Author Topic: Antenna on Vera3 -- extending?  (Read 83996 times)

Offline JGreen1280

Re: Antenna on Vera3 -- extending?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2013, 11:29:17 am »
Thanks for the update!

I just received the last part yesterday (it was lost in the mail so the vendor shipped a new one).
I haven't installed it yet, only because MicasaVerde says it will void warranty, so I am looking for a way to fabricate an antenna mount to avoid having to drill or screw any holes into my vera 3.

I received my antenna a few weeks a go;  didn't realize that the  5dbi antenna I purchased was so long (a little over 1 or 1.5 feet long). The 3dbi is likely much smaller.

Offline Chris

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 06:52:24 am »
I've now also completed my little modification  ;) and I'm quite happy with the result. All devices have gone to 5* signal on the heal report, where previously I had a number that were only 1 star.

Personally, I'm not too bothered about the warranty issue (but that's just me). I've had my Vera over 12 months, so I'm not actually sure if the warranty still applies!

The modification is pretty simple. I've attached a picture of my finished product (with the top removed). You can clearly see the z-wave board and the new antenna. The internal antenna is glued to the top of the Vera case - I taped over the connector to electrically insulate it, and then taped it to the top of the case (being careful to avoid covering the ventilation holes!).

Cheers
Chris

Offline davidd1205

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 11:54:51 am »
I've now also completed my little modification  ;) and I'm quite happy with the result. All devices have gone to 5* signal on the heal report, where previously I had a number that were only 1 star.

Personally, I'm not too bothered about the warranty issue (but that's just me). I've had my Vera over 12 months, so I'm not actually sure if the warranty still applies!

The modification is pretty simple. I've attached a picture of my finished product (with the top removed). You can clearly see the z-wave board and the new antenna. The internal antenna is glued to the top of the Vera case - I taped over the connector to electrically insulate it, and then taped it to the top of the case (being careful to avoid covering the ventilation holes!).

Cheers
Chris

good job

where have you purchase the antenne ? and connector

thanks
best regards

Offline Chris

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 12:19:01 pm »
I bought them both off eBay - a 10cm SMA chasis to UFL cable, and an 868MHz antenna (ANT-900MR).

I've moved my Vera back down the other end of the house - previously it couldn't reach all the devices from there, but now it can. I'm just running a heal to see what the signal is like, but it seems to be working nicely  :)

Chris

Offline davidd1205

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 01:01:39 pm »
I bought them both off eBay - a 10cm SMA chasis to UFL cable, and an 868MHz antenna (ANT-900MR).

I've moved my Vera back down the other end of the house - previously it couldn't reach all the devices from there, but now it can. I'm just running a heal to see what the signal is like, but it seems to be working nicely  :)

Chris

thanks

i have found
http://cgi.ebay.fr/5pcs-IPEX-UFL-To-SMA-Male-Adapter-Cable-10cm-0016-/281012536442?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416da7047a#ht_646wt_946
and
http://cgi.ebay.fr/EASY-RADIO-ANTENNA-WHIP-90DEG-868MHZ-ANT-900MR?item=121043612207&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5036194860928454618#ht_2459wt_1139

it 's good ?

Offline Chris

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2013, 01:15:45 pm »
Yes - the antenna looks like the same one I bought and the cables look fine as well. I found a supplier selling just a single cable here -:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370640100553?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Cheers
Chris

Offline davidd1205

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2013, 01:26:52 pm »
Yes - the antenna looks like the same one I bought and the cables look fine as well. I found a supplier selling just a single cable here -:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370640100553?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Cheers
Chris

cool
thank you very much I'm ordering to change the scope of my too short vera lite

i

Offline parkerc

• Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
    • Node Central
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2013, 05:58:55 am »
Hi @Chris and @rondave

How are thing going?
Have you noticed anything strange occur yet?

Can you now see Vera (node 1) listed in the neighbours list of certain devices where it was not listed before ?

Are there any improvements in the log file, do you see fewer NO ROUTE messages ?

