Author Topic: Trigger second light based on dimmer level  (Read 147 times)

Offline UKDemon

Trigger second light based on dimmer level
« on: November 20, 2018, 08:45:13 am »
Hi, hope someone can give me a little advice please.
I have an Aeotec nano dimmer in a room and that room has a conventional second switch and light, what I am wanting to do is to have the second light turn on when the dimmer goes above ~80%. The problem I have is that I want to use an Aeotec wall swipe to control the dimmer and I only have a single switch plate (that currently has 1 normal switch and 1 x push button for the dimmer) and if I install the wallswipe then there is no room for a second switch.
So on to my problem, I can set a normal trigger within my VERA Plus based on power use of the dimmer, however this is normally only updated up to a minute after the setting has changed, I could decrease the polling time for the dimmer but to get it to an acceptable delay it would be polling constantly and I don't really know what effect that would have on the network! Vera does report the lighting level percentage immediately after any change in level, but setting scenes doesn't allow for triggering based on %, just energy usage goes above xx Watts Etc.
I have tried playing with PLEG previously but all the examples I can find and help seems to relate to older versions and have struggled to configure with any real success so I'm hoping for a simpler way to achieve what I would like! :-\
Hopefully one of you might be able to point me in the right direction?
Thanks

Offline rigpapa

• Beta Testers
Re: Trigger second light based on dimmer level
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 09:20:36 am »
Reactor (plugin) can easily respond to dimming level. The recipe is simple, just use a "service" condition, select the dimmer device, and the "LoadLevelStatus" variable with operator >= and value 80, for action as you describe.

For the current version of Reactor (1.8 ), you need a scene to turn on the second light. Select that scene as the "trip" action on the "Activities" tab. In an upcoming version, you'll be able to perform this action directly on the Activities tab without a scene.

Side note: the Reactor condition could also have the "sustained for" option and a short period (say 15 seconds) enabled, so that is someone accidently raises the dimming level past 80% and then lowers it within that time, it doesn't turn on the second light--allowing for user "error" in your conditions. To get to that option, click the downward-pointing arrow next to the value field where you entered "80" when creating the condition.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:50:28 am by rigpapa »
Author of Reactor, DelayLight, SiteSensor, Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, Intesis WMP Gateway, Auto Virtual Thermostat and VirtualSensor plugins. Vera Plus w/100+ Z-wave devices. Vera3 sandbox.

Offline UKDemon

Re: Trigger second light based on dimmer level
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 03:45:44 am »
That's great, works a treat in a test that I have just done! I knew there had to be an easy option out there somewhere! :)

Now I just need to wait for someone to get stock of some WallSwipe faceplates!  ;)

Thank you! :)