not actively listen to receive communication to save battery. Only the fibaro device can initiate communication with the controller. So I think there is no way of triggering the alarm in a scene or by association.

Offline kwieto

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 04:51:18 pm »
As for the icon, you may try changing device category and subcategory.
According to the manual, alert is sent also to the controller. Didn't check it on smoke sensor, but I have a CO sensor (not from Fibaro, some no-name bought on Aliexpress) and that one I tested once and it triggered the alert in the controller.

For device appearance in the inteface, you can try to change device category and subcategory. In my case it is category 4 and subcategory also 4

I believe fibaro smoke sensor does not actively listen to receive communication to save battery. Only the fibaro device can initiate communication with the controller. So I think there is no way of triggering the alarm in a scene or by association.

Good point.
From the other hand, I have a battery operated siren and it can process alert message immediately. I don't know how this is solved, but I don't think it is "active" all the time. I think it is "try and see" - you may check
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 04:56:11 pm by kwieto »

Offline jp1980

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 03:05:02 pm »
For device appearance in the inteface, you can try to change device category and subcategory. In my case it is category 4 and subcategory also 4

Thanks. It works. Although it took a few minutes for this change to reflect. Hopefully all important parameters are now set.

Good point.
From the other hand, I have a battery operated siren and it can process alert message immediately. I don't know how this is solved, but I don't think it is "active" all the time. I think it is "try and see" - you may check

The fibaro just polls the controller once in a while. If the controller has something it wants to sent to the smoke sensor, it will wait until the unit polls the controller. When polling the controlle has an oppertunity to send command. There is a 'wakup interval' setting in the settings of the device, which is 4200 seconds by default. Thats 70 minutes. I think lowering it will hurt batterly live.

Offline kwieto

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 04:04:00 pm »
Yeah, I know how polling work in general.
In fact it is a bit more complicated than you described, because you have one more parameter called wakeup. Device wakes up in a certain period of time (i.e. every 30 minutes) and checks if there are any new commands to process.
The controller polls this device in another timeframe (it may be different than the wakeup ratio) and tries to connect it. if it can't, then waits till next wakeup of the device to process the data.

But as I said, I have battery operated siren, which for have some battery saving capabilities, but can react to the alert message sent from the controller immediately.
I've just checked its settings and it seems that it doesn't have configurable wakeup period, so it acts like standard device. Smoke sensor have wakeup configurable so I guess it won't process alert messages immediately.

Offline kwieto

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 05:27:19 pm »
I did tests and it seems that for both of my sensor the alert signal is not transmitted to the controller during manual test.
I don't know if this is correct behavior or not. Can anyone perform such test and see if alert is received by controller or not?

Offline jp1980

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 04:30:41 am »
I did tests and it seems that for both of my sensor the alert signal is not transmitted to the controller during manual test.
I don't know if this is correct behavior or not. Can anyone perform such test and see if alert is received by controller or not?

I have just performed a test and my scene doesn't run with a fire alarm test. On a Dutch reseller website I also saw someone write this as a negative aspect in the reveiws. So I tried something else and made a scene for the 'Tampered' event. What really worries me that this scene doesn't run when I remove the cover. Maybe I need to adjust another setting, however currently I don't have time to investigate. However clearly I need some more reassurence that everything is working fine i'm not 100% confident.

Offline kwieto

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 05:22:51 am »
Mine doesn't report tampering as well. It is configurable in the device options, but by default it is set to yes.
It seems that the only way to clarify if sensor works is to perform a real test.

Offline jp1980

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 03:54:50 pm »
Mine doesn't report tampering as well. It is configurable in the device options, but by default it is set to yes.
It seems that the only way to clarify if sensor works is to perform a real test.

Really, I have only limited options in this menu like 'Update neighbor nodes' and 'Add configuration settings'.
Nothing about a tampered event.

I start to feel that the support for this device is not so good. A smoke sensor is a product you have to be able to rely on. It should be absolutely avoided that future software updates breaks compatibility as this goes by unnoticed until an actual emergency occurs. They should look into stabilizing the software is my opinion. I love the fibaro smoke sensor device I start regretting my choice of controller.