I wonder what the range is now with this antenna, has it changed things to work more in a unicast mode rather than a multicast ? (I think that is the correct terminology)

@rondave do you have any photos to share of your modification ? If so, it would be appreciated.

Offline Chris

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 07:18:13 am »
How are thing going?
Fine here -no problems at all. ..

No - I wouldn't expect anything though.

Can you now see Vera (node 1) listed in the neighbours list of certain devices where it was not listed before ?
I've not looked at the neighbours list, but I can now communicate with devices that couldn't even be seen before.

Are there any improvements in the log file, do you see fewer NO ROUTE messages ?

I wonder what the range is now with this antenna, has it changed things to work more in a unicast mode rather than a multicast ?
Not quite the right terminology I think - mulitcast means one to many where you really mean single versus multi hop routes. I do see some data being routed still (assuming my interpretation of vera data is correct!) But at least now I can see all my devices and most have 5* signal :)

Cheers
Chris

Offline parkerc

• Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
    • Node Central
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2013, 10:32:56 am »
Thanks @Chris

What you've done is really encouraging and shows promising feedback (so far)...

I do wonder why MCV did not go for the bigger antenna, I can only assume it was a cost decision? Yet on the Vera 3 it would surely have been less of a barrier, compared to the 'budget' Veralite

Looking at the Fibaro Home Center 2 - that uses a more obvious external antenna

Offline rondave

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2013, 11:46:50 am »
How are thing going?
Fine here -no problems at all. ..

No - I wouldn't expect anything though.

I've not looked at the neighbours list, but I can now communicate with devices that couldn't even be seen before.

I wonder what the range is now with this antenna, has it changed things to work more in a unicast mode rather than a multicast ?
Not quite the right terminology I think - mulitcast means one to many where you really mean single versus multi hop routes. I do see some data being routed still (assuming my interpretation of vera data is correct!) But at least now I can see all my devices and most have 5* signal :)

Cheers
Chris

I confirm everything Chris has stated.  I didn't take any photos before I closed it up.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2013, 11:56:59 am »
There are directional ceiling mount antennas available as well ... If you can get your Vera Up High and blast all of the energy in one direction ... down.

Offline Chris

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2013, 12:20:39 pm »
I do wonder why MCV did not go for the bigger antenna, I can only assume it was a cost decision? Yet on the Vera 3 it would surely have been less of a barrier, compared to the 'budget' Veralite
Two possible reasons -:
  • There are regulations that state a maximum EIRP (basically, power) that you can transmit in the unlicensed bands that everyone uses (433MHz/868MHz/2.4GHz/etc) and in order to use them for anything you sell you need to keep the power below this level. Maybe Vera is transmitting at maximum power?
  • Cost! And the ease of adding the z-wave module to the router, which I believe is basically what MCV do.

My bet is it's #2 - especially if the Fibaro unit has an antenna (although EIRP is a combination of antenna gain and transmit power, so this isn't a 100% guarantee without knowing the Fibaro power). If it's #1, then the interesting point is that from a system perspective you need to balance receive and transmit performance (there's no point in transmitting to the world if you can't hear them come back!). So, a lower transmit power, and a better antenna would have been a better option (since antenna performance helps both receive and transmit).

Cheers
Chris

Offline Minnies

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2013, 09:07:05 pm »
Any clarification for parts required for US systems 908.42MHz? Each of the links above look like European so I am not sure if they would work on 908.42 MHz.

I concur with what has been stated. I have 2 locks that do not communicate consistently. One is about 15 ft away and the other only 4 ft (mostly below) that is for the very closet Vera is in. Having more switches in the vicinity does not work. I have 6 switches in the near vinity and a scene controller as well. Locks do not seem to like hops.

Offline jackpot

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 09:37:23 pm »
@Minnies,

This is what I just ordered from ebay. Should know if it works in about 3 weeks (comes from China)
I suspect it will work fine on 908mhz.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-900MHz-3-5dBi-tilt-and-swivel-SMA-Omni-GSM-Antenna-for-wireless-router-/150978282080?pt=US_Directional_Network_Antennas&hash=item232701c260
Vera 3....1.5.622