Author Topic: Location information  (Read 212 times)

Offline Scarab

• Sr. Newbie
Location information
« on: December 03, 2018, 03:22:47 pm »
Does anyone know where Vera pulls the location information from?  My town (newer town, only incorporated in 1887) is not on the list.  It is frustrating as the list contains places that don't actually exist (sections or nick names of towns without their own zip code, post office, or government). 

Here in Massachusetts there is an official list our state website.

https://www.mass.gov/lists/cities-and-towns

Offline Don Phillips

Re: Location information
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 08:26:48 pm »
Perhaps it is the size of the city? Mine was founded in 1803 and has a population of about 14,000 and is on the Vera city list.
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101, Everspring motion sensor, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa

Offline reneboer

• Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 05:10:09 am »
For our country (the Netherlands) they only list the counties and not the towns or villages. For me it does not matter too much. You can select the closest and then update the latitude and longitude values to match your actual location. Those are the only values realy used for anything as far as I can see.

Cheers Rene
2xVeraLite, VeraEdge, openLuup, ALTUI, 20 switches, 10 dimmers, 20 sensors, 10 scene controllers, 1 Harmony Hub, many plug-ins. Not enough time.

Offline Scarab

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 09:31:18 am »
Perhaps it is the size of the city? Mine was founded in 1803 and has a population of about 14,000 and is on the Vera city list.

My town has just shy of 30,000 people.  There are many towns listed with less.  There are also sections or nicknames for areas of towns listed with less than 14k. 

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 07:48:55 pm »
For our country (the Netherlands) they only list the counties and not the towns or villages. For me it does not matter too much. You can select the closest and then update the latitude and longitude values to match your actual location. Those are the only values realy used for anything as far as I can see.

Cheers Rene

My wife's sister lives in Vlijmen, outside of Den Bosch. We may be visiting her this winter (she is not well). What part of The Netherlands are you in?
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101, Everspring motion sensor, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